How rare are BMW x3 m40i loaners?

, ,

Digging through old posts here, it seems like they weren’t extremely hard to find a few years ago. Now I can’t find anything. Are these just becoming more and more difficult to get?

1 Like

Not common enough in numbers to be putting into loaner regularly.

1 Like

I assume basically nonexistent…

1 Like

I think this is a 2024 demo…

https://www.fieldsbmwnorthfield.com/new/BMW/2024-BMW-X3-Chicago-e1c8c3b30a0e0a9a2d62f34c1c836b37.htm?

Edit, and a loaner…

https://www.caseybmw.com/inventory/new-2024-bmw-x3-m40i-awd-suv-5ux83dp06r9u24801/

Wow, thank you! Any brokers wanna try and hop in and get a deal done on these?

The thing about reaching out to random dealers is that one does not know how they operate and we’re generally not willing to make our client the guinea pig for a transaction.

That may be fine for an individual but IMHO, it’s just not good business practice.

3 Likes

The SQ5 is a far superior program this month among 6 cylinder German SUVs

Ahh I understand

I have seen those deals also. I am more of a fan of the x3 m40’s to be honest. Was hoping with loyalty and recent college grad incentives I would be able to pick up a loaner m40 for a decent price.

One the key components of a loaner deal is that they are typically discounted far in excess of a new car deal, even more so since most lessors now reduce the rv on loaners.

With an x3 m40 dealers are well aware they can offer an additional 2% off and someone will take it. As mentioned it’s pretty more rare to see the more high end / limited models make into the loaner pool to begin with and even when they go for sale it’s not the same percentage off an equivalent standard x3 would get.

2 Likes

The performance BMW gas loaner market is terrible. It gets worse when you go look at performance SUVs. My suggestion is to just grab a new one if you really want one. The sweet spot for bmw loaners is 5/3 series.

2 Likes

Thinking about buying a used cpo. ~3 years warranty left on some of these. Thinking it’ll be much more cost effective in terms of depreciation than paying a lease in the $30,000- $40,000 range for 3 years.

Good idea. @li8625 bought an x3 m40i new and he is more underwater than that submarine

6 Likes

Yeah, if CPO is up your alley, it’ll make a lot of sense to go that route instead of leasing. You’re already aware that you’re looking at a new(ish) BMW M-Lite. So it won’t be the cheapest use of your money. Try to get the best deal you can with the approach you’re most comfortable with.

This one may be too high mileage for your liking, but it’s about to hit 90 days on the floor. Most used car shops that are run efficiently want to turn over inventory within 90 days so they don’t get hit with diminished value of their inventory collateral. If you’re serious about doing a deal they should be able to discount further… maybe $40k? Maybe $35k? Who knows haha. Good luck hacking!

https://www.rallyebmw.com/inventory/certified-used-2021-bmw-x3-m40i-awd-suv-5uxty9c00m9f31238/

I was just at that dealership earlier this week looking at this car. I was ready to buy it but didn’t have remote start. Living in New York, it’s pretty rough without that, basically my only “need” on a car spec wise. Dealership said they couldn’t add it on this model either which was a shame.

1 Like

Bummer… this one is way more expensive (but is way newer and has remote start). If its geographically “close enough” it seems like a unit with room to haggle.

It’s been on the market almost 4 months. They found a way to re-set the “time on market” on most used car sites. Sneaky. If you’re interested, give them a call and see if it’s in the ballpark of what you think you were going to spend. Can’t be leased of course.

Edit: by the way the reason I didn’t link you to any CPO units closer to NY, is because it seems mildly used X3 m40i turn over really quickly near where you live. The average days aged is like 30. That to me means dealers are less willing to cut a deal, so the transaction price may be higher than if you found a more aged unit outside of NY and haggled.

There is a point where saving $500 by spending $500 on travel makes no sense, so these distant cars may not make sense for you. I don’t have any affiliation with these dealers.

Eehhhh nevermind I thought this had remote start since I saw it on the listing. But the option info shows no remote start.

2 Likes

Dodged a bullet

1 Like

Yea, I’ve been looking aggressively pretty much throughout the tri-state area. Got 1 or 2 cars I’m actively pursuing now so we’ll see how it all works out. What are your thoughts about buying a cpo without seeing it and getting it shipped to me? I’ve never bought a car without seeing it, but the cpo does add another level of security to me.

IMO if you are getting your first car out of college, I imagine that you will want to see/drive it before you commit to spend a ton of money.

I am aware the likes of Vroom/Carvana were/are targeting younger buyers that view vehicles as appliances. So, these vehicles were delivered to a doorstep with no haggling. And with a refund option to return the car within 7 days.

However, since you’re trying to haggle on demos and used cars… you are going about this in a more traditional sense. So, you’re not going to have an option to refund a car. That’s why I think taking on something of this magnitude out of the blue just doesn’t feel like a good idea.

Eventually, when you’re older and more jaded about automobiles … it’s possible you will stop caring so much about a specific car. At that time, you may be fine getting one shipped sight unseen knowing you’ll live with the oddities.

1 Like

Don’t put too much value on the CPO process. I test drove a car that I could tell immediately that it needed new rotors. Another one had rock chips all along both sides of the car

CPO’s only value is the extended warranty and even then it’s only BMW’s mid tier (“Gold”). you’re better off buying non-CPO that’s within the new car 4/50k warranty and adding BMW Platinum (higher level of coverage)

2 Likes