How much do the car salesmen make on each deal?

I am two for two on selling cars to customers when promising free high-fives for life. Me great.

4 Likes

You’re probably right

I have been thinking about moving to SoCal to sell high line or exotics but it is tough to move across the country and not know what to expect.

1 Like

Texas and FL are strong markets with lower cost of living. CA isn’t bad if you end up at a decent store.

Trouble is I bet the decent stores are in the highest cost of housing/living areas.

California can be dreamy, but the cost is high. I still kinda wonder how regular-job-having people swing it here. By that I mean like regular $75k salary professional style jobs, let alone service folk and those in the early part of their career.

:bat:

1 Like

Also: sun dollars. In Northern California there is demand for certain office jobs pushing salaries up. Which shocked me about San Diego is, for instance, a network or database administrator with 10+ years experience that would make 100 - 120K in DC or New York city, with those same skills will take the job in San Diego for 80-90k (and in LA maybe a few bucks more). Even those hottest tech jobs at PE/VC funded companies aren’t paying nearly as much at this end of the state.

But I know 3 guys who were in the car biz in the DC area who all moved here at different times and they are all killing it.

I played around with some of the cost of living calculators (Chicago to LA) and the variances are huge. Some say I need to make $500/mo more and others say $3000/mo more. But it really depends on the dealer. It would suck moving there and going to a bad dealer.

I’m confused, why is NYC on this list? COL is lower in San Diego, why wouldn’t you expect a paycut if you’re making a lateral move?

Hottest tech jobs are AI/ML research scientist, data scientist. L3 dev or scientist at Snap makes north of $300k. If comp is your goal you need to target the right companies. Every sweatshop next door in the bay is VC funded but some of them still pay :peanuts: :peanuts:

Don’t forget to add in their absurd taxes. Get ready to grab your ankles once that first paycheck comes in.

2 Likes

I get taxed at 10.30% state. :neutral_face:

Now we know you are rich.
Bernie! Rich guy right here! ^

3 Likes

The last thing I need is more taxes…

If I wasn’t 19 and living with my parents I’d be in TX or FL already :grimacing:

1 Like

If you make enough to hit 10.3% on the state bracket then you are definitely in the right place doing the right thing.

3 Likes

It’s been awhile , but I did sales for a high volume ford and Lincoln dealer in the North East for a few years from 2010-2013, on deals such as LH deals, we would get paid a “flat” which was 100 bucks commission, basically a flat was any deal where the dealer profit wasn’t enough for my pay plan commission to be more than 100… even if the dealer lost money on a vehicle, I always got paid at least 100 per car. I also had a tiered salary based on the amount of cars I sold the month before, starting at 150 a week, and toping our at 400 a week if I sold more than 25 cars the month prior. My sales commission % was also tiered based on the number of cars I sold the month before. I don’t remember exact %s but I think it was from 5-10% depending on the tier… my commission was on front end only, so at 10% the front end profit would have needed to be more than 1000 bucks for me to make anything over the flat… we also got monthly spin money for moving certain models etc directly from the manufacturer… all said I made around 90k a year as a top 3 sales guy in the dealer ship. Majority of my deals were flat commissions of 100 bucks, but about once a week I would make a lot on a deal, sometimes as much as 1500-2000 on one deal.

2 Likes

No wonder all those guys are chain smoking butts all day. It’s def a high pressure stressful way to make a buck.

1 Like

How much did the buyer have to overpay for you to make 1-2k?

90k on 65 hour work week is like a $20 an hour plus time and a half for overtime. Tough trade off. Granted it isn’t manual labor but still not an easy professional until you build a customer base. Retention rate is prob under 20%

1 Like

I’m not who you replied to, but for me to make $1k, someone would need to pay roughly $4-5k over invoice if we’re talking front end only and not counting bonuses. If you average out the bonuses and include back end (not all dealers pay on this), then probably 2-3k over invoice. I wasn’t in the business for very long, but I will mention that the most I’ve ever made a single deal is roughly $4k. I also hold the record to this day at the store I worked at for most money made on a Prius. It was also a cash deal lmfao!

1 Like

I can just see that transaction.

“Well The msrp is $25,500 but…”

“I’ll give you $26,500 and not a penny more”

“Sold”

1 Like