How much do the car salesmen make on each deal?

I was just curious what do salespeople make on the average lease hacker deals? I am hearing they only make $100 or $200. Is that true?
Tough way to make a living.

On mini deals, yes, they make very little. Just like the dealerships, they make a living off those who aren’t LH’ers.

1 Like

Depends on the dealership. Most salespeople make a fixed rate per car regardless of how much money the dealership makes or doesn’t make on the car. However they also make a base salary in some dealerships as well. It’s the sales and finance managers making a killing. There is extremely high turnover in most dealers with sales people because if you aren’t at the top you aren’t making much money. The top performing sales people make well over 100K

1 Like

Has to be dealership dependent. No way the top sales person at the local Mazda dealership with mold-stained drop ceiling panels is making over 100k. perception isn’t everything, I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Perhaps not at every dealer however even that Mazda dealer what do you think the dealerships nets each year? Paying a top sales guy 100K is just good business.

I can only speak with certainty regarding Autonation. I worked in IT at their corporate headquarters for 2 years.

1 Like

None of this is matter of fact. A close friend went from Nissan sales (well over 100k) to BMW and was making 60k. Market and volume have a huge impact on salary. The more cars you sell, the more money you make.

5 Likes

Despite the thread title, if you read the first post, OP is asking about compensation for LH-caliber deals.

… and not total annual compensation across all deal types.

1 Like

This was also asked and answered early on and yearly salary definitely provides context as to why the mini deals and deal-specific compensation may matter/or not matter.

I think ultimately the real answer to this, as it is to adult diapers; is “depends.”

6 Likes

that’s part of the experience, the environment has to match the greasy sales tactics

3 Likes

There is no possible way to answer the total annual compensation question for anyone in most commissioned sales positions, without providing a range so broad it’s practically useless.

The top mortgage loan officer at a household-name megabank, for example, will make seven figures a year.

Pretty useless if you want to know what they average guy in your local branch is bringing in.

We are strictly talking car sales and someone with direct experience working for a major corporate dealership chain responded with a definitive answer and the qualifiers for it.

A salesperson is paid on profit. We’re talking new cars here, not pre-owned. That’s a whole different animal. That little area between invoice and msrp is what a salesperson is trying to hold on to. So if a hackr comes in and they net the thing out (give it away), the sales will make a “mini” or a “flat”. And those range from $75 up to $250 a car. Sometimes bigger dealers are looking at volume instead of gross so they’ll give em away just to hit their quota bonus.

Right, that would be included in “most commissioned sales positions.”

I’m confused by your comments, because I don’t think you meant to suggest that compensation for commissioned car sales doesn’t vary by a wide margin.

They also can get extra incentives like a “fast start” bonus for selling X number of cars in Y number of days to kickoff the month (or other types of fun programs like that).

I think Year 4 is when it can get good for a luxury brand. When your year 1 lease returns are coming back (hopefully), you already have a solid base for repeat business.

4 Likes

TBF comp is a very sensitive, often confidential matter and I don’t think the poster offered anything more than anecdotal “data”

If what the OP is really asking is whether LH lessees should feel bad about their deals, the answer is no.
@Jeffstokes

Here is a copy of my old payplan, for those curious.

22 Likes

8 Likes

$100 mini till i hit 70 units. Then retros to $150.

LH deals are all minis :grimacing::+1:

7 Likes

What actually qualifies as a “mini” (I get that it’s a deal where the LH folks eat away the profit)?

1 Like

So Toyota doesn’t pay you bonuses each month if you hit certain amount of units? I know the sales manager I work through said their guys don’t make much so we try to spread my deals across all of them to help them out