How long for GM Financial to close out a returned car? No invoice...yet my credit just got dinged?!

I have perfect credit and monitor it like a hawk. We turned in and leased a GM car in early November 2019. Wrote a separate check to the dealer for remaining payments due on old–and were to be billed for damage/over miles later by GMF. 30 to 60 plus days to receive a final GMF statement? The payments updated on the website to zero remaining, but we have yet to receive an invoice and didn’t see any update on the damage/millage. Our address is accurate and we receive new statements for new vehicles. Well, on the 28th I got a credit ping that GM Financial has me delinquent for $2000 (which sounds like all mileage, no additional damage).

Any advice? Is this common glitch? We’ve been waiting for invoice to pay and will pay now. I’m just worried about saying the wrong thing when I call and them using that to rationalize leaving this delinquent. We’ve leased nearly a dozen GMF cars in a row and never had this happen.

I don’t understand the question. I feel like you should be taking to GMF instead of us here.

Call them and explain your situation, ask for another lease end statement. Pay it, close the account, and either have them remove the delinquency or dispute it with the credit agencies.

5 Likes

Is the lease end statement supposed to be mailed within a certain amount of time or we were supposed to call them to settle up? Google search says GMF is notoriously awful, run-around, trying to get them to remove a credit issue. I have anxiety about calling them and saying something that rationalizes them keeping this on my report.

I can tell you for sure what’s going to keep it on your credit. You not calling them and getting this taken care of.

What makes you think they want to keep this on your credit? What you’re implying is that they may be vindictive, which is ridiculous. If you pay the lease end charge, they will want to close it too.

3 Likes

Imagine the anxiety you will have if you DON’T call them!

Bite the bullet and get it over with.

1 Like

“Keep it” on my credit as a delinquency. I’m not suggesting they’ll keep it open after we pay. I don’t want a “paid delinquency” (or however that looks) on my report for the next 7 years.

Had this happen recently with GM financial. They are incompetent. I returned a lease and 6 months later received a delinquency on my credit because I never paid the end of lease charges for “damages” and disposition. I never owed these charges because I leased another vehicle with GM which cover disposition and wear and tear up to 500 dollars. Getting them to understand this was a struggle but ultimately I owed nothing and they worked with me to remove the delinquency (took about 30 days).

1 Like

You can contest these things with the credit bureau to make sure it doesn’t show up as a delinquency. You’re not doing yourself a favor by wringing your hands and making posts here.

Call GMF and tell them you never got a end of lease statement and take care of this ASAP.

2 Likes

I asked here because I’ve never received an end of lease statement from GMF before (on any previous lease), so wasn’t sure what protocol was. We’ve always been under mileage or had the dealer buy the vehicle out.

I seriously hope for your sake that you’ve already called them and sorted this out.

3 Likes