How bad of a deal is this and how do I fix it?

So MF and RV are set, you just want to check over at Edmunds what they are for the model your interested in, to make sure the dealer is not playing game and inflating the MF.

2 Likes

Thank the dealer for their help and move on to another brand.

2 Likes

Or consider financing the car at 2-3% with your credit union if this is the one you want.

Honda’s typically don’t lease well, but in the past many of the Acura “twins” have leased better than Honda. Current Honda MF across the board seem to be much lower than usual right now.

2 Likes

If you verified their MF and RV, and the dealer is firm on the discount, you might try another dealer or look for a loaner/demo car which gives you a better discount. It looks like there’s still room on the current discount before incentives. Also try involve in more dealers to compete.

1 Like

Acuras do lease well out here in southern California.
Don’t just focus on the relatively high interest rate/MF as it’s offset by the large $8500 lease cash.
As stated above by others, shop around via email to other dealers for the exact same equipment, year, trim, to earn a lower sales price as that will be the way to a lower lease cost.

4 Likes

Maybe consider working with Bostoncarconcierge

He recently made a great offer also,

1 Like

Thank you! He reached out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How do you know unless you actually grind the deal yourself? With 3-4 hours of work firing e-mails, I’ve been able to beat quite of a few of the broker deals consistently on cars for myself or my friends. I’ve saved anywhere from 1.5K - 3K on total cash flow compared to some really well known brokers quotes with pretty minimal effort. I don’t value my time at $400/hr on an after tax basis.

3 Likes

X100 for @Bostoncarconcierge you won’t be disappointed!!

3 Likes

Thanks brother!

2 Likes

“Don’t just focus on the relatively high interest rate/MF as it’s offset by the large $8500 lease cash.”

True, but hard to overcome 5% interest on a 52K MSRP vehicle even with a healthy discount for EOY and… That’s building in 150 a month just for the rent charge

Gotta focus on a bigger discount, buy and finance cheaper or look for a different SUV. And also let Boston try to work some magic for you

3 Likes

Thanks! I actually came across that offer this morning and then when someone on this thread mentioned his name I decided to contact him. He’s on the case!

2 Likes

The $8500 is dealer cash, so it’s not taxed. You should put it untaxed incentives or more accurately for this situation, include it in the sales price.

2 Likes

Just double-checking: Do your parents really need 12K miles a year? I had a dealer give me a quote for 12K when I specifically told him 10, so I’m just making sure. I’m retired and the last lease I had was 7500.

1 Like

In theory, I agree, but, for most people, it would help clarify the true dealer discount by putting it under untaxed incentive.

Thank you so much. Despite knowing what the drives the lease price, this still took a day or two to sink in. After reading over your comment and one or two others, and looking at how you adjusted the MSRP and where you put the incentives made it clear.

So yes, the average selling price in my area for the middle trim is actually $45,017, which is almost 14% off of the factory MSRP. The advanced trim level sells at only 10% off.

Plugging those numbers in for the trim level I want gives me this:

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks!

I don’t think any way you will get 14% off before incentives on this. Also as said above, it should not be in taxed incentives

2 Likes

@Nexo917 is right. The $8,500 should be in untaxed incentives. I just barely updated the calculator in the link I posted yesterday. Like I said, I don’t know the market very well on MDXs, but above 10% pre-incentives could be hard to negotiate.

1 Like

Do you know if Edmunds TMVs average market price for an area is pre or post incentives?

Edit: Given what I’ve pasted below, does it sound like the $8500 in untaxed incentives fall into what is described in the first paragraph (below) or the second one? Thanks.

The fine print of Edmonds says:

“ TMV prices will take into account any incentives and fees that may affect the transaction price, including manufacturer-to-dealer incentives (such as dealer cash), destination charges and advertising fees (when applicable).

However, TMV prices will not include incentives and fees that are typically applied after a transaction price has been determined. These include manufacturer-to-consumer rebates (such as bonus cash), sales tax, DMV fees and dealer documentation (“doc”) fees. Here’s more about new-car fees.”

I would expect it to fall in to the first category. That 14% number you’re seeing surely includes in. But it doesn’t really matter if an average deal is 14%. Are you looking for an average deal or a great deal?

1 Like