How about a laugh button

Because some posts are so wildly outrageous that all you can do is laugh. And adding such a button next to the heart might be a good idea. Thoughts?

8 Likes

I like it but sensitive people won’t.

9 Likes

Might be a good incentive to implementing it.

2 Likes

Facebook and Yelp have it currently, I think it could be fun

1 Like

The argument against this will be the same reason there isn’t a dislike button, basically don’t want to make the community have a feature that could easily create adversarial situations. I still think it’s a good idea, but I’m sure that will be the argument against.

3 Likes

I’m all for dislike and laugh button.

6 Likes

Give us a :clown_face: button

8 Likes

Personally in favor, but likely not good for community growth or engagement

6 Likes

It might be my commitment issues but the heart icon always bothered me. We don’t know each other well enough to “love” their posts so shouldn’t it just be a “like” icon? A simple thumbs up rather than a romantic gesture? Just sayin’. :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

Even though I :heart: your post, I want you to know that I didn’t love it but I did like it.

See… that’s what I’m talkin’ 'bout.

We are all acquaintances… maybe friends… but rarely lovers. :slight_smile:

We will consider it. Personally I like simplicity. To me, heart/thumbs-up/laugh provide for a similar positive feedback. Having a list of reaction buttons like LinkedIn/Facebook over-complicate things in my opinion. You would need to think about which reaction button to use and would need to click through each reaction icon to see who exactly laughed/liked/thumbed-up a post.

With regards to a dislike button – what would we be disliking? A bad deal? A politically charged comment? Would having a dislike button prevent users from piling on (likely not because technically people can just like a previous post that said the same thing)? I am trying to sketch out the scenarios in which the dislike button would be used and assess its impact.

2 Likes

I just want a Like instead of Love… not going to be put a ring on it. :slight_smile:

Late to the party, idk what the rules on necro posting are but this post was already necro’d a few posts up so I assume I’m fine…

Maybe Facebook should be used as an example of what not to do instead of a model for how the rest of the internet should work. On FB, the laugh button has been weaponized (I hate to use this terminology because it’s stupid, but I don’t know what else to call it) to the point that people aren’t actually able to have reasonable, productive debates because as soon as one person feels like they might be on the wrong side of the discussion they just laugh react, letting them get in the last word and immediately granting them absolution. Total cop out.

It allows people to discredit a poster without actually rebutting the content of the post itself. Which would seem to go against the community guidelines which say “provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation”

I don’t see how anybody could argue in good faith that being able to laugh at a post “improves the conversation” any more than rolling your eyes at someone does.

It would be okay if people would play nice, but seeing how it’s been abused on Facebook doesn’t give me much hope.

1 Like

So correct me if I am misreading your argument here. But you are against the button because it would serve as an inhibitor of long, arduous, and oftentimes pointless debates? Many would think of that is an added benefit, along with the obvious, which is of course to just laugh at a funny/ridiculous post.

2 Likes

I think the light dressing version of it is - humans will f*** it up.

1 Like

It would be pretty great to have something like this.

See such button would be apropos here.

1 Like

If you’re constantly getting sucked into long, arduous, pointless debates and you don’t feel like responding, there’s already a button for that. “Log Out”

No need to reduce it to little disembodied cartoon heads laughing. Everyone here is an adult, nothing wrong with just using words.

I’m guessing if we had the laugh button you wouldn’t have even responded to my comment, eh?

1 Like

No laugh or dislike button…safe spaces everyone.

3 Likes