Honda Civic LX/EX/EX-T

@skildner

Congrats! That’s the exact vehicle I want. The Aegean Blue looks great.

What was your final sales price, RV and MF? Also, what state are you in? I’m trying to replicate in Texas.

Thanks. I had to wait a week for a dealer transfer to get the blue one, but it was worth it. I’m in Illinois. Sales price was $20,800, RV was 62% should be the same this month. MF was .00080. Also, don’t forget to factor in the $350 lease incentive from Honda.

If you don’t qualify for Grad or Military rebate I’d just push for $220/month with first month, doc and registration up front. I find that dealers only like to deal with final numbers anyway. Good Luck.

At which Illinois dealerships did you buy?

Grossinger Auto dealership

@skildner I tried searching but couldn’t find the $350 lease incentive… happen to have a link advertising it?

I’m totally prepared to be embarrassed when it’s super easy to find.

It’s not really posted anywhere. I got it from Edmund’s forum admins. I also confirmed it with a bunch of Honda dealers so it does exist. At lease it did in April. You can double check on Edmund’s for this month.

I’ve been trying to work all these numbers, and seems that TX apparently charges you sales tax on the whole price of the vehicle… as compared to other states which only charge you sales tax on what you pay.

Is that true? What a crazy idea, why would I pay sales tax on money I’m not spending? I try to keep an open mind in life, but I cannot wrap my brain around this one.

Yes, TX charges tax on the entire sales price.

It sucks, but no different than buying and then selling a car after 3 years where you’d pay full tax.

The difference being that with the lease it’s a 3 year rental. With the purchase it’s an indefinite ownership period. You can keep it for 30 years and never have to pay tax on it again. If you would want to buy the car at the end of the lease though you’d have to pay tax again. That’s double taxation because you’ve already paid tax on the full purchase price.

In the end they are just shooting themselves in the foot though. This practice disincentivizes leasing and people will buy cars and keep them longer. With leasing you’re almost guaranteeing that a person will pay tax continually because they have to keep getting a new car when the lease expires. They can also collect tax again when the used car that is turned in is resold. I think there are only 5 states that continue this practice. It was changed only a couple years ago in Illinois.

You didn’t need to write all this, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. But it’s no different for the state. All they know and care about is that you obtained a new car and may or may not buy it at the lease end. But they choose to collect their tax upfront regardless of how long you will keep your leased car.

I didn’t need to brush my teeth this morning either, but I chose to. I just wanted to comment on how stupid I think this practice is. It is different for the state, they are losing potential revenue. There is a reason only 5 states are doing it this way.

And there are also 31 states with death penalty. Can you tell me the reason why? If it’s not good for you, doesn’t mean states don’t have their reasons to do it.
BTW, I don’t think you have to pay tax again if you buy at the end of lease.

While we’re at it, let’s discuss abortion.

I gave you my reasoning as to why I think it’s stupid for states to do it that way.

“In the end they are just shooting themselves in the foot though. This practice disincentivizes leasing and people will buy cars and keep them longer. With leasing you’re almost guaranteeing that a person will pay tax continually because they have to keep getting a new car when the lease expires. They can also collect tax again when the used car that is turned in is resold.”

I know Illinois charged tax again on the residual if you chose to purchase at lease end (before the tax laws were changed here). Not sure what Texas does.

Let’s not.
TL;DR But I understand - states stupid, you are smart

Ignorance is bliss, no?

seems like a reasonable complaint. CA does a lot of things wrong, but I’d say this is one thing they got right (or didn’t get wrong). Might be worth contacting the governors office and complaining.

So, I’ve been trying to replicate the $20,800 deal here in TX with very little success.

I’ve emailed over a dozen dealerships within several hundred miles and some of them don’t even have EX Hatchbacks in stock.

I’ve been trying to leverage a one-pay to lower the MF and get the overall price down, but even with that the best deal I’ve received is $8,750 OTD for 33 months, which doesn’t even make the 1% rule.

Maybe I’m just bad at writing these emails, but it also feels like the Hatchback is in decent demand around TX, so they seem less willing to negotiate on it than a Sedan.

I’m getting the point where I may just take the deal to be done with it.

I’ve learned a ton about leasing in the past two months (mostly thanks to this forum :fireworks:), but I’m at the point where I’m just tired of dealing with dealerships and want to have my new car and be done with it.

The hassles of trying to get that last $500 or $1000 off is more stressful than just spending the money.

Thoughts?

If you don’t need the car immediately, keep trying. I had a second dealer come really close in price and probably would have matched the offer I got, but the first dealer was much closer for me. The guy even offered to drop the car and off and send the contract via FedEx.

Also, did you mean 36 months? I’ve never heard of a 33 month lease. $8,750 for a 36 month lease would be great deal.

These are pretty popular, but not so popular that they can’t keep them on the lot. If they make another sale, they’ll just get more on the next shipment from Honda.

Use that offer you got as leverage with another dealer. Don’t tell them which dealer though. I made that mistake once and they called the other dealer.

Keep fighting and best of luck.

Yup, I did mean 33 months. Honda offers 24 to 33 in increments of 3.

I’m trying to get my lease to end a little closer to December because that’s end of fiscal year for 2/3 of manufacturers so we see lots of good incentives then. Although I believe Honda is actually end of fiscal year in March…

Anyways, easy to extend the lease in December if the incentives are meh, then just check again Jan/Feb/Mar