Rodo (Formerly Honcker) discussion/reviews

Giving dealers a 3 strike rule wouldn’t be a bad idea!

1 Like

It’s a losing battle, unless they work the same way as our best brokers here - building personal relations with dealers and really working for their customers.

2 Likes

Should we move to Off-Ramp? Not really a Share Deals anymore

2 Likes

Agreed. 2020202

1 Like

I have a hopefully positive update. The RODO representative called me back and said another dealer in the network would honor my original deal. I will have to wait about 3 weeks for the car but since I’m in no hurry that’s fine with me. We’ll see where we end up!

3 Likes

That’s great. At least they’re trying.

2 Likes

The problem is the more success they have the less dealers will want to work with them/the worse the deals will get.

From an business school standpoint brokers make sense. Let’s take @jroueleau for example. He drives huge amounts of business to the Toyota dealership he works with. But that is probably 99% incremental business that they would not have gotten if not for him. So management can chose how many low margin vehicles to sell. They can then hold gross for everyone who walks into the showroom knowing James can move any metal they need to buyers who otherwise would never walk into their dealership and will only buy if the deal is good. In summary, hold gross in store and if needed sell cars at low margin through broker. Perfectly executed price discrimination

The problem with Rodo is that to get people in store you have to offer pretty good deals in the app… deals without much meat on the bone for the dealer. Dealers can’t afford for every deal to work like this. To stay in business they need the people putting 4k down and paying 400 a month for a Rogue or a Corella. So as more and more people use the app, they have to offer worse and worse prices or list fewer cars on it since dealers can’t afford for decent deals on Rodo to be the ceiling on sales price for the majority of buyers.

Dealers (and Rodo) need to honor advertised prices first. Once they can’t sell at that price they need to change to something they can sell at. Even if it’s only $500 better than walk-in gets. But looks like dealers use Rodo as a lead generator and not a as partner who will bring them certain % every month, I think. So they keep feeding Rodo low prices without intent to honor it for every customer.

2 Likes

I’m not saying it’s ethical to not honor the advertised deal or that Rodo being a lead generation strategy, like Honcker before it, is going to be a viable business model. Obviously, those factors will turn customers off.

I’m just saying I don’t think dealers are going to ever work with Rodo if the terms of service require them to honor every deal.

This makes sense on a basic level but I don’t think it’s how dealers operate. Their whole business model is dependant on charging less sophisticated buyers more. Even assuming we had the same level of knowledge, if my wife walked in to lease a car, most salesman would immediately sense she is going to be a terrible/conflict adverse car buyer and give her a starting lease quote way higher than they would give me. There isn’t a standard walk in quote. They judge how serious/sophisticated you are before giving you any lease numbers.

I agree with you on all points :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve yet to see a good deal in Miami. Also, the filtering leaves ALOT to be desired. App still needs development.

Think it might just turn into another iteration of true-car, will probably just follow their model.

I just got an offer for a Telluride SX on Rodo that seems pretty great based on what I’ve seen in the market. I wanted some thoughts before I pull the trigger. $538 more for 39 months with $538 drive off. What do you think?
!
Screenshot_20200211-073832_Rodo|236x500

That looks like the SX without the Prestige package (which adds the goodies like HUD, heated and cooled 2nd row, nappa leather, etc).

That, plus its a 39 month term. Highly doubt the 39 month term is better than the 36 month term (check Edmunds?) Doesn’t look as good as it initially sounds IMO

Everything @MrSo0h0o said plus I have doubts this is real offer. Probably changes when you get to dealership. Try running it though the calculator and seeing what discount you need to get to 538 a month with only 538 due at signing.

Decent offer from Rodo

What’s your point? Did you actually secure this deal?

You have to maintain possession of a 2019 Nissan Rogue for three years, so the joke is really on the lessee here.

8 Likes

No i did not take it.

But $300 a month with first month due at signing for a 33k MSRP Nissan Rogue sport SL is a decent offer from Rodo.

And that’s it.

1 Like

Is it? Can’t say I have ever looked at what those go for.