Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

Hopwfully just wire capable of 60 amp. A 14-50 on a 60 amp breaker is against code.

Yes!! And Good point. I should’ve been more clear

1 Like

I’ve been looking into the JCP&L rebate too. Thank you for all the info. Where did you buy your JuiceBox 40?

why did you choose JuiceBox 40 vs other brands ? price driven or feature set?
I am doing research on the EV charger now, and the recent amazon reviews on the juicebox have me wary to purchase it. I am leaning towards the Grizzl-E (non smart) L2 charger.

Amazon! And there was a coupon for another -$60.00 off the sales price this morning

I picked the EV Charger based on the ones that qualified for the NJ incentives…

1 Like

Be sure to look at the Emporia unit.

2 Likes

Those are really really nice for 399 bucks✔️

1 Like

For those interested in a wall charger that qualifies for the NJ clean energy rebates (thank you, @Strz ), the JuiceBox 40 is on sale at Costco at $549 right now.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100574926.html?qid=c14c3ec9b96a11ed838101180a82b820&cjevent=c14c3ec9b96a11ed838101180a82b820

Shorter cable than Amazon’s, but $100 cheaper :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So you are paying more then a Wall connector costs and getting 8amp less performance. Sounds like a major compromise to me…

What are you referring to? Pay more vs. what? In order to qualify for both the NJ EV charger ($250) + installation rebates (up to $1500), only certain brands are included- one of which is JuiceBox…and what is interesting is that the Tesla charger does not qualify.

1 Like

You are welcome! The folks that put into this forum have been super-helpful for me, thus trying to contribute and “give back” where I can.

1 Like

As @Strz said, in NJ the JuiceBox is cheaper than a Tesla wall charger, after rebates. Plus, it can be used with any EV.

1 Like

Adding yes on both of those points AND you will not qualify for the EV installation rebate unless you purchase one of the EV chargers that is on the list created by the State of NJ. Why all EV chargers don’t qualify for the EV installation rebate, well you got me! And yes, I agree that a non-Tesla EV charger is the way to go, as it can be used for any EV brand.

1 Like

Bunch of bad advice being handed out here.

A used wall connector is $250, your Juicebox is double that and charges slower. Many of us have installed it ourselves.

The reason the wall connector does not qualify for the rebate is because Tesla protects your privacy and does not allow 3rd parties to access the charging API.

With the Juicebox, you will need to provide remote access to the utility, and they will monitor your charging patterns. They will use this data to screw with your rates eventually.

The wall connector will charge any EV with the proper adapter. I use my wall connector to charge my Tesla and my Ford. You will need an adapter anyway to use the Juicebox with a Tesla. Also, J1772 is a dying standard.

The wall connector is hard wired and can be networked with other wall connectors if you want to share a power feed. There is just no way the Juicebox is superior, you are just being cheap. (And it’s arguably not even cheaper)

3 Likes

And Alexa is capturing all my conversions to screw me over, plus my NJ toll EZ Pass is being used by the government to track me. :slight_smile:

All fair points on why not to go this route! I went this direction to have my installation rebated by the State of NJ…so yes- call me cheap. And I was not comfortable to install it myself.

My sense is in 3 years, all current EV chargers will be out of date anyway (like how mobile phones evolve), and for all I know, I’ll be a “one and done” when it comes to EV vehicles, so what type of charger I have may not matter.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for used Tesla wall chargers everywhere, and the cheapest I could find was $350. I’ve seen a few (sketchy?) Craigslist ads, but even there, at least in my area, the average is $300 for a gen3. Could you share a reliable site where I could get one for 250? Yes, I admit that I’m being “cheap” by looking at the least expensive option ($550 at Costco - $250 rebate = $300 for a brand-new unit with Costco warranty), but isn’t this why we’re all here on LH after all? Plus, Enel X is an Italian company, and given that I’m Italian-American, I’m proud to support them with my business :wink:

1 Like

If you don’t care about getting 11.5 kW charging rate and 7.7 kW is enough……this will work wonderfully and is $230.

Costco runs a promotion for $550 twice a year. Just be aware that version has a five foot shorter cord

2 Likes

These are valid points. Your data is valuable, and it will be used against you ultimately, that’s part of the reason why the utility is giving you something back. That being said, the other part, the money for these rebates is coming from the government in one way or another. (taxpayers)

I haven’t seen the terms of service but what if I get the Juicebox installed and I have issues with it?

I can’t just get the Emporia to replace it and sell the Juicebox for “scrap value”? Do I forever have to have one of their approved chargers? I don’t think so.