Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new L2 charger still unopened in the shipped box, can’t remember the brand whatever CVAP in CA was sending as incentive and think was $5-600 can sell it for $350 plus shipping from SoCal

Also have a Tesla L1 never used mobile charger $150 plus shipping :+1: :ok_hand:

32 amps is enough for me over night. 26-28mile charge per hours. Is plenty to top off the car in the 8-10 hour cycle.

I opted for a 14-50 plug instead of the hardwire for 60 amps for ease of changing units. Just size up the wire accordingly to future proof…

Anything more than 60amps on a 200amp typical home service would need an upgrade to 400amp service.

If the goal is to save money on the EVSE, get a lower power unit…many cars cant actually accept that much power… Jeep 4e maxes at 32amp? Our volvo plug in is even worse at 16amp?
Pure evs can use more power, but even a Bolt maxes out at 32amp

Why?

Not being snarky…

When you can get something like the emporia unit for $399, short ofcthe JADaniells unit, anything cheaper is most likely untested, generic crap from China that often has major safety issues (undersized wires, missing safety circuitry, etc).

technically it wont if you mange your AC unit and power consumption.

REALLY rough math
200amp home, is like 160amp continuous draw. 50amps while charging a car, HVAC/Laundry/Pool pump/ Electric stove/ whatever else, can over load the 160 amps.

If you time it and dont run HVAC/hight power usage items all at the same time, no issue.

I thought same and have avoided those ebay/amazon units for that reason.

I apologize if I seem like I am baiting (thats not my intent), but there is no reason a 200A panel (protected by a 200A device of some sort) cant have a 100A (or more) individual breaker in it that I am aware of.

The coincidental use idea does need to be considered to some degree, but even a fully electric house with electric heat (likely to be the largest individual load in a residence) is going to have a hard time getting anywhere close to the 200A main max.

Lectron NEMA 14-50 Level 2 EV Charger - 240V 40 Amp with 15 ft Extension Cord & J1772 Cable - For J1772 EVs 299. but its a dumb unit, no wifi, not programable. Im not sure if its UL certified.

I dont mind spending more for nice stuff, but for now with my set up. I just use what came with the car. Tesla/Volvo. my tesla is set to 32amp as thats the max the unit can do with a plug. The other 8amps I run the volvo plug in. (not recommended as this is not a proper way to have 2 plugs on the same breaker)

For sure, if you do the calculation then it works.
Some homes are big, with 2 central HVACs, Pool, etc. 200 which is really 160 gets eaten up quick. Shop tools/etc.

Small homes without much stuff wont run into an issue. But what car can accept that Many AMPs?

You can run a 100 amp breaker to the garage to run 2 40 amp circuits… vs 1 80amp circut. What are you feeding that much power to?

Hopefully alot more of them going forward! But I guess well see…

The lectron units have lots of overheating issues due to small wire size.

Theyre probably on the better end of the generic chinese crap spectrum, but theyre still solidly on it.

My last house had all those things (including a 90A circuit for just the electric heat to supplement the heat pump) on a 200 A service. It would have been fun to try and turn absolutely EVERYTHING on at once and see how much actual load was present :slight_smile:

EDIT - I just checked by 2022 data, and extrapolated based on kWh, it looks like my average load is ~10A. Peak load is obviously much higher.

F150 Lightning

Thats bad donkey…19.2 kW :+1:

worth the work then if thats in the cards!

Theres also the 80 amp grizzle duo which does simulataneous charging of two vehicles on the same circuit. I think chargepoint may have a similar evse

I have a friend who will can sell Grizzl-e chargers at near wholesale. Send me a DM for their info.

Under JCP&L there are a bunch of Juicebox eligible chargers.

Do you or anyone else have a recommendation as to which one to go with for a Model 3? I also have a Wrangler 4xe and would need the charger to be compatible with that as well. I’m looking for good bang for the buck rather than apps/features.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

I got the 14-50 plug in 40 amp juice box and it works great with the 4xe. I ran a 60 amp line just to future proof.

1 Like

Yep, decided on the same after 20 min of research.

Thanks for the feedback.