Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

It can definitely get expensive if you have to do it. I’m fortunate that my main subpanel is in my garage, is a 200 amp service, and has two open spaces. I need all of like 18" of wire to run (although I’ve considered installing the evse on the same wall the garage doors are on instead of the back wall of the garage to ease charging in the driveway.

1 Like

No, you are not. You just built your house like a year ago lol

Well, fortunate from the stand point that i dont have to spend more money on it. They could have easily put the box elsewhere, filled up the panel, etc

1 Like

You knew what you were doing, I’m sure.

Doing it all over again or on a new build I’d probably go with a dual 200A service for flexibility.

I actually didnt change anything as far as that went relative to setting up for an evse.

1 Like

why would you need separate 200A panels?

With stuff like the f150 lightning pro charger requiring a 100 amp service, adding a 200 amp dedicated panel foe the garage gives some headroom to charge the vehicle and do something else in the garage at the same time.

1 Like

that’s sensible. plus future proofing charging in the future i suppose.

I’d like to request a solution checkbox for this response.

well its pretty much overkill for the overwhelming majority of people.

To each their own but it piles on fast once you start adding recreational appliances or features.

no argument on that i’m just saying its not really a “solution” for most people just needing a charger.

Would it be better to hardwire the charger or just get a 220v and plug in. My electrician says better to just plug in, “Hardwired stay forever plug 220v you can move for service clean”

I use a plug in…it’s been pretty useful when my unit has a fault to just reset at the plug instead of walking out to the panel. It was also to reuse the dryer plug instead of a hardwire.

Its really not very hard to disconnect a hardwired evse if you need to for service.

Itll also be cheaper if you hardwire, you can get higher amperage, and you dont have to deal with troubleshooting fighting gfci devices.

Here’s my charge-wall

Tesla Level 1 connector @ 12amps/120v on house GFCI.
Tesla Level 2 connector @ 48amps/240v on dedicated 60amp breaker.
UMC Teslatap 50 J1772 extension adapter, can be used with either connector.

i was reading a slick deals thread about costco selling a juicebox charger and someone posted that the rebate was due to kick back in on 1/1/23. i remembered we had talked about this in the past in this thread so i just wanted to point it out in case there’s still confusion.

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit

Beginning January 1, 2023, fueling equipment for natural gas, propane, hydrogen, electricity, E85, or diesel fuel blends containing a minimum of 20% biodiesel, is eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost or 6% in the case of property subject to depreciation, not to exceed $100,000. Permitting and inspection fees are not included in covered expenses. Consumers who purchase qualified residential fueling equipment between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2032, may receive a tax credit of up to $1,000.

Eligible fueling equipment must be installed in locations that meet the following census tract requirements:

• A population census tract where the poverty rate is at least 20%; or
  • Metropolitan and non-metropolitan area census tract where the median family income is less than 80% of the state medium family income level.

Eligible projects must also meet apprenticeships and prevailing wage requirements.

(Reference 26 U.S. Code 30D and Public Law 117-169)

Point of Contact
U.S. Internal Revenue Service
Phone: (800) 829-1040

Yes 20% on anything that is ‘green related’.

It was $1200 I guess changed to $1000 now?

So Solar or EV Chargers under 30D are covered.

yes i was pointing it out more for the ‘starts 1/1’ rather than the amount, but that’s important as well.