Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

Normal outlets are rated up to 20amps… This sucker can do 40.
Note the extra wire, uses both sides of your power panel rails.

If in California, here you go. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

https://www.harborfreight.com/generators-engines/generators/9500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-57080.html

1 Like

I’m scared to buy a generator at HF, I would never be able to test it and when I need it, it has a 75% chance of being junk.

It is available now.

Got the Grizzl-e about 18 months ago and actually received one of the first Wifi enabled units with what they think was old firmware. Unit was acting up, maybe one out of 10 charges it would error and i’d have to flip the breaker to reset it. Opened a ticket with Grizzl-e and they sent a replacement. Super easy to deal with.

1 Like

nice. i thought it was bundled with the home electrification improvement rebates slated for 23.

Didnt this expire at the end of 21? Or did the IRA sneak it back in?

As to which evse… unless your utility company gives incentives on specific ones, emporia seems to offer the best package on the market right now.

Ira snuck it back in, $1200 limit per year

$1200 limit? is that combined with some other kind of electrification benefit or are they allowing you to deduct a portion of the labor costs now?

Here’s the link where I read that Section 30C is back on

Not a clue, it also implies it’s a 30% limit if done properly…aka Spend $4000 to get $1200

yeah but its physically impossible to buy a $4000 charger so that’s what got me thinking it also included install.

It did install costs, wiring, etc previously so that probably hasnt changed. It wasnt just the evse itself.

you’re right. for some reason i thought it was only on the charger itself before. still, $4k is a gigantic number.

Depends. If you need to add a 200 amp service panel and then run a feed across the house to your garage, youll wat that all up

when i checked in on this after the bill was passed i was told the feed and service install costs are being considered separate from the charger install and will be under the individual state interpretation being considered for the 2023 year.

Not impossible, but kind of a waste when a $400 charger effectively gives you the same function.

Clipper creek does make some multi output units that look useful.

They also have a 80A continuous that would be nice if it could split on the fly as well…

Not really. The people racking up $4000 bills for home use aren’t spending it on the evse. It’s the running of the wires/subpanel, and that’s needed regardless of if the evse is a $400 unit or a $1000 unit.

Only if you need an exceptionally long run of cable or end up having to replace panel due to insufficient space or it’s a POS FPE panel.

Or you get suckered into paying the Tesla Tax.

Which are both very common issues. Lots of older houses only have 100 amp service and panels that aren’t within 25 feet of where they want to park.

Fair point. We debated running a separate service to the garage since it’s detached anyway but it was close enough to the main that we had a 4awg run and split into the garage along with a panel upgrade and subpanel in the garage itself.

Thank goodness we didn’t have that awful aluminum wiring with pigtails that seems to be common in 60’s construction at least in this area.