Hertz files for bankruptcy

F that. Not when there’s a 9-month lease transfer for $3,000 one-pay on a 7-series.

And 4GCs have been lease hacked many times.

3 Likes

Party has been over on 4’s for a while.

The party’s just getting started on transfers.

How many people are going to have a “Eureka!” moment and realize they have an Nth car for no reason?

4 Likes

Yes there is that

Just wait til the MY20 blowout when the MY21s hit the decks!

I’m expecting a wave of this by late summer / fall. At a certain point people will take heavier losses to at least get the payment + insurance off their plate.

Not enough stock. BMW kept 4 production tight this year. Won’t be a giveaway like it was last year.

Absolutely, we have more cars than drivers and work from home for the foreseeable future (or as long as the job last). It doesn’t make sense to keep extra cars with payments, insurance and tires.

This is so true. We’ve only had a couple 4 Series at any given time and our new car inventory is usually over 300 (creeping down now with incoming units slowing quickly).

Funny how this whole Hertz thing will potentially effect the used car values negatively but the source of the problem (shut downs due to COVID) will have the exact opposite effect on new cars. Think about it…factories were closed for quite some time and even now that manufacturers are slowly ramping up, many suppliers are still closed or don’t have the means to produce all of the parts and components they need on the assembly line.

We will see a serious lack of inventory late into Q3 if not before that. It’ll be the first time in LH history that an Invoice deal will be Trophy Garage worthy. :joy:

3 Likes

With new vehicles it will be feast or famine. It is sounding like the majority of popular cars will be in short supply this summer. There are stories of certain things piling up at the ports and you might find deals on those. But the supply chain implications of all of this aren’t done yet and we will probably hear stories this summer about parts shortages slowing production of some makes.

The really killer deals will be private party used cars when people are tempted in to buy a new car and discovery how lousy the trade in values are. Or one of the glut of leased cars coming back into dealers. Not what folks around here are craving.

For the first time in LH maybe Nissan will emerge as the “value” in a sea of “poor deals” Ha.

1 Like

Actually the trade in values and sell rate of new cars are correlated. When people discover they are way upside down, they will opt to keep driving old. Also savvier shoppers will discover that a low mileage 2 year old version of the new car can be had for 50% of the original msrp and they will gravitate to those. Add to that shortage of new cars due to factory shutdowns and it means the value of used car will slowly but surely improve. Same thing happened in 2008. Car values tanked in general but Used car values started rising quickly from their lows.

And people are driving. I was an NJ turnpike on Friday and it was fluid but busy. As economy reopens and goes back to work, we will be driving as usual including going to beaches. In fact, driving will win over flying where possible and other modes of mass transportation for the next 6 months.

2 Likes

No doubt, %private drives/plane trips is gonna go up this summer

This is america, we roll the negative equity in for a New car

2 Likes

Spoken like a true Dodge Journey buyer :us:

1 Like

You seem too wise for a 17 years old. Are you sure you are not much older?

2 Likes

I don’t know, my inability to acquire a Costco membership, sign a lease by myself, buy spray paint, tobacco, and alcohol all suggest so.

4 Likes

I’m confused about the reporting on this. Most of the stories seem to suggest that Hertz leases their cars - just like us!

So how can they dump a bunch of cars onto the used car market if they don’t own them? the liability is with the finance companies who own them surely?

They have been buying to rent, and then selling cars for a long time. It’s been part of their business model for nearly a decade.

Take this youtube ad from 9 years ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtpWlb_XcDc.

1 Like

This is going to put real pressure on the resale prices of unpopular crappy sedans (eg, Fusion Hybrid, low-spec Optima’s, Impala’s, big caddy’s etc.)

1 Like