Here's why you should take your car to Carmax

Last year(2016) I went to carmax, they offered 13.5k for my car. I sold my car to local dealer 15.5k.

About two weeks ago I took a 2013 Toyota Prius Three to carmax, they appraised it at $11k, my local Toyota dealer beat them by $2,200 for an offer of $13,200.

I just read about Carvana and appraised my Forester out of curiosity. Came out about $1K less then max at KBB which they compare it to. But they say they can come and pick it up next day. Anybody tried to sell to them?
Edit: I checked directly on KBB with the same parameters and Carvana was min of KBB range, about $1K off the middle and about $2K lower than max.

They gave $20k for my brother’s 2013 F150 that he paid $22k for 3.5 years ago… not bad. I told him to take their check and run before they change their minds

Yah I’ve seen a couple other people say that they got good offers for trucks.

here is another one:
In March, I leased a Chevy Cruze LT - MSRP 24095. I did the one-pay lease for two years (20k miles). The residual value on my contract is $16,100.
I took my car to CarMax yesterday to consider trading the car in 21 months early with under 8k on the odometer.
The inspector told me the car was near perfect and he only docked me $20 for minor curb rash on one wheel.
Guess what they offered me?

$12,500

At least it wasn’t a Nissan Leaf - would have to pay a lot to get anyone to purchase it :slight_smile:

I’ve never had a remotely decent offer from Carmax. I’m constantly reading (here but usually other places) how people vouch for Carmax and how they’re the best way to sell them a car, or to exit a lease.

I’ve had TERRIBLE experiences. I’ve gone with either private party, or in one case, decided to keep my car.

Car #1 Honda Accord SE; lease was expiring, residual was +/- 16k, private parties were right about that price range, carmax came in at 11k!

Car #2 CX-5 GT ; lease was expiring, residual was 16.6, private parties were going back and forth trying to win the car, max offer (sold) at 18,xxx, Carmax was at 13k!

Car #3 Audi A4 ; car was paid off, wanting to gauge interest, private parties were at the very least 9k, Carmax offered with no shame 4k.

EDIT : I’m referring to those 3rd party companies that buy and re-sell to dealers or individuals. So true private party, market value would be higher, which makes Carmax offer so much worse.

1 Like

what do you mean 3rd party companies? explain how to find them?

This thread still around?

I guess Carmax is still around …

Most recently (09/2016) a company called Beepi, which is no longer in business, and another local company that was referred by a co-worker.
These companies usually advertise themselves as “cash for your used car”

The offer I got from Carmax was $14k even. I have time so any advice would be of interest. I could even do a lease swap I guess or sell private party. Just interested in avoiding the $400 to return the car.

That’s a generous offer - about $800 more than KBB’s highest price for excellent condition :slight_smile:

I brought in a 2015 Lexus RX350 with 13k miles. While my appraisal was being done, I perused the lot. Much to my surprise, they had a 2015 Lexus RX350, in the same color and trim, with 23k miles on the lot with a sticker price of $24,995.

Their offer on mine? $18,000.

A $7,000 profit on a car with 10k less miles.

They are a joke.

1 Like

From my past experiences, Carmax usually offer 20-30% lower than what you can get by selling to private party. Im in socal.

They’ve been all over the place in my area. Mist recently offered me 26k on my wife’s 2015 Odysseys exp with 17k miles. They had about 5 other similar vintage Odysseys on their lot. I ended up trading it in for 26.5k to the dealer we bought our new SUV from. Which was based upon a KBB offer of 27,250 minus the tax savings so it netted out the same.

I took my LX 470 in once and they offered me 4.5k for it. I had bought it 6 months prior for the same price.

Thinking of selling my 2015 Tahoe to Carmax. I have already gotten the vehicle appraised and have read that they will be issuing a bank draft to me for the equity and paying the buyout amount to GM Financial. Has anyone experienced any problems with Carmax not paying off the vehicle in a timely manner or any other difficulties selling their leased vehicle to Carmax?