Here's why you should take your car to Carmax

They paid my Volvo lease 10 days after I sold my S90 to them. No issues at all.

Seeing your post I thought I would see how much carmax would give for my s90. 2018 s90 t6, $61k msrp leased on 11/2/17. 2250 miles, showroom condition, their offer ā€¦ $39,000.

They probably learned their lesson.

1 Like

I would try the autotrader kbb instant cash offer as a plan B. I did last night and the amount was $2000 more than my Carmax quote. They give you a list of dealers willing to buy your vehicle in your area.

Their offers are all over the place, dependent upon how badly they want the vehicle. A ā€œstrippedā€ model would have a better % value than an ā€œequippedā€ one. I know someone else just took his 2018 T6 INSC to Carmax and they offered $45k. My offers from the ~10 different dealers I engaged varied from 35k to the Carmax offer.

Mine is now up for sale on the Carmax website:
https://www.carmax.com/car/15478831

1 Like

Might have to wait a few months before that model becomes eligible for the KBB offer. There is data for 2017, but it wonā€™t let you plug in the 2018 model yet.

How much did they pay for it?

Worth trying, but dealers will still lowball you, especially if you donā€™t buy a car from them. Their price is not really ā€œguaranteedā€.

Couple of tips from an ex Carmax employee:

1. Go early in the morning around opening time. They are more liberal with offers in the morning because there is a cap they can pay out per store, per day.
  2. Let them know that you want to buy a car on the lot, and tell them to tell the buyers team. Iā€™ve had the buyerā€™s team offer $1,000 more just by talking to them , before we presented to the customer to make a deal.
  3. Iā€™ve done at least 300 appraisals, and the KBB calculator has never been better than an offer I presented. I recommend if the calculator is not even close to what you want donā€™t bother wasting your time there.
3 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate this information for the future. I did end up using the KBB instant offer this time for the Tahoe. Carmax offered 40000 for my 2015 LTZ with 26k miles. The kbb offer was for 42987, my buyout was only $37,832. The dealer I was referred to didnā€™t try to low ball me or change the amount. I think I was very lucky this time around because Iā€™ve been shopping around for a week now since getting the Carmax offer, trying to sell the SUV and every other dealer has insulted me with their offers.

$5,000 come up on a car that Iā€™m sure did more than enough. Nice work.

1 Like

Success today with KBB instant cash offer! Dealer offered almost full KBB cash price and we sold our leased Toyota Tacoma Limited, about 8 months before end of a 36 month lease. Carmax offered 28k last month, and the KBB final selling price was $29,600 at the participating dealer today. We are getting back $1200 after payoff.

Combining the above deal with a great <1% lease on our 2018 VW Tiguan SE (true $0 drive-off, $299/mo 36/10), the new effective rate is $257/mo. Thanks Leasehackr community for sharing info!

1 Like