Help with BMW M3 lease numbers

Wait I just realized, recent grad discount???

Oh lord, do not buy an M for a first car, I am dumb - and it was very dumb, and people should not do as I do :sob::rofl:

Donā€™t ask what my insurance is - my Erie agent is a godsend.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall even knowing what insurance was when I was 22ā€¦sure we had USAA, but I was just trying to keep the 79 Old Cutlass running.

2 Likes

He might be finishing his 5th degree to become a heart surgeon and make 7 digits :slight_smile:

9 Likes

itll be on swap a lease later asking 14k down

1 Like

Well, at barely 22 I was on my own in SoCal paying my own rent, car, insurance and had about $20 a month left overā€¦haha

2 Likes

Beat you by a few years (left home at 16, but went to college/work at 17) in NorCal, where I learned the fine art of dumpster diving in collegeā€¦the pizza boxes had ā€˜sliceā€™ picture coupons, collect 10 for a free pizza. Took about an hour of diving for a pizza.

5 Likes

Haha funny new grad commentsā€¦ Iā€™m getting a doctorate in healthcare which counts. You gotta cash in on these opportunities whenever you can! I also get ā€œstudentā€ pricing on my ski pass and movie tickets. No shame! :slight_smile:

I do happen to have an MBA as well, so Iā€™ll try not to take offense to the finance ribbing :joy: . I hear what youā€™re saying about buy vs lease and as Iā€™m sure you know, not every financing decision is a straight black and white math problem. There are other personal factors that tie into these decisions, and right now Iā€™m happy to put down a large down payment to get a more comfortable monthly payment. I need to learn more about the MSDs though since those may be helpful for me.

Yes, my daughter is in college (undergrad) and I just leased her a Mazda CX-5 with some helpful advice from this forum. She worked to buy her first car and we sold that VW Tiguan for a profit and rolled it into a lease down payment. That was another interesting discussion about buy used vs lease for a college kid and Iā€™m sure now that I made the right call by leasing. Itā€™s building up her credit in her name since she is doing $50/month payments and sheā€™ll have the option to buy it out at $18,500 one year after she graduates and has a grown up job so itā€™s a good situation.

But I digressā€¦ someone nailed who this particular dealership is down in Florida and itā€™s pretty clear at this point that they were trying to cash in. M3s are taking a long time to build, and used ones are going for the MSRP of new ones! They had a new and desirable M3 in stock so they are trying to squeeze every dollar out of it in hopes that someone isnā€™t willing to wait for a build.

Iā€™m getting some local Colorado quotes for a custom build that is nicer than the car on the lot in Florida. So far this is the only quote Iā€™ve received which still seems about $100 too high on the monthly payment.

5 Likes

The example I gave on the first car was an actual lot car in Florida with 2022 pricing. They had jacked it up.

When Iā€™m getting estimates on a build, they are using 2022 pricing but it would definitely arrive as a 2023 so I have to plan that the price will go upā€¦ Perhaps $3,000 to be safe? Iā€™m not sure if anyone else has insight into what to expect on the price increase for 2023.

Ah, simpler timesā€¦.

Dominos had a similar thing a couple years back where you could game free pizzas by taking pictures of pizzas.

1 Like

Ah good olā€™ downtown BMW.

Yep, had to carry around a box knife to get those ā€˜couponā€™ slicesā€¦shudder to think what would happen today in a dorm, carrying around a box knife.

1 Like

Iā€™m genuinely curious as to what benefits this lease would give you over just buying it. Putting $15-$20k down is just insanity. At the very least just put that money in a savings account and draw from it every month when you make your payment.

2 Likes

@IAC You nailed itā€¦ so I asked some brokers about helping and was told that they canā€™t really help on a new M3 build and if I can get MSRP then go for it. Do you have any advice or ability to help on this one?

Keep checking cars.com and Autotrader daily. Call the dealers with ads with real car photos on the lot. There is a small chance but you might be able to get a non-customer ordered car like that. At least you are looking for a RWD, an AWD is close to impossible to find.

1 Like

Only real benefit of a lease these days is removing risk of value tank after accident, etc. A high price to pay for that tho with crazy MFs and low residuals.

No disrespect and I kind of get it, but I cringe whenever I hear people say this. I get that the money factor is quite rich, but all the more reason to finance, frankly.

3 Likes

Yeah straight list is the ticket now but even getting the allocation is a deal atm.

You will have to search whole country to get MSRP and then the wait for allocation/build will most likely be at least a year to get car in driveway.

I think your assumption here is that over the next 36 months that the $15,000 would make money in the market, which I would give 50/50 odds, but who knows. I could put it in a money market and get about 1% on it, and over the life of the lease I could earn maybe $175 on the investment. You are correct, it makes more sense to have a higher monthly payment but that isnā€™t my preference unless the dollars are more consequential.

I think the buy vs lease is a bigger question for me.