Help with BMW M3 lease numbers

Hey fellow hackers, I need some support as I go after my dream car - a custom ordered BMW M3 Base with a manual transmission. I really need some help understanding what pricing is fair these days for a new M3.

I want to setup the Leasehackr calculator correctly so I can adjust the down payment to get my target monthly payment.

So here is what threw me for a loop today. I found a match for what I wanted today in Palm Beach, FL. The MSRP is $76,545 and residual of 59%. He quoted a monthly payment of $1,200 after putting $15,000 down payment. If I put down 20,000 my payment would still be a whopping $1,043.73. WOW! That’s not right is it?

I put together a Leasehackr calculator for this car and I show that the payment should be much lower than the sales guy quoted. Would you all be willing to check my logic and math?

Here’s the Leasehackr calculator I made for this car:

And here is my M3 build that I plan to order if I can get it within my budget: https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/studio/es2b9mds/summary

For reference, my taxes are 7.885%. I qualify for $500 in BMW loyalty incentive and $1,000 for new grad.

Thanks for your help!

Are they marking this up?

Any add-ons?

Are they charging buy rate on the MF?

Do you have a written quote with everything broken down?

1 Like

Here is a revised calculator that takes in the premium Leasehackr data on current M3 residual and MF.

Trism, I will be asking them that tomorrow when they open, but I received another similar quote months ago and I was starting to think my calculations were way off.

Here is the build of the car and the pricing I was provided. I will ask for more detailed pricing tomorrow when they are back in the office. I believe they have add ons like a clear coat that they add for $899 and other fees around $999. Even with these I can’t see how they arrived at their price without a markup of about 15% ($11,790).

Since you don’t have all of the inputs that went into the dealer quote, model a deal at MSRP, base MF, no add-ons (I mean no stupid alarms, nitrogen in the tires, etc.; obviously you’ll have to pay taxes, TTL and the prevailing doc fee, so do include those).

And no down payment (you can fiddle with this and the desired payment later – those aren’t critical to understanding the deal you are getting). DP and pmt amount are distractions at this point.

I don’t know if MSRP is reasonable in your market. You can adjust for that after you understand the rest of the moving parts here. Don’t talk to another dealer until you can run the what-ifs in the calculator yourself.

3 Likes

Is this a custom order or a lot car? Orders will be 2023s at this point and the price has increased.

Well you got at least 5-800 in ltedelivery charges, dealer fees, then close to a grand and change in bs nitro and permaplate.

1 Like

I can’t get to $13xx a month with $10,000 DAS even with adding the sewage/peace of mind (added those to MSRP to arrive at the selling price) and marking up the MF to the max.

(Edit: error in the one I posted earlier – I inadvertently added $15k to MSRP. This is MSRP + sewage + $10k + max MF markup… I think. :stuck_out_tongue: ). I didn’t validate RV.

Perhaps another set of eyes will see something I missed / misinterpreted. I don’t do this every day. :slight_smile:

I had to make some assumptions about how your taxes are collected, the dealer fee and TTL.

2 Likes

My eyeball is slightly under 10k over Msrp, plus add ons, and maximum mf markup.

3 Likes

It absolutely is. That $156.27 delta is $5,625.72. In fact, you can probably triangulate to the approximate money factor using those two data points.

Edit: looks like I’m getting 0.00339

Even with dog shit credit, you can’t get there.

4 Likes

Yea it definitely doesn’t make sense. Seems like a but of shell game here. Like they’re sneaking something else in.

I’m guessing this is Braman. You won’t get a normal deal there don’t waste your time.

8 Likes

Have you considered financing the BMW instead of leasing it?

The whole point of leasing is to put as little cash in the deal as possible…

If you’re making a $15,000 down payment it makes more sense to finance…

….

2 Likes

New grad and dropping $76k on a car with a $15k down lease? Hope your major wasn’t finance.

12 Likes

I would finance. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or get Dad to pay the full 76 plus 10 ADM instead of just 15 down…LOL :laughing:

2 Likes

IIRC, Mike is dad, and daughter is graduating? So now is M3 for…? lol

1 Like

As long as it’s green and got dead presidents on it, s’all good man.

1 Like

Ha! If truly for a new grad I hope they look at insurance too…my insurance payment at 22 yo out of college on IROC back in the day almost was more than payment!

PS, it was in Cali tho…good old Mercury high risk insurance!

1 Like