Help me select a weekend vehicle within $350/m

I’m in NYC and use public transit to work but I want to buy a vehicle to use on weekends. I usually rent but prices this summer are insane and i no longer want to bother with the hassle of renting.

My main use will be running errands and heading out of the city to explore, hike (upstate or rest of the tristate), ski (vermont or upstate) or head out to the beaches in NJ or long island.

My budget is $350 / month max and mainly looking at compact SUVs like the Mazda CX 5, KIA Seltos, Volkswagen Taos, etc but I’m open to sedans too.

Reliability and keeping cost down is important which is why i rather lease brand new while within warranty.

I’m also open to financing CPO as a second alternative but the monthly payments are always higher than renting.
I’m also open to financing a reliable used non CPO as a last resort.

I’m checking the market place section and pre-selected deals but thought I’ll get some additional insights from other users.

Tacoma… I don’t think there’s any suvs in that budget. Taco 4x4 is under 400. 4x2 around 350

text me if interested in a truck.

Jim
215-359-6836

Hi thanks,
But not looking for a truck. Would probably hardly use the bed plus I’ll be parking on the street and the extra length will make it harder than it already is

1 Like

I’d probably finance something like a RAV4 and keep as long as possible if you aren’t wanting a new car after 3 years. will be tough to fall within 350 on a lease unless you put some money down

Beware of leasing and city street parking and all the front and rear bumper damage you will need to fix at lease end. Get a reliable beater.

4 Likes

thanks. overlooked that. I noticed a few of my neighbors have bumper guards I guess some of it is for this very same reason

+1000. Your lease car is gonna get fricked up on the streets. Also insurance is going to eat into your monthly budget. Based on your use you probably will have fairly low mileage. Assuming you can be all in at $500/month - is that still cheaper than Uber + carsharing?

I’ve lived with a car in the city and street parked for over 10 years, both in Brooklyn, and Manhattan and never had an issue. Your results may vary but most of my friends and I have leased and parked on the street and not complained. Just be smart and get a bumper badger/bully.

The reality is shit happens wether you’re street parking or not so get whatever car brings you joy.

2 Likes

My budget is $600/m, insurance takes up half of that. Uber + Ridesharing is almost non existence many places 200+ miles outside the city. Overall i just want the convenience of getting up and go whenever i want without much hassle.

Get a beater and drop the full coverage. No need to get a new car and let it collect dust, grime and scratches in NYC for your use case. Insurance and depreciation savings will likely be well over the cost of repairs if you are willing to take a little risk.

4 Likes

Good point. Thanks

Look at my latest topic, I just lease a Nissan Ariya yesterday. It is so inexpensive to own it.

+1. And beaters don’t even have to look like beaters. Look at some of the ads posted here; cars with nice paint and overall looks

@hjqdsg123 doubt a BEV would work for the OP’s use case

yea BEV won’t work for me. Won’t be able to charge it overnight on the street and don’t want to waste time charging before i head out somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.