What would you buy for $10k?

beCaUs3 mAH wIfe cAn’T DRive st!cK

5 Likes

I always question when people are pushing the “ice cold AC”. This guy made sure to put it twice in his description.

1 Like

I recently sold a car on CL
I made sure I put it on all caps and I still had people asking if the ac worked :joy:

5 Likes

AC isn’t “ice cold” from the factory, so those are some serious mods people are doing.

#FBO
#non-OEM
#badgeengineering

1 Like

I currently own a 12 year old E90 (RWD and automatic, no I drive) and it has been relatively reliable, the parts are ubiquitous and repair videos plentiful. Had it for 2.5 years. Son drives it. Just passed 150k miles. Only problems are the front coolant hose blew up (common problem due to crazy plastic coolant hoses), the AC pulley imploded, causing serpentine belt to come off and AC to stop working and a replacement wiper motor. I was able to order a replacement compressor pulley on eBay for $50 and it fixed the AC (after running in AC delete mode for 4 months in the winter with a shorter serpentine belt).

Probably a total of $750 in parts over the 2.5 yrs I’ve owned it, which includes a new battery, all the fluids for multiple oil changes, coolant change, power steering fluid change, transmission fluid drain and fill x3 plus the repairs. It needs valve cover gaskets which I haven’t done yet, currently just cleaning the engine every month to prevent burnt oil smell.

6 Likes

Lol AC delete mode …

Impressive that you’re able to do all the repairs yourself. Super jealous over here!

4 Likes

BMW, especially the more common models, have a very deep forum/how to culture. Especially if the machine is older, someone has created a video or how-to on fixing just about everything, including using a shorter serpentine belt when the compressor blows up - even down to which belt part numbers to try from your local auto parts store. It’s then just a matter of finding time to do the work (and understanding that everything will take at least twice as long the first time you try it).

5 Likes

I’ve been searching high and low for a car for my 16 year old son who passed his driving test last week. I found an '07 Matrix FWD Automatic with just over 100K miles. The car spent it’s entire life in California until the guy moved to CT last year. He’s going to bring it to a mechanic near him for a PPI tomorrow. If all goes well, then I’ll go take it for a ride after work on Saturday. He’s asking $6,500.

5 Likes

1zzfe or 2zz?

If well maintained and not oil burning, dry timing chain tensioner or timing cover, i’d say winner winner chicken dinner.

1 Like

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/san-diego-2004-chrysler-crossfire/7651231876.html

6 Likes

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ctd/d/los-angeles-2007-saturn-ion-4-door-quad/7649433552.html

A friend bought the OG E46 - 323i w/ manual transmission (after driving my '02 330i manual) and literally drove it into the ground. Took him almost 20 years and 300K miles to accomplish that. Car looked like chit at the end (Illinois winters), but never left him stranded.

1 Like

I figured this was going to happen, but the '07 Matrix did sell for it’s full $6,500 asking price before I had a chance to have a PPI done.

1 Like

You can probably find a pontiac vibe for cheaper. Same car. Here’s one:

1 Like

Yes same Toyota engine. This one looks pretty clean and prob worth the asking. I got one for a family member that had ~106k mi for significantly less but had to put money into it l. I’ll do a write up about it at some point.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been searching for Pontiac Vibes as well. The matrix & vibe are mechanical twins. Doing some research, it seems like the 2007 MY is the best one of the 1st generation to go for.

Look at Scions, Corollas (skip the 8th gen 1998 thru 02?) and Avalons too.

Most people looking for Toyotas are looking for Camry, RAV4, Highlander, etc.

Can he drive stick? It eliminates the biggest failure point of most Nissans.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/paterson-2006-scion-xa/7648652478.html

Goes like hell.

For the same price, I’d take the shelby. These are all in my wheelhouse, I learned to drive a stick on a Chevy citation.

@max_g - that Outback in Newburyport is still for sale. I’ve messaged the seller 2x and haven’t heard back.

Not sure if I can post cars on marketplace, but here’s an ‘08 Outback 5MT with 153K miles that claims to have the big stuff down:

1 Like