Help me decide how I'm going to upgrade my garage

Bro… c’mon

I am as big a vhooloo fan as the next person, but as a stickler for the rules himself I can’t imagine he’s tickling the tusks of endangered elephants in his basement.

2 Likes

Were I you, I’d get numbers on both and drive both, no more than 60 days out, then ask myself if I like one more than other.

Porsches don’t lease well but it you are someone who fits profile for leasing, like

Then you are a good candidate to lease and just rent your fun. Coming out of an M4 comp you understand paying to play. Why buy the Porsche and have to stroke a check for $13k in negative next time?

Also since you’re switching brands, and it sounds like maybe newer to Porsche, I would strongly recommend using a broker who can get you a great deal, and (possibly) help you build a relationship at a nearby dealer.

I got those tusks on a hacker special. Too good to pass.

Would you say owning a 911 with the plan of swapping it out in a couple years is unwise? Should I just go for something that leases (relatively) well, maybe an F type v8 or some AMG

Also, yes this is my first Porsche, i’ll try to talk numbers with them and see if perhaps I could working something out somewhat reasonable through a broker. The 991 generation gt3 has been my dream car since I drove it, I think if I get one of those I’d like to own long(er) term than say a carrera

What’s more important to you, what you drive or what you’re willing to spend?

Neither choice is wrong, but once I realized that my decisions always ended up being the latter, it made car shopping a lot easier going forward.

1 Like

I feel test driving and seeing if the extra money spent is worth it is the right way to go… The gt3 is a car I’m willing to spend a lot on just because of how special that engine is; only thing stopping me right now is wanting to see how the market will respond to COVID + a 992 generation gt3. I guess till I feel the time is right to pull the trigger on that specific car, I should focus on what I’m willing to spend. The f type v8 is pretty crazy, and I’ve been seeing some nice deals on the 2020s as the 2021s are about to roll out

Consolidated all of this back into your original thread. If you’re still deciding what to do and looking for opinions on your next car you can keep it here.

3 Likes

I agree with you that if you’re buying a 911, making/saving money shouldn’t be in the discussion/decision. That being said, I disagree that the correct 911 depreciates in a more dramatic fashion then any other car in it’s comp set. Pre-COVID 996.2s (2002-2004) were actually appreciating, especially on the higher end trims and are still higher than their equivalent 2012-2015 prices. A CPO 2012 997.2 C2 with 20k miles in 2015 was +/- $55k, today that same care with 45k miles is $50k. I sold a 2012 911 C2 Black Edition in November 2019 for $50k with 49k miles on it, I purchased it for $52k with 22k miles on it 3 years earlier. If you pick the right car, it will hold its value. Regardless of what you do, my only recommendation is don’t buy the F-Type.

The 911 would be exclusively a luxury, what I was wondering was if I were to buy it, if it would be relatively hassle free to own (not having to think about putting miles on it, not having to worry about maintenance issues, etc…); as for the f type, the only way I’d get one of those was through a lease, there are too many used examples that I’ve seen sitting on dealer lots for months and months, and I guess it’s for a good reason.

I really want to and can pull the trigger on a gt3 right now, my primary concern is just how the market for these cars will be impacted by the COVID situation. Maybe by late July/early August when I’m ready to make the purchase things will be more clear

:laughing::clap:t2::rofl::clap:t2::joy::clap:t2:

Reliable and low maintenance are not synonyms.

You will not be in a thruple with your non-dealership, local, bavarian, shade tree, Porsche master mechanic, but you’ll all three will have each other on speed-dial.

She doesn’t keep looking that good without details, shoes, wear parts, and whatever engineering character (blemish) your chosen generation is afflicted with.

But looks good, sounds good and rides even better: she’s worth it. :man_shrugging:t2:

Fair enough, I’ve had my fair share of German luxury cars so I suppose I know what I’m getting myself into…

1 Like