Help leasing a 2019 Forester Sport in CA (signing tomorrow)

Guys I need some help. New to leasing. I want a 36/12. Ive settled my search and I want either a Premium or Sport Forester. I want a $325 monthly payment for the Sport or a $300 for he Premium. Those numbers are based off the 1% rule but im willing to go a little higher considering this is a brand new SUV. I personally think those are achievable, considering I saw someone on here get a $350 monthly payment for a Limited. Anyways, I’ve been calling around and emailing since there is only one Subaru dealer in my town, and the others are about an hour and a half away. One dealer I spoke to didn’t want to send me a quote just said to drive down and they would help me out, he was afraid I would shop around his quote. The other dealers I spoke to over the phone are taking forever to get me a lease quote. finally, The one dealer in town offered me a joke monthly payment of $405 with zero DAS for a PREMIUM, and a $430 monthly with $100 DAS for a Sport. The manager basically told me his foresters are not even staying in stock for him so why would he discount it. Makes sense since they’re the only dealer in town. So I left.

Not sure where to go from here. Is my goal realistic? Am I just bad at negotiating? Should I drive to the dealer that’s out of town and hope for the best? Or should I look in LA which I know is a more competitive market? Thanks for your time. Here’s a picture of the sport quote for reference. Which btw after checking the MF against Edmunds is marked up…

There has been an inventory shortage of the Forester which has been impacting deals - I’m not sure if that has passed.

However, folks in the NorCal area have been getting great deals from Serramonte Subaru on other models. May be worth reaching out to them.

1 Like

That’s not how leasing works. You don’t just make up numbers with a made up rule.

It’s obviously not a rule but a guideline that lets you know if it’s a good deal or not.

Did you check with @rubbergash?

2 Likes

Money factor marked up…bad discount.

Sport has a much higher MF than Limited…which is why the limited is leasing for less despite being a more expensive car.

As for that $350 number, it seems lower than anyone I know got the car (not by a lot, fwiw)…I take everything with a grain of salt on the internet. Just because someone says something doesn’t make it true!

Not all deals can be replicated…such is life.

1 Like

Yes I did he offered a better deal but he’s seven hours from me…

1 Like

But you said you would come down for a great deal…

2 Likes

TFW you find out your customer is cheating on you.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your responses. Here’s an update: I received a quote from a dealer two hours away for $372 with taxes included and zero down just need $900ish for drive off. 36/12. Subaru Forester Sport with package 22 (blind spot, safety, etc.)

However, over the phone he said two things that concern me:

1. the money factor they’re using is .00205 and Edmunds is saying the MF for that zip is actually .00155. Do I call them out on it and hope they keep the discount?
  2. they have the car i want in stock but he said there’s a nationwide subaru recall, and he can reserve the car for me, but he needs to also check to see if the recall affects that specific car too before I can go pick it up.

Currently waiting for his email with the official quote…

Thoughts?

Another update. Received a better offer from a different dealer. They sent me an actual lease quote.

She sent me two quotes one for the Sport and one for the premium. After discussing with the family we want to go Premium after all for the budget we have.

Here are the details:

2019 Forester Premium (weather package)
MSRP $29,273
Cap cost $27,010
Res 63%
MF .00135
Das $841.63
Monthly payment w/taxes $327.80
(Without taxes $299.36)

I think it’s a solid deal and I think I’m gonna take it!

But of course I want to know what you guys think!

Bump. Sorry I’m getting close to signing wondering what anyone else thinks.

I think if you have shopped around and these are the best numbers you have received, you have your answer. It is not an especially spectacular lease - you’d do way better with an Outback on a lease. For this kind of coin you could be driving an Outback 3.6 Limited.

But if you’re dead set on the Forester, then go for it.

Thanks yeah the wagon style doesn’t really do it for me personally, and yes that’s far and above the best quote I’ve received with no negotiation and full transparency from the beginning with the dealer. I could probably continue to shop around and save $10-$20 (just a guess) but based on my interaction with the 8 or so dealers it may or may not happen.

Then there is your answer. It isn’t a good deal because the car simply isn’t leasing well right now. If you have to have it, then you pay a premium for it.

Hey guys, I’ll be making a trip tomorrow morning to pick up a 2019 Subaru Forester (premium) for $327 per month (I have another thread that has all the details). I’ve learned SO MUCH these last few weeks stalking this forum and having my questions and concerns answered. Thank you!

This is my first lease (and only second car i’ve driven) and I’m a tad bit nervous. The sales rep that’s working with me has been super courteous, quick, and transparent throughout the process so i’m hoping it goes seamless tomorrow. Credit has been ran and everything checks out. Car has been reserved.

Any last minute advice?
I remember when I financed my first car, the transaction was exhausting and annoying especially getting a hard sell from the finance manager. Should I expect something similar tomorrow? Does subaru leasing include gap insurance, if not is it mandatory to purchase? I’m hoping to be in and out within an hour.

Thank you!

I looked into this when leasing an Outback for my parents this summer. Subaru leasing is done through Chase Bank…here are the highlights:

1. Gap insurance is included at no extra cost
  2. Excess wear and tear up to $1,000 is included, excluding certain exclusions (i.e. worn tires).

https://www.chase.com/content/dam/chasecom/en/business-banking/documents/Subaru_Lease_Guide.pdf

Page 5 -

Total Loss and GAP In the event there is a total loss, destruction or theft of the vehicle, we will waive your liability for any GAP amount, provided you are in compliance with your insurance requirements. This GAP Amount Waiver is included in your lease at no additional cost. The GAP amount is how much is due after subtracting the vehicle’s actual cash value (paid by the insurance company) from the Adjusted Lease Balance* on your lease as of the date of the loss. There are certain conditions that must be met before you are released from any additional liabilities:

• We must receive the insurance proceeds for the vehicle’s full actual cash value at the time of loss.

• You must pay any required deductible to Chase or the insurance company (as specified in your insurance policy).

• You must fulfill all your other obligations in your lease agreement.

• Please see your lease agreement for a full explanation of how we calculate the Adjusted Lease Balance.

Page 7 -

Lease-End Charges We will send you your lease-end bill after your vehicle is returned. You will be responsible for payment of certain fees at the scheduled end of the lease term if you do not purchase the vehicle: • Excess Wear and Use Charges: You will owe the estimated costs to repair any damage to the vehicle in excess of $1,000, subject to certain exclusions, such as worn tires. You will owe the full amount of the estimated repair or replacement costs for excluded items of damage. We offer a complimentary lease-end vehicle inspection, as described in the Lease End Vehicle Inspection section, so you will know the amount of any excess wear and use charges before you return the vehicle. Please see your lease agreement for a full description of the excess wear and use standards.

1 Like

The discount is about $300 under invoice. Very little, IMO.

1 Like

Thanks so much!

Sorry Ursus, what are you referring to? The gap insurance? Or the MSRP?