HELP! Baby movers - Cadillac XT5 vs. Lexus RX 350 zero down 36/10 lease

What is the MSRP and selling price of the car? That way you can compare apples to apples… 3k out of pocket very high by the way…

Realistically that is called a Toyota Highlander

1 Like

I think www.cars.com is pretty good and shows all the inventory of the dealers. Much easier than checking each dealership’s website individually.

What do you mean ? RX 350 is the whole different animal compared with Highlander.

RX is just a dressed up highlander, just like the ES is a dressed up Camry. If you want a base model RX you may consider a Highlander.

Is the any chance that we can get higher market value at the end of the lease for RX ? Currently the RV is set for 61% in 36/10. Assuming $47K MSRP, I would have to pay $28.5K at the end of the lease in year 2020 to buy it.

The cheapest used 2014 RX 350 in my area is on sale for $33K. Meaning that if I would have leased this vehicle in 2014, my car was in dealer for sale now for $33K which is $4.5K higher than its RV.

Having said that, do you think it is a right move to lease RX now in a hope to purchase it after the lease finish ?

I’ve read in a Motortrend review that the F-Sport rides pretty harsh on the socal freeways (expansion cracks). Is that true? @vdub84, that’s a pretty good deal you’re getting on the F Sport. What dealers are you working with?

Getting a RX for $400 or so a month seems like it would be a good deal.

Correction. The ES used to be based off the Camry, but it’s now based off the Avalon.

But isn’t the Avalon ultimately based on Camry?

The MSRP was $47,XXX. All over email, so I’ve yet to ask how they came up with the figures, because its higher than I want to be.

As far as the residual goes, it’s great to have a lease that books out even or over. Most leases don’t book out and you have to turn it in as a lease (following all lease term tires, damage, mileage) and not be able to trade with potential equity.

As far as Toyota goes, how stupid are you? 90% of luxury vehicle are based off something cheaper. Go troll somewhere else where your information is relevant

1 Like

@sepidpooy it sounds like that might be an option, but why buy when you can leasehack? You’d be paying double per month for outdated technology and the right to buy new tires. Just turn the car in and let the dealer deal with the issues, then drive home in your 2020 RX 360 :slight_smile:

In a long run, it would be more cost efficient to purchase. Lets say an RX would last 12 years. I could be on $450 / month payment to lease four brand new RX in 12 years Or Lease the car for $450 in first 3 years and pay ~$300 / month with interest to a bank for the other 9 years.

I am not interested to get all the techs every 3 years and it seems there would be no major tech coming in the next couple of years. RX 2018 is just getting 3rd row seat which is not my interest. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You left out maintenance and repairs. Also, I’m sure tech will change a lot in the future. Maybe not in the next 2-3 years, but for sure 5+ will be a big difference (ie auto-pilot, more safety features, etc).

So when you think purchase make sense ?

@socal59 Sorry, I have to play this one a bit close to the chest, since there aren’t many F Sports available and I’ve put in many hours of work to get to this price. After I secure the deal, I’d be more than happy to share my results/dealer here so that you can replicate it. I’m still not at my desired price point of $480 like @jon was able to get. You’d think that incentives would be higher, now that the 18s are on the water, but it doesn’t appear so.

1 Like

Even with the maintenance and repairs (which shouldn’t be too much for a Lexus), you are correct that the purchase would probably be more cost effective if you keep it that long.

I use to be all about buying and keeping a car a long time, but I’ve reached a point in life where I want my wife/child to be in a safe/reliable vehicle and am okay with paying more for this.

1 Like

@sepidpooy when you drive over 15k miles per year, or if you drive under 7,500 miles per year (because you’d be wasting money on unused miles on your timed lease), in which case you would buy a toyota and drive it for the next 20 years. But according to the leasehackr calculator, my target numbers get a score of over 10 years, so it seems that if you can get the right lease deal, it always makes more sense to lease than buy, except for the cases I mentioned.

Purchase makes sense when you are on a budget and buy a nice off-lease vehicle with great reliability that has had it’s residual beaten to a pulp due to the changing market dynamics. Eg buying off lease sedans right now :slight_smile:

How about b[quote=“vhooloo, post:80, topic:15418”]
Purchase makes sense when you are on a budget and buy a nice off-lease vehicle with great reliability that has had it’s residual beaten to a pulp due to the changing market dynamics. Eg buying off lease sedans right now
[/quote]

Well, I need a baby mover… Sedans would not work. Any compact SUV ?