Heading to dealer today. . quick ? about lease buyout

Heading to Chrysler Jeep dealer… Our lease is up… and I know I could sell it to carmax or carvana and easily make 5k. My question is that the buyout includes taxes for carvana or carmax which decreases the amount I get. If I go to the Chrysler dealer ( my lease is a ccap lease) and decide to just roll into a new lease and not sell the car to carmax or carvana. do they make 7k on it? since its there lease and not have to worry about the taxes. I guess I want to know how much money they are getting on this trade in lease? 5k or 7k if I go this route. Hope this makes sense…

It’s like selling your house. The biggest check comes from taking the highest bid. Taxes don’t have anything to do with whether your check is $7k or $5k.

No. No dealer of any kind has to pay sales tax when acquiring a vehicle.

Don’t do that. They’ll make it a shell game and rip you off.

What’s the deal for the new car?

1 Like

No deal yet… we are just going in to talk with the same guy we got our last lease with at Jeep dealership. We have a 2021 Grand Cherokee… gonna try and roll that into a 2024 Grand Cherokee… and currently have an offer on my lease to sell to carmax or carvana 5k to me after buyout…

Carvana and carmax dont have to pay taxes to buy it out.

But with ccap, during the last 60 days of your lease, theyll have a higher buyout. Youll need to do a lease extension to push you back out past 60 days before selling it to carvana/carmax.

4 Likes

This is a surefire way to overpay by thousands of dollars

13 Likes

I feel like I know what to look for … so you are saying just sell the car and start from scratch?

Your first post in this thread and the idea that youre going in to the dealer to see what they can do says otherwise.

There are some fundamental details that youre missing. Nothing wrong with that, everyone has to learn it the first time, but going into the dealer like that will cost you.

So let’s start here:

What is your buyout price without sales tax?
What offer do you have from carvana/carmax?
What is your target deal on the replacement vehicle? Please share your calculator link.

4 Likes

buyout no tax it $24458
carvan carmax 31.7 , 33k
sorry dont have that…

I was just talking to a honda dealer and she said the I cant sell my ccap lease to carvana or carmax… so I called CCAP and they said I can… Then my wife read somewhere that I can seel it to them if its more than the buyout price…??? which makes no sense… why would anyone use them then… am I losing my mind? leaving in 15 minutes…

Do you absolutely have to go to the dealer today? It seems like you still have a lot of questions that need answering (both from here and by yourself). Going into a dealership unprepared is very likely going to lead to a bad deal being signed by you.

5 Likes

Going to 3 different just to test drive and get offers. Lease is 5 months out

You can sell your CCAP lease anywhere for same price as buyout. Likely best to sell this separately and get new deal from scratch without trade in. If more than 60 days remaining just sell to carmax and work the new deal separately

1 Like

Let me guess… theyd be happy to buy it from you, but wont give you anywhere near as much as carvana, but dont worry, its not that theyre screwing you over, its that carvana cant actually buy it, right?

6 Likes

Then you have absolutely no business talking numbers with a dealer. How can you possibly negotiate a deal without knowing where you’re trying to get to?

Go do your test drives and see what you like, but do yourself a gigantic favor and dont talk numbers at all. Don’t bother getting offers. They’re pointless.

8 Likes

:point_up_2: :point_up_2:

Going to a dealer is for test drives and taking delivery. The rest can and should be negotiated and finalized remotely.

6 Likes

so we narrowed down we she wants a Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4 in dark grey or Black ex. vin = 1C4RJHAG4RC160375

what do I do next… ? start sending emails to all the local dealers…

Not sure why I cant go into my dealer where I bought the last one from and see what he comes up with… since Im a rookie at this… Its going to be hard for me to sell the car to carvana and not be without a car for her for too long…

Need advice

I feel like you are playing with a ticking time bomb, just sell the thing to the highest bidder ASAP before you get an accident or these offers expire or they change their minds, car values are not going up. Start sending emails to all dealers in your area with offers to buy, ie I’ll sign and drive today at x deal, try 10% off, plus all incentives(get the TDM, have affiliate?), buy rate on the MF. Isn’t the 4xE a better deal?

what Im not sure about… isnt there repeat lease incentives (since its ccap going to ccap) if I turn in my lease to get the next car. rather than just selling it?

Use LH calc and put together a target payment using your desired discount, applicable rebates and base MF/RV for your term. See if dealer will match. Post your calc link for others to review. Make a separate deal and ask dealer what they will give you for your current vehicle in the form of a check.

1 Like

Do the research and figure that out, what I can say with 99% certainty is that Jeep ain’t going to have $7k equity in 5 months.

1 Like

You can check the Marketplace (A) for Jeep deals and (B) the conditions for the loyalty rebate.

1 Like