Have we hit peak Federal interest rates?

3 Likes

That’s my daughter’s exact statement (except the MF was silent) when offered $600/week for Covid money when she only had a $150/w job.

3 Likes

.15 reduction :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Hey, that could be $2-400 depending on the size and length of the loan.

#lifehacks

1 Like

Wait… what?!?

How about tacos?

2 Likes

Hahaha, we found an area where you, me and Michelle Obama agree. There are tremendous national benefits to being healthy. Obesity and smoking cost a tremendous amount of money. Both in direct costs as well as removing people from the labor market.
Also an area where you would get less pushback on not providing them care.

But, those people aren’t the biggest driver of increasing elder health care costs. People who are obese and smoke don’t normally live into their 80s. Their bodies fail before their minds.

The super expensive cases are the opposite. People who eat healthy and exercise. Those are the folks who are gonna Iive into their 80s. Many will have their minds fail before their bodies. These are the people who may need comprehensive inpatient care for years or even decades once their minds fail.

If you really believe in this option you can’t avoid death panels. If someone has no money, is in the ER and clearly can’t take care of themselves where does the hospital discharge them to?

3 Likes

You make a valid point however can we agree our current system is not working?

1 Like

You forgot Eric Adams. I think they give vegan meals on Friday’s now .

1 Like

Depends. Do they have money in the bank? If so pay up. If not then charity would be able to handle it better then govt. Regardless who picks up the tab it will become more and more unsustainable as time goes on. So there needs to be more personal responsibility. It used to be the family takes care of their elderly. Many Asian countries have the highest percentage of people over 80 and they don’t spend a fraction what we do.

It comes down to corporations taking advantage of govt spending to enrich themselves in this country. Elder care is a huge money maker. Look at all the new sunrise retirement facilities being built.

I’ve seen It first hand, my grandmother is 94. I used to take her to the doctor often, it’s mri after ct after stress test. Completely unnecessary, charge it to Medicare to boost hospital profits. We won’t talk about all the drugs they have her on, and added drugs to offset the side effects of the next one. It’s absurd.

1 Like

Yes. We pay way too much for healthcare given the return. We spend twice as much as the UK per person but have a lower life expectancy.

And I am not saying I have the solution. Just that despite what some politicians say there aren’t simple solutions. Everything requires sacrifice and trade offs.

2 Likes

The dilemma I am seeing is if the Fed wanted to combat inflation they will need to continue to raise rates for a long time. We’ve never seen rate hikes like this in history. Eventually, the Fed will need to refinance its debt and they or we do not have the funds. If the US was a company it would be rated CCC because it cannot make the interest payment on it’s debt. A company that is rated AAA is able to make 10x its interest payment. It’s not the 80s and Powell is no Paul Volcker.

3 Likes

Whom is collecting the interest on said debt? That is the issue…completely unnecessary. The govt has every right under the constitution to issue and coin money. Whoever is collecting said interest is the enemy of humanity. Bc I’m sure they collect it from the world bank and the IMF as well.

3 Likes

If most Americans were on unemployment, why did the government decide to give stimulus checks?

1 Like

Who does the Fed owe? The short answer is they owe themselves. That’s what inflation is. Inflation is just governments implicitly defaulting. It’s the expansion of the money supply to “pay off” obligations. And so the cost of that default is being externalize onto the productive and consumer markets. An example of an implicit default was in 1971 when Nixon made the decision to take us off the gold standard.

2 Likes

We have banks that are 25x times leveraged. That means for every $100 of loans they make, they will only hold $4 of equity capital and the other $96 comes from depositor money. The banks need inflation so that collateral backing the loan needs to increase in value because the banks are only holding so little.

Ha! I love that i live in your mind rent free. Dang. I have no clue who you are but you still remember me. Honestly I am flattered. Thank you bro. I hope you thinking about me doesn’t keep you up at night.

1 Like

please, for the love of god, just stop with this nonsense.

Not at all bro. Its been great amusement watching you “adults” last 18 months.

21 or 32 depending which adults you’re referencing.

1 Like

Stop with what nonsense? What did I say that was nonsense?