Hard no to EVs!

As I’m sitting on a plane bored after 20 rounds of playing sling drift, I felt like this would be a great time to vent a little about my recent EV experience. Disaster would be an understatement, but I let you decide…

I reserved a car with Avis to take on a spontaneous trip to HHN in Orlando.

HHN is one of my favorite events and I have a whole system and plan on how I go about my visit to maximize seeing all the haunted houses in the shortest amount of time. I’m not going to go into detail here but arrival at a certain time is part of my plan to make it all work.

I ordered the car for noon pickup which gives me 5 hours to get there, which is plenty of time. At 11:15am I get a call from Avis “we have some bad news but Avis pulled our inventory, all I have left for you is a Kia Niro EV”. Having no time to get another rental elsewhere I went to pick up the car.

Now this is important:

1. I know nothing about EVs. Never jumped on the LH Bolt or Etron craze. I had a hybrid BMW before with a battery that gave me 12 miles of range which I always felt was not worth the hassle of charging so I never did.
  2. I had no time to educate myself because I had to get the car immediately to make it in time.
  3. I listened to the rental car employee believing that he must know what he’s taking about.

When I picked up the car I asked what the range is on that car. He told me 250 miles. My trip was 200 miles so I felt that based on his information, I would have enough range to make it to HHN, the hotel and a charger in the morning. Since I had no alternative car I felt that it was doable so I took the car. I was told by the Avis employee that i could charge the car at Tesla chargers with the included cable in the trunk and to download an app to find chargers on the way which I did. The car did show 254 mile range when I got in.

45 minutes into the trip I noticed the range number going down faster and faster. We started looking at the app to find a charger on the way because it became clear that we weren’t going to make it.

We then found out that you can’t charge a Kia EV at a Tesla charger. Well of course you can’t If you really think about it but I took the Avis employees word and didn’t give it much more thought, my concern was to leave in time to make it.

Then we came to find out that not all chargers are created equal and that I’d have to find a charger that is a fast charger. That was a problem as well as there were none around me and I had to drive out of my way to find one.

Ended up at a fast charger at a Wawa gas station somewhere in the middle of nowhere. We loaded $10 on the app which you need to pay for the charge but the charger turned out to be free courtesy of Wawa so we kinda wasted $10 on the app.

The charge took 26 min to get us back to 80% charged. Apparently you can’t fill up past that quickly, the last 20% of charge take a long time even on a fast charger. It’s just one smack in the face after the next. Ended up stuffing my face with 1200 empty calories of fried food from PDQ while waiting for the car to charge. Nothing like drowning your EV problems in greasy chicken fingers and fries.

Of course all this took a lot of time and we ended up getting to HHN late, which kinda messed up my mapped-out game plan. Still ended up having a good time until after we left.

Now at 1am, we are sitting in the Universal parking lot ($27 by the way to park there), debating what to do with my 35 mile of remaining range. Called the hotel, they have no chargers. I couldn’t find a fast charger on the app near the hotel either. I wasn’t confident that I’d have enough range left to drive around in the morning to find a charger. Even if we did we’d still only have an 80% charge which wouldn’t be enough to get back so I’d have to charge 2-3 times to just try to get home. And that would mean more breaks wasting a bunch of time and calories again.

I then did the only sensible decision I could come up with while tired AF at 1am after walking 23000 steps through HHN:
Use up the remaining couple of mile range to try to make it to the 24-hour Avis airport location to swap it out for a normal car.

They swapped me out for a Prius. Yes, a Prius, and I couldn’t have been happier.

So the moral of the story, and really the reason why I wrote this long story, is to provide some insight into what a road trip with an EV is like in case you ever consider getting into EVs. Especially if you don’t know about EVs like me.

I know all you Tesla fanboys will say how it’s different with Teslas. And maybe it is. Sure, the infrastructure is better etc but it’s still an EV and you still have to make stops and charge it and it’s just so so so annoying.

My condo building is full of Teslas, can’t charge them there either. The owners have to go drive in rush hour traffic and find a charger and then sit there and charge.

I know all the manufacturers are leaning into EVs. But it’s not a car for everyone.

If you live in a house and have the ability to install the right charger at home and you just do local driving to do some grocery shopping, sure it can be a great fit.

For anybody else, might be worth thinking about it twice.

Or rent one for a day and experience all the hassle yourself.

The choice is yours, my choice is a hard no to EVs.

16 Likes

The moral of the story is vote Republican.

26 Likes

Reading about your experience, I can concur with quite a few of the arguments you’ve made.

However, in the early days of gasoline motoring, people experienced the same thing you have - poor quality of fueling, roads, etc.

I do think the technology will eventually get better, but it’s gonna be crappy at first. Am I still looking at big 4.4l V8s where I am, absolutely because I am an idjiot.

2 Likes

that sounds like a BMW V8 displacement, don’t do it man

1 Like

I probably won’t. Defender check just hit, and I’m just being stupid.

Hahaha :rofl: . I think this may have made my Saturday. :us: :us:

1 Like

So you had a bad experience with a sub-par EV rental and shitty/badly informed customer service and that’s why we’re not ready for EV’s.

Got it.

29 Likes

Maybe change title to Hard no to EV rentals.

11 Likes

insert Tesla comment here

3 Likes

Say what you will about Tesla but their charging network is second to none.

5 Likes

Yeah there’s a place for a hard yes and a hard no for EVs. And owning one teaches you that it takes some adjustment to plan accordingly. Adding EVs to rental fleets seems premature (maybe Teslas with all the superchargers) but at a time of $4 gas it’s great to have one car with a tank and one that plugs in.

4 Likes

This is why I only use jetpacks. But I still land for chicken fingers and fries.

9 Likes

The government’s money can (on a rare occasion) accomplish wonderful things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But in terms of the charging network, I would agree.

1 Like

Seems to me some prep and homework would have made this much easier.

Sounds typical for anyone new not just to EVs but to planning on driving an EV a long distance.

3 Likes

how you turned this political is mind boggling lol and first post too

21 Likes

Reminds me - are chicken fries still a thing??

1 Like

Haha,

I really really want to Get an airplane-even though I don’t have a license to fly nor do I know how to even start one…

That’s the issue these days-people will DIS on anything without putting an effort to LEARN the basics at least… I know this situation was unique but to say NO to ALL APPLES just because of one bad apple…OP no offense but like I’ve said in most my previous posts People don’t PLAN to FAIL-but FAIL to plan, and I’m sticking with it.

I had a “regular” EV (Bolt) and range est. was 259 miles… I took that thing so many times to Vegas (315 mi trip) but I was prepared and knew that using AC, Hills will decrease my range-so I estimated where to stop to charge, we can’t just dismiss something just because we aren’t educated about it (Climate Change for example :imp:-lay it on me :us: 'murica) I would own a Hydrogen (Toyota Mirai) but I know I can’t travel outside of CA with it, so I don’t We ain’t ready YET

I saw a documentary about this Indonesian village that was killing so many Manta-Ray’s for selling and profit, conservationists tried to educate them that in doing so they will destroy all of them and won’t have any means of surviving after that… they pushed back but after they realized what conservationists told them a BETTER way to make $$$ is by Tourism and diving tours with the Rays will make them more Sustainable and everybody wins…
Moral of the story is: Don’t diss because you know so little and LEARN from your mistakes

12 Likes

You didn’t get it

1 Like

Yea, there’s def a place for them, not in my household tho :joy:

1 Like

We’re not there yet but I have high hopes. Need better infrastructure and more battery range. We did come a long way from 75mi leaf range

4 Likes