Haggle with a Lease Broker?

I wish this weren’t real but after working with a client that declined to negotiate price, they just wanted a discount, I believe it.

Oh, they also thought Agile meant “faster”.

1 Like

Not a broker here but after I send a quote, if someone asks for more off I tell them to buy elsewhere. People that are difficult to work with are the scariest individuals to arm with a loaded survey. Unlike the brokers on here a bad survey actually costs me money.

A difficult customer will not give you a good survey. It takes experience but sometimes the cars you dont sell, those are the ones that make you the most money.

6 Likes

Surveys still affect us. Too many bad surveys and a dealer loses incentive to work with us and our client base.

3 Likes

Has it happened to you before?

We typically don’t let it get that far. If we sense a problem client we broom them faster than Rosie after a dust bunny.

2 Likes

This makes zero sense. Are you making clear that your quote is absolutely the best price you can do and final offer? Otherwise, how is the customer supposed know.

Based on your statement, you would tell 99% of people on LH to go buy elsewhere. You’re treating your quotes as non-negotiable without necessarily informing the customer where the default understanding is that this is a negotiation.

Last year, a CA dealer sent me a “quote” for an XC90 that was sitting on the lot for 7+ months at MSRP + $1k protection package. That was no offer at all, and after I walked away, he repeatedly asked for counter offers.

6 Likes

The difference is it’s “too many” for you. This Feb one (1) survey that was a 7/10 cost me $1800. For me its ONE bad survey.

3 Likes

I don’t have time to waste. I give people 1 number. I tell them if someone beats it by a penny to please shop elsewhere.

Again one bad survey can cost $1800. Thats about the same as selling 6 additional cars for me.

24 cars with no issues >>>>>>>29 deals with just one customer giving me 8/10

I understand that a lot of “hackers” enjoy this as a hobby. This isn’t a hobby or a side hustle for me. It’s my career.

7 Likes

Wait I just reread your post, you think what we post are negotiations? I thought the whole point of this site was to skip that part?

This is tinder for car deals not match.com

4 Likes

It’s strange that a negotiation would lead to a bad survey, especially when the survey comes to the inbox after the deal is done. And to do the deal, the pricing has to be agreeable, doesn’t it? So why would someone be so angry with you that they sign a contract and then seek revenge by way of a survey?

A person who tries to negotiate a best possible deal does not automatically make them a difficult buyer. I wonder how much business you lose out on over this fear.

1 Like

I get not wanting to deal with PITA customers and that good surveys are a big deal.

However I’m not following the logic at all that a customer who counters your offer is automatically going to be one that gives you a bad survey.

heavy negotiators who nickel and dime and whine a lot are usually the hardest to please and most likely to give bad surveys.

Some of the happiest customers are the retail customers that walk in and get a lousy deal

Anyone who has worked at a dealer understands

3 Likes

Remember a bad survey costs $1800, in some cases more. The people who are obsessed with “winning” a negotiation never feel like they got the best deal. Those customers are dangerous with a survey in hand.

If people want to negotiate keep me out of it. If you want a simple good deal with no headaches thats what I provide.

I do not chase the bottom of the market.

2 Likes

The point of posting deals here is that we move fast. Here is the deal, take it or leave it. If you want to go back and forth walk into your local dealer and waste hours. I get paid on surveys and cars sold. Going back and forth with people tends to be bad for both.

When you said I’m not a broker here, I don’t think people realized you posted deals here in the marketplace. I assume you meant these aren’t negotiable which makes sense since they are in line with brokers, not referring to walk in non LH customers.

2 Likes

A person who goes back on an initial offer is not a heavy negotiator in my view.

If it works for you, then more power to you. The nature of the career you have chosen is one in which negotiating is the normal course of business. I still can’t help but wonder how many good buyers you have turned away because they wanted a better price after your initial offer.

EDIT: @thevolvoguy are you only referring to LH buyers when you say you won’t negotiate? Or all buyers?

@NATO
Pop Corn GIF by WWE

1 Like

I mean you can walk in to my store and you will get the same pricing as on here, the first time from me anyway.

If I am willing to supply a broker a car at a certain number, I am willing to sell it on here at that same number and I am willing to sell in store at that number.

If someone walks into my store, I sit them down, figure out what model, trim and color they want. Pull up the exact car. Send them out on a test drive, when they come back I give them 2 selling prices, one for leases and on for finances/cash. Then I ask how they want it structured. give them the structure they want on a copy of the window sticker and my card. Then I ask them to think about it and shoot me a call, text or email when they want to move forward.

Thats it.

2 Likes

You telling me your coworkers play 4 square all day?

4 Likes

Some brokers (with certain brands) will say that they’ll beat a legitimate, written quote from another broker or dealer. But for the most part (99.9%), the price they quote you or post here on LH is the BEST they can (and will) do. It just takes an email or phone call after your test drive to compare with the broker’s price. The 1st vehicle I leased through a broker here (2019 Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed) was literally $100 per month cheaper (thank-you @Bostoncarconcierge) than the local dealer. On the flip side, I’ve reached out to brokers here on LH who have told me their discount isn’t that great or they don’t have the inventory…

The brokers and dealers that are on here know hackers. They aren’t here posting to waste perspective clients’ time or their own time.

4 Likes