GYM RATS - How are you guys holding up?!

Like the title says, I’m a big gym rat and keep a very active lifestyle in the gym.

This quarantine is killing me. I’m now subjected to push ups, resistance bands and an ab wheel. Not much of a runner and don’t really care much to get on a bicycle.

How are you guys dealing with this? I’m about to start bench pressing my sofa…

I sprint on the street almost daily. No resistance training of any kind. Weight is down a lot but I still look mostly the same, it could be from years lifting in the low-rep range but I’d never know.

How about getting some dumbells? All kinds of exercises you can do with a couple of sets of DB’s

Thought about getting adjustable dumbbell set but they’re not cheap (for a good set) so I figured I didn’t want to invest in that for the short term.

Hoping gyms reopen next month but I think it’ll be closer to June…

Bye bye 2020 summer bod :cry:

I usually run outdoors so no change on that front. However, I have been using the ironmaster adjustable dumbbells and superbench at home. It’s not the same but at least I will preserve some of my gainz. Check out this youtuber. He has a bunch of exercises you can do at home w/o weights. https://www.youtube.com/user/RHp1211h/videos

So you dont run or bike how do you get the summer bod?

I’m using a pull-up bar (40 bucks), resistance bands (35 bucks), and a 4 year old (much, much more expensive) as equipment. It’s not the same as my typical workout regiment, but the purpose of exercise is bolstering mental health rather than building strength/mass at this point.

2 Likes

Been doing push ups, sit ups, jump rope and I have a 20lb barbell I’m doing high reps universally. Moved my workouts to the deck now that it’s warm out just to change it up.

Not being able to play basketball has really sucked. They either took down the rims or tied up the nets at the parks so I can’t even shoot around.

I’m also an outdoor runner and have been adding a lot more miles. I think that’s been my saving grace.

How you guys doing on the food? I’m eating so much more out of bordem that whatever I burn off I’m pretty much giving right back. Any tips that are helping you? I’m trying to eat a piece of fruit and drink a glass of water anytime I want something but the cravings are strong.

2 Likes

Extremely clean diet. If you’re seasoned, you understand it’s more diet than the regime…

You can never out train a poor diet…

3 Likes

So then gym has nothing to do with it…your taper should have started in March. Pushups, pullups, grab some bands, and 20-25 lb dumbells. Mix that with your diet taper and your shredded for summer.

1 Like

Apples, greek yogurt…oatmeal are satiation foods. You feel fuller of these and curb cravings.

Cant play Basketball…work on your handle in the driveway. Take it back and do some highschool sprint drills haha

All good points but like other comments, it’s about mental health and pumping those weights puts me in a better mood…

Going to have to force myself to do sprints and get myself to jogging on asphalt.

Hope everyone is hanging tough until the gyms reopen

Distance running produces the same high, sprinting, body weight workouts. I have friends in special forces, seals and government agencies stationed around the world at times. No gym equipment and they all have come back bigger then they left. Improvising is the key to working out for life…no one can go to the gym and do the same same split their whole life…use that to change to a outdoor workout. As you know tempo is everything…do five pushups with a five count up and down…tell me if benching ever made you feel that way.

2 Likes

Just buy it. The gyms aren’t charging their memberships fees this month anyways. Transportation costs are down as well.

3 Likes

Never found the will to fully commit going to the gym for too long and running hurts everything, lol. The only thing I stuck to is riding my bike/desk 24/7, basically any time I’d be sitting on the couch, I’m on the bike, including now. It even has resistance bands to do curls. So far dropped 30lb since last April, hoping for 30lb more this summer, but covid-19 is screwed that up.

First congrats on the initial weightloss. Running hurts everything because its working. If you want it bad enough you will do anything to get it. I have a chest cold and ran 5 miles yesterday and lifting throughout the day today while im working.

Everyone…this is the time to come out of this bad situation with a goals conquered. Set them and achieve them for mental and physical health. I challenge everyone to put goals into this chat and lets revisit and check them off together.

1 Like

Thanks. I thought it would hurt less once I lose some extra weight, but no. Bones, toes, heels you name it :grin:. Plus, I can watch stuff or work while on the bike, not so much running.

Bikes good…set a goal to bike 2020 miles by the time this is all over.

1 Like

Thankfully I have access to my friends complete home gym. I have been walking everyday outside and I still have my Nordic Track spin bike in my basement.

I’m gonna give him and his family a nice tip after all of this is over.

1 Like

Same here. Lifting throughout the day and trying to run through metatarsalgia and what I think is meniscus issues. I used to run 6 days a week with my Saturday run being my long run. Had to cut back to running every other day till I heal up. On days that I don’t get a run in I can definitely feel a difference in my mood. Especially when I see someone running by my house!