GX 550 mark up?

I’ve been waiting a while for the GX 550 and a dealership in NYC has a nebula gray with black prem+ in the showroom. They have a $5k mark up and won’t negotiate. Is this a fair deal? Let me know your thoughts.

A quick search will show that the GX550 is available at MSRP.

I’d suggest you broaden your search significantly, or hire a broker (there are quite a few that serve the tri-state).

The dealer can charge whatever they want, and you can either pay it or not. You just need to figure out the number you can live with, and are you in it for the specific vehicle, or for the deal.

Good luck!

6 Likes

Yes, very fair

2 Likes

Definitely not a fair deal unless you need the car this instant. A search on the Lexus website shows in transit cars at dealers in NYC area and out to PA at MSRP and the dealer websites show the same, I doubt these dealers will add on markups when the car arrives on the lot. If you don’t need it right now, wait until inventory improves.

Majority of these cars are already reserved. Most of the dealers have a deep waiting list. Want a car now, prepare to overpay.

1 Like

Exactly, thus very fair

So why would anyone overpay for this vehicle when they can wait a few months and get it at a discount. I remember when people were paying above MSRP for Jeep Gladiators. Now Jeep can’t give them away.

2 Likes

Reserved or not, they are listed at MSRP so the cars can be had without markups by broadening dealership search. The waiting lists for Lexus are not Porsche or other specialty brand where it’s years to get some allocation, at most it’s a matter of weeks.

1 Like

What do you mean the iphone 27 costs more at launch then it does a year later?

See how silly this logic sounds?

1st adopters of almost ANYTHING pay the early adopter tax

2 Likes

You won’t get it at a discount for another year or year and a half on the GX. Too many people on the reservation list at the dealerships.

1 Like

Is that true, @AutoCompanion?

1 Like

Here’s a flip:

About a 25k rip, if realized.

No clue. How many dealers have you reached out to? What are brokers in the Marketplace offering?
I would suggest doing some research.

1 Like

Lazybones, pick up the phone and start dialing. Jesus it’s not rocket science.

3 Likes

My local dealer has them landing and they’re not automatically spoken for. I’m test driving one this week, I’m not sure if it’s a meaningful upgrade vs my defender

1 Like

Do you have the p400 mhev i6? If so that’s a better engine I think than the v6 tt in this.

Defender is a smoother ride, air suspension and unibody vs. body on frame. Pretty much a wash off-pavement.

I still love the defender’s gearbox—so underrated. But the new gx is pretty terrific.

No just the 4 on my wife’s. It’s a great car, very smooth and we have had 0 issues with it. It’s just become the uniform car for yoga moms in my yuppie suburban town and I cringe when I drive it.

3 Likes

Tested a Lux +, very nice car though the 2nd row seems smaller, probably due to the 3rd row while somehow making a bigger trunk vs the Defender. Engine felt powerful and the steering was very responsive. Dealer wanted a $5k adjustment plus clear coat BS and nitro tires so I said thanks and drove off.

1 Like

Defender has a small trunk. No surprise there.

1 Like