Guide to reading lease paperwork before signing?

The guy is afraid of me taking it around and getting it beaten (a reasonable fear lol) so he won’t send it to me before he comes to deliver the car.

Hi there! Read the discussion thus far and was wondering if what I attached would help. Please note that this is preliminary numbers plugged in by the dealership so I can see what the numbers are.

What items do you think should be taken off, if any?

Give me a couple hours and I’ll post something. Thanks for posting!

Happy to contribute… I posted a request for review on this potential deal too😬 I wouldn’t mind a critique or advise on the deal. Lol

Thanks again👌🏻

1 Like

@Laker24 @taikis How does this look? Please critique and ask questions if things are unclear.

Probably will want to right click and ‘view image’

9 Likes

The one id add based on my experience a couple months back, is to be super careful with any credit cards they offer. My dealer offered me the BMW credit card while signing my paperwork, which I said I didn’t want but signed where I thought the ‘I decline’ part was. But it got processed as me requesting the card, so imagine my shock a few days later getting that in the mail.

While not as central to the process as the lease numbers, things like this can trip you up (or at least me lol)

@chrishs2000 Thanks very much for putting this together. It is a valuable reference and I’m sure will become a Sticky for the community.

Just one ask, can you upload a better resolution of the 1st image? It very blurry and when its thrown a word doc or pdf to print, it really can’t be seen well. The 2nd image is better and can be read after printing.

It’s scaling down on the forum preview but it’s a full size JPG output from a Word file. Save it as a photo to your computer by right clicking the image.

2 Likes

Thanks for this reference! Very informative for sure​:grimacing::ok_hand:t2::smiley:

Need to digest it more and ask questions later, if I have any. Thanks much!

1 Like

I did a right click and copy image, then pasted into word, and its blurry.

Just tried downloading / saving image to desktop, inserted and same result.

Maybe you can upload your word version to Google docs and link that here.

Don’t copy it, you’re copying the preview. Save the actual picture. It’s a 2.76MB 4951x6526 JPG.

3 Likes

For line item 9A.1, suggestion to keep CCR to $0 is to make sure that in case of totaled vehicle, we don’t loose that CCR $?

Got it, thanks again

1 Like

Correct. CCR = Down Payment.

In case of a total loss, GAP insurance covers the difference between your payoff and the value of the vehicle. If the appraised value of the vehicle is less than your payoff, any cap cost reduction will be lost. On some brands like Hyundai/Kia, we’ve seen that even if the appraised value is higher they will keep the money for themselves. Regardless, there’s very little financial incentive to make a down payment.

2 Likes

Great job on this! This should be a sticky…thank you for putting all the time in as I am sure this will help quite a few members.

Section 9B3 can get tricky. As noted this usually signifies how much money the dealer is expecting you to bring to the table. But sometimes (when they are getting creative) that is not the case and the dealer is actually chipping in some money here. I believe this works out better anyway as if the dealer shows some of their contribution as a capitalized cost reduction, it then becomes taxable.

Chris, great job on this. One item to look at. On line 2 CCR. On my last contract, Incentives such as Lease Cash, conquest, OL codes were applied here. Isn’t that typical?

Thanks. You mean 9-B 2?

9A1. For example, the 2000 lease cash would be on 9B2 but also would be used on 9A1?

1 Like