GT4 - Talk Me Into This Terrible Decision

We took in a GT4 that I want to buy. Trading in my 22’ 718 Cayman that I spec’d to my exact preferences with every sport option (PTV+, PASM), my favorite color, ventilated seats, LED headlights, blind spot, etc. $95k MSRP.

The GT4 has PDK, 18-way, and PCCBs ($123k MSRP). No LEDs, blindspot, and white which I am okay with but not thrilled about (wrap would be in the future). It does have PPF and ceramic coating already.

I am getting it around $10k below market plus a very fair value on my trade-in. Someone talk me into this GT4 that will be easy to flip out of at any time.

4 Likes

Do you need anymore convincing LOL
718 cayman for a gt4 do you like free money?

Also I thought all gt4 are manual?

2 Likes

What Cayman, is it a 4.0? Either way get the GT4, only thing really missing is the carbon buckets. But not everyone can deal with those day to day.

If and when the Porsche market does go back to reality, your Cayman is going to do what used Caymans do…depreciate.

GT4/Spyder are officially discontinued. They will do nothing but hold their value.

Really my hurdle is no LEDs and no blind spot. I do a lot of long-distance drives (7000 miles last year for road trips). I know that is stupid, but LEDs make a huge difference at night.

As of 2021, PDK was an option.

I don’t want buckets. I will drive this semi-daily and I have some lower back issues, so the 18-ways are whats comfortable. The normal Cayman will be dead after 2024 as well since it goes EV for 2025. I suspect that the normal 718 will do fine, but not as well as the GT4.

But today, it will cost me $71k (leased it for that employee discount) to buy out my S vs. $119k on the GT4 after taxes and my equity.

GT4 all day.

Where there is a will there is a way. Blind spot is no big deal, and I am sure you can swap those to LEDs, correct?

1 Like

I have looked into it and it is too cost prohibitive. About $6k for the headlights and then another $5k for all the new wiring harnesses, relays, etc. Plus install as well. There is a way to upgrade the Xenons from 25W to 35W, which I will do since that cost $200.

do it so you can swap the gt4 for the next step up later

7 Likes

The only normal Cayman that will do fine is the GTS 4.0. Overtime the 4-bangers won’t be sought after. 981 Caymans will eventually end up being more valuable. But I am talking many years down the road.

Do it. You’ll be the coolest guys at your dealership

1 Like

How long were you planning to keep the Cayman? Seems like a no brainer, though I do question the sanity of someone who ordered a GT4 without LEDs…

I would wager that the GT4 would/should see better value retention of the two. Swapping the headlights isn’t really a sensible option, unless the GT4 was purchased on clearance. OEM Porsche parts are just too expensive to go LED, as you’ve said.

I also agree with your stance on the white. White does look good, but I would prefer to have something else on a car like the GT4…

Do it. Seriously, Do It.

3 Likes

Do It GIF

8 Likes

You should upgrade to a GT4 if you want but this particular car doesn’t seem to be the right one for you. I’d suggest just waiting for the right car to come along and upgrade then. This car may be $10k under market value but a high quality wrap job is $5k? And then the missing options like the LED and blind spot monitoring will bug you just that little bit every time you drive it.

4 Likes

That is one of my thoughts as well. 3-5 years trade it up for a 992.2 GT3 or something like that.

I looked at every GT4 my dealer sold since 2021 and this was the closest to what I wanted. I came close on one that was $3k over MSRP but no PPF on it and they were $1k less on my trade in and I would have to ship both cars. So by then, I would be spending $6k more plus it was $10k more (asking $133k). I am trying to keep it around a sensible $125k. No BSM on any GT4, so really just the LEDs. If it has LEDs instead of PCCBs, this would be an no brainer for me.

I would keep the 718 S for at least 2 more years and either buy it out or order a 992.2 911 to replace it. This was originally ordered by another dealer and we dealer traded for it. The GT4 I would keep for 3-5 at least.

Hopefully this can convince you

Dear @wam22,

I understand that you are considering getting the Porsche GT4, and I want to encourage you to make the bad decision and go for it. Here are a few reasons why:

First of all, life is short, and we should enjoy it to the fullest. Owning a Porsche GT4 is a dream for many car enthusiasts, and you have the opportunity to make that dream a reality. Imagine the thrill of driving that powerful machine on the open road, feeling the wind in your hair and the adrenaline pumping through your veins. It’s an experience that money can’t buy, and you don’t want to miss out on it.

Secondly, owning a Porsche GT4 is not just about the car itself, but it’s also about the lifestyle and the community that comes with it. Porsche owners are a passionate group of people who share a common love for the brand and the driving experience. You’ll have the opportunity to attend Porsche events and meet other enthusiasts who share your passion. It’s a great way to make new friends and be part of something bigger than yourself.

Lastly, a Porsche GT4 is not just a bad decision, but it’s also a good investment. Porsches are known for their quality and reliability, and they hold their value very well over time. So not only will you be enjoying the driving experience, but you’ll also have a valuable asset that you can sell or trade-in if you ever decide to move on.

In conclusion, @wam22, I believe that you should make the bad decision and get the Porsche GT4. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to own a dream car, be part of a passionate community, and make a smart investment. So go ahead, take the leap, and enjoy the ride of your life.

8 Likes

Thanks Chat GPT.

27 Likes

I was making my dream build on this exact car yesterday.

A very early congrats :tada::balloon::champagne: @wam22

3 Likes

Oh wow didn’t realize lane change assist is not available on the GT4/Spyder. Anyway, given that this build is close to what you want, I’d go for it. PCCBs seem like sort of a free roll since you get the money back on those when you sell…just hope you don’t have a freak case of needing to replace a rotor!

2 Likes

lmao just do it

8 Likes