Grand Wagoneer----Its Biiiiiig

Apparently the concept revealed today hinted at PHEV here too.

I just went and looked at all the photos, this thing is pretty hideous. Looks kind of slapped together, especially the rear side windows

I hear you. Sure thereā€™s the GLS, X7.

From a mainstream perspective, however, the point still holds.

They just donā€™t sell that many luxury full size suvs tbh

The x7, gls, navigator, escalade all sold roughly 20k units per model per year, with 17 million new cars and light trucks sold every year I bet the whole luxury full size suv market makes up 1%, these 4 units make up .4%.

Not many out there are buying/leasing 80k+ suvs.

1 Like

How can someone be impressed by this design yet alone this model as a whole? Where do I even start Itā€™s an FCA product, itā€™s really ugly looking, looks Chinese inspired, nothing impressive has been added, 100k pricetag for this lol? Did I mention itā€™s an FCA product?

1 Like

Great interior. Just ugly exterior.

1 Like

LMFAO. Spot on 110%

Same people who buy Escalades?

2 Likes

Do note though that the Chinese market Grand Commander is actually based on the Fiat Global Compact Wide platform that underpins vehicles such as the Cherokee and Pacifica. Probably one reason why the front end dimensions looks similar to that of a Cherokee. I donā€™t know the dimensions, but it wouldnā€™t shock me if the wheelbase and/or length are shared with the Pacifica.

Iā€™d say Land Navigatorā€¦Interior is sick, though all those added tech packages is going to greatly drive up costs.

Price is what counts, and maybe based on 1500 Platform, it wonā€™t be too badā€¦after year 1 or 2.

Iā€™d get one as the wifeyā€™s car if the price was right.

Curious what engine will go in it. Doubt Hellcat now; maybe 5.7

Why would anyone spend 100k on an suv when they could get an Escalade, especially with the new design coming out, navigator cant even compare.

They messed up bad on the '21 escalade exterior.

The old escalade exterior was much better than the new navigator.

The new navigator had much better interior than the old escalade.

Now I would say that the navigator looks better and the interior is about even, tech advantage goes in favor of the escalade when super cruise becomes available.

I have yet to see one in person but they look nice. Own an Escalade and drove the navigator and I donā€™t think the Lincoln interior can touch it. The navigator interior feels cheap from the leather to the big awkward screen sticking up in the middle. Hopefully Lincoln fixes up the interior because I really wanted to like it and Lamborghini doors would be cool too.

Ah, I was on the opposite side of you, navigator was leased in the household, rented an escalade when we went down to dallas last year.

Navigator > interior room

Escalade had > exterior looks (looked more muscular)

navigator seats/tech > old escalade

Yeah the screen was placed awkwardly but the escalade looked severely dated, plus I donā€™t remember any hvac or media system controls in the 2nd row, no panoramic roof on the old escalade either, parking assist was awful, acc and lane keep worked well. Navigator has great park assist.

The escalade had more low end torque but was a bit jerky at higher speeds, Donā€™t know if that was due to the Texas highways made of concrete or the transmission, but it wasnā€™t as smooth as the 3.5 ecoboost in the navigator which is sluggish until it hits 3k rpmā€¦ when the boost kicks in. Both accelerate fine, but when the ecoboost is in boost itā€™s fast as an extremely large suv can be.

Escalade quality of materials looked like half bargain bin parts from gm and half actual stuff designed for the escalade, column shifter looked like it came from a silverado.

Still both are two of the best in luxury full size suvs in my opinion but it was clear the escalade was dated, new refresh looks like it has done wonders for the tech and interior, the exterior is another story thoā€¦ maybe it will grow on people.

Excellent review and comparison! One thing I will say about the escaladeā€™s interior is that some of the buttons are awkward to use until you get the hang of it. I really like the low end torque and the smooth ride/handling of the quiet cabin. I also have the previous version of the Escalade and there is a large step up between the two.

Funny story when I test drove the navigator it took me about what felt like two minutes to figure out how to put it into drive! You are probably right about the shifter on the Escalade being from a Silverado, Iā€™ve never paid it much attention to it. I think I could just never get over the big square screen in the navigator sticking up. We also have the Platinum edition on the Escalade which I recommend checking out over the base Escalade you may find at a rental car company.

I was stoked for the new Escalade to come out until I found out they werenā€™t going to incorporate the autopilot until next year. My dad just bought a Lincoln Corsair and loves it stepping away from a macan.

We had the premium, I think one step above baseā€¦ it was hertz, but anyway missed out on the power running boards, the fixed ones arenā€™t meant for suvs lol and massaging seats I believe, would have liked to compare them to the navigators massaging seats.

I think 2021 will be the year of the autopilot, ford just announced the level 2 autopilot wouldnā€™t be available for use on the new f-150 until Q3 2021, I am going to go out on a limb and say they add it to the navigator for MY 2022 among others in the lineup that receive it.

Should be interesting to compare the super cruise vs co-pilot assist 2.0

And they took away the fog lights ā€¦ How am I supposed to drive when its foggy?

What about Lincoln - a Ford Expedition in (admittedly rather nice) dragā€¦And to be honest Lincoln has long had a bit of a stigma of being a retirees car, amongst other stereotypical buying demographics which kept it off many peoples radar for a long time. Then the new navigator and aviator dropped and somewhat flipped the script.

You canā€™t get discounts off them readily and they are in the 90k-100k+ range

Jeep will do fine with this and doesnā€™t have the baggage / image that Lincoln had to shed.

And it tops out at 100k so there will be a spectrum of trim levels probably from 75k upwards.

The founders model will probably be $110k

Is that LED running the entire width of that massive grille? And not at the top or bottom border but somewhere in between?

:nauseated_face:

At first I thought it was the sun hitting all that chrome

I like the idea of an SUV based on truck - as bad as it may seem it does provide a solid platform for whatever gets placed on the frame and in addition to the looks still makes it a good workhorse should you want to tow something.

Unfortunately itā€™s FCA. Just looking at that steering wheel straight out of Pacifica/200/300 Chrysler series makes me hear all the squeaks and rattle going in the interior the moment the warranty goes out.