Got paid $39.07/month to lease my Hyundai Elantra for 36 months

3 years ago, I got a good deal on a Hyundai Elantra 36/10 lease for $125/month +tax. My lease was ending so I got an online quote from Carvana.

The quote was for $15,403 which was far above my residual so Carvana gave me a check for $6,334.05. I even had a bunch of scratches on my front bumper and didn’t clean my car before they took it.

The total payments for the entire 36 month lease was $4,927.68 (tax included). The Carvana check was for $6,334.05. This meant I made a net profit $1,406.37 or I got paid $39.07/month to drive my car for 36 months.

$4,927.68 (Total Payments) - $6,334.05 (Carvana Check) =
-$1,406.37 :grinning:

ORIGINAL LEASE
2018 Hyundai Elantra SE
MSRP: $18835
Selling Price: $17,081
Monthly Payment: $ 125
Drive-Off Amount: $ 500
Months:36
Annual Mileage:10,000
MF: 0.00116
Residual: 46%
Incentives: $5,900 total
1. Lease Cash Rebate: $4,000
_ 2. Uber Rebate: $1,000.00_
_ 3. College Grad Rebate: $400.00_
_ 4. BoostUp Matching: $500.00_
Region: So-cal
Leasehackr Score: 12.9
Leasehackr Calculator Link:CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

28 Likes

That’s awesome :clap:t3:

Well done sir!

1 Like

Good job, crazy times.

So I guess when someone says “you have to pay me to drive that car” - it can actually happen.

12 Likes

Great deal. But then the dilemma that faces us all now is, what do you get now with all the historically mediocre deals right now?

1 Like

Get something you’ll be able to trade out of in 6-12 mo or whenever there are good deals again. I chose a Bolt for this purpose

1 Like

You’re right. There are slim pickings out there but some of the EV deals are still available. Picking one up with a leasehackr score of 19.6 this Monday.

3 Likes

What’s your next lease ? An elamtra at the original price you got 3 years ago is NON existent today.

I’m doing the same

I just negotiated a Bolt for $173/month, 36/10, zero drive off, and will be signing papers on Monday.

11 Likes

You should be able to swap out of that no problem when you find something you like better. I like my Bolt so far though, combined with my home PV it’s nice to be driving on sunshine.

I thought Carvana didn’t accept leased vehicles as trade ins?

They do, although they are picky about which banks they buy from.

And these are mostly pure sales, not trade-ins.

1 Like

Thanks for the details Max G

Almost everyone turning in a lease (given current car shortage)should have some equity in their lease especially if you have low miles. Carvana is a perfect place to check. I just checked my Nautilus and I’ve got $4k if I turn it in early.

Leashackr score Infinity!

1 Like

great going!

I was wondering just who on earth Carvana is actually going to sell a used, base spec Elantra to for what? $16-17k? but then it’s a low mileage, econobox with a fairly decent remaining warranty? so I guess there’ll be buyers. Especially in this market.

Nice! Now did you get a new car? I sold my old lease for a profit but got a meh deal on my new car.

Nice. Now is really a good time to sell used car.