Golf R Lease Opinions/Suggestions?

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster/hackr… so take it easy on me!

I’m two months away from my 2016 GTI SE lease ending, so I’m looking for something new. To me, the Golf R seemed like the next logical step. More performance, AWD, more tech, etc. But, from what I’ve seen/read, people seem to HATE Golf R deals. So here’s where I’m at…

Year/Make/Model: 2019 Golf R w/ DSG
MSRP: $42,824
Sale Price: $38,541.60 (10% - thinking I can get another 1-2%)
Monthly Payment: $498.73 ($543.62/mo inc tax)
Drive-Off Amount: $700 drive off (upfront fees + first months payment)
Upfront Charges: $151.97 DMV fees
Fees being rolled in: $144 PA Doc Fee, $675 VW Credit Acquisition (Should I pay these up front as well?)
Months: 39
Annual Mileage: 12k
MF: .00197 (killing me… being told VW does not push special rates on the R) (10 MSD’s would get me down to .00152… is that even worth it?)
Residual: 58% (60% at 36 months)
Incentives: N/A

So I’ll throw it out to you sharks… what are your thoughts? Is the Golf R worth pursuing? Should I being looking elsewhere? Any/all comments, concerns, feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don’t think it’ll get any better than this. Pretty strong on that car.

Do some math and consider buying on this model, seems the overall cost is quite similar based on past threads.

Good work.

:bat:

1 Like

This is the lowest I’ve ever seen a Golf R lease.

It doesn’t lease well.

Even though the warranty is longer on a 19 I would personally not go past 36 months, but do the math.

Did you double check this with Edmunds?

It’s not what I would spend $500/mo on but as Golf R leases go this looks better than most.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the numbers are spot on with edmunds. 36/12 is 60%/.00197. I’ll see if I can get them to budge on discount, pull it in to 36 months and go from there.

Considering comparable vehicles (performance, AWD, tech, etc.) what would you be looking at for $500 or less per month? S3 leases even worse than the R… Possibly a GREAT M340i deal? Suggestions?

3 Likes

You can get an S3 for $500.

2 Likes

Try looking at a S3 or m340i if you’re willing to pay your quoted numbers for an even more fun ride

I’d love to see an S3 lease for $500, but I haven’t found anything close. I’m not sure how you’d be able to turn a 48% RV and a .00095 MF into $500 per month on a $53,000+ car.

That’s because it doesn’t happen. Never seen an S3 lease at 500 effective.

You have the best discount offer I’ve ever seen in a Golf R, I’d be super surprised if they went deeper on discount.

Run the math numbers to see if it makes sense versus purchase or with the MSDs.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for your GTI? You’ve lasted this long without the “performance” (not to mention extra weight & reduced fuel economy) of AWD, why start now? As many have mentioned here, the Golf R doesn’t lease particularly well. You got a nice discount, but you can only do as well as the program allows. Insurance rates on a Golf R might be higher than a standard GTI. If this is the car you really WANT, then you might want to look into buying it.

As far as the S3 goes, you never know if you get the right Audi dealer at the right time, needing to sell extra units to make their year end number. Audi dealers don’t seem to covet their S3s as much as VW dealers do their Golf Rs. I’m not sure what region of the country you are in, but have you considered enlisting the services of a broker here on Leasehackr?

Allow me to clarify. That is with 2K drive off. So not $500 effective.

Multiple people say it’s the best deal they’ve seen on a Golf R.

Help me understand how that = hire a broker?

:bat:

1 Like

Current GTI payment, including tax, is $352/mo. The performance boost is something I’d love, but that’s more of a want then a need. It’s the AWD for rain/snow (I’m located in PA) that I’m specifically after. And being 27, a loaded interior/tech/upgraded stereo are essentials for me as well (which the R has standard).

As far as brokers, I wouldn’t be opposed, but I’m new around here, so I’m not 100% sure how it all works. Plus, anything I seem to find that are “great dealers” and/or “great brokers” are all BMW focused, since BMW seem to subsidize the hell out of their leases. Any contacts or suggestions you could throw my way?

I meant for a possible screaming deal on an S4, not the Golf R which he’s getting a great price on already.

I would definitely check out the M340i. @nextlevelautobrokers has been offering some in the high 400s.

Go drive the bmw, might make the decision easier

Your Golf R offer already appears to be pretty competitive. Shop around a little more, but I don’t think you need anymore help from brokers.

1 Like

I meant to see if a broker could help him with an S3, not the Golf R that he’s already got a nice deal on.

I believe he was referencing Audi brokers. Which I wouldn’t be opposed to.

As @joeblogs mentioned above, If you can qualify for Loyalty and either have an OL code or College grad you can literally get a 15k more expensive BMW m340i for less money. Takes some legwork, but if you’re on leasehackr you’re already either learning or winning.

It took me ~3weeks of chasing an m340i deal, but got mine at 436/mo with 0 down and just MSD. The car is a beast!

1 Like