Golf R Lease Opinions/Suggestions?

Ignore me. I’m silly this morning.

1 Like

How far/wide is it suggested to shop around? 100-150 miles is where I’ve been trying. I assume nationwide is too much?

With this deal in hand, do I use it as the initial negotiating point in order to not waste my own or the dealers time?

You have a solid offer already, but shop it to other dealers. Always go nationwide, but unless you find a dealer offering an additional 2k off or more, I don’t necessarily think it’s worth the hassle, plane ticket, or even shipping cost.

The heart wants what it wants. Few cars get as much enthusiast street cred as a Golf R. My head turns whenever I see one. We all know you could of had an S3 or a M340i, but you went R. And that’s pretty cool. You can shop it to other dealers, but it looks like a solid deal. Don’t be surprised if you have some equity at end of lease, as these hold value very well…

1 Like

I had a few extra thousand in positive equity at the end of my 2017 R lease. Keep in mind that they will move to the MK8 R in a couple of years so this is the last of the MK7 R. Don’t know what that means for sales prices or residual values but good to keep in mind.

There is positive equity in the Golf R lease because you’re paying too much for it during the lease.

If there’s enough positive equity, selling it before lease end might net you a few dollars back as the payoff should be well below the market value.

1 Like

I think your better off buying the car. Resale is strong but money factor is a killer. Even with a 72 mo loan, after 39 months you can get out of it and at 60 months you will have lots of equity. I just think in this situation it makes more sense to buy instead of lease

1 Like

I just leased a Traffic Purple R
MSRP $45,924
Discount $4,649
Sales Price $41,275
Residual $24,399
Multi-Care added @ $995
Plus Fees
48/10K
Payment $545
ZERO DRIVE OFF
First Payment Made by Dealer
Did I do okay?

You’re not going to get much love here for a 48 month lease and I personally wouldn’t be driving a golf R for $550 a month, but you’ve already signed, so it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

Just curious. Love the car. My insurance is only $35/mo. I will be able to write off around 75% for business. What do you think?
I know I could have gotten a 2 Series for around the same but the R fit my needs better. I figure I am around 50:50 to buy at end and I like the 6 year warranty.

2 series :white_check_mark: and also…
3 series :white_check_mark:
4 series :white_check_mark:
5 series :white_check_mark:

26k over 4 years opens up quite a few options. Hope you enjoy it and compared to a 2 series, outside of an m235, prefer what you got. But that’s not a deal to necessarily brag about.

At that price I would just buy the car, or get a CPO. They hold their value pretty decent as others have stated.

I am paying $560 a month 0 down for a 57k Jaguar btw. So I would never accept paying that amount for a upgraded GTI. I was driving a GTI before I bought that car and I also compared an S3 and that was going to be $800 a month.

Not trying to brag at all.
I just wondered what you guys think.
I’m super new to the forum.
I really wanted a 2019 R and considered a 2 Series but really hated the interior.
Didn’t like the 4 or 3.
I know Rs are generally tough to get at reasonable rates so just wondering how I did for what I got.
BTW my personal car is a G-wagon. Paid for.

I guess VW and Audi are happy with low volume in USA. If they priced cars here like they do in Canada their market share would skyrocket. I just don’t get why they don’t give a S about the US market.

Are you only able to write off 75% if it’s a lease? You may actually come out ahead on a purchase… Especially if you can shop for a rate under 3%?

1 Like

Not sure actually. Just won’t be 100.
I’ll talk with my accountant about it but I think I’m better off with a lease. If it were a truck, maybe a purchase. Just haven’t had to bother with tax planning much after losing a fortune in real estate ten years ago.

Yes I think you’re right as the vw pricing on leases and financing is poor. I can’t imagine I could get 3% though? I just refinanced my house and got 3.99%. I figure I overpaid on money around 1-2%. But I didn’t know how to go about doing a deal remotely without the dealer doing the whole thing.
I’m very pleased with the car though. It performs extremely well. Just a smidge under an M240i or 718 and dramatically cheaper in terms of payment and insurance. (Insurance is only $400/year compared to $2500/year for a 718)