GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Yeah, seriously. Looking back, I wish I had gotten 5 Bolts!

Whatcha getting into next?

Probably a Frontier, those deals are pretty hard to pass up on, one pay max MSD’s. Eye balling a loaded PRO4x, can’t lease Taco’s and Bolts for $300/mo combined. Like a truck if I only have one vehicle.

1 Like

If any Bolt and Bolt EUV owners are still following this thread: Can you share how living with the Bolt is for someone who is a high commuter? My work mileage allowance will cover the Bolt payment but I’m just unsure if it will be a PITA due to the slow charging. Mulling a new Bolt (maybe Bolt EUV) vs. Model 3, but of course the Model 3 is a bit more expensive.

Ive leased three of them and just purchased one. If you need to charge frequently out of house, Id personally recommend a Tesla due to their consistently reliable and fast charging network. If you have a house/area to charge at your residence and can get a level 2 then the Bolt is a no brainer. Cost of running them is pennies if you have an at home charger

1 Like

Slow charging is level 1 or level 2 for you?

I used to clock about 170 miles one way every 4 days and charged it at work. Never had any issues due to easy charger access.

2 Likes

Really depends on how many miles you’re driving a day and your charging options. I drove 60 miles a day with level 1 charging at work and level 2 at home. Commuted 4 days a week, I always plugged in at work because it was free and usually ended up charging it once or twice a week at home, I rarely charged it to 100%. The key with level 1 charging is to select 12amps vs 8amps, the Bolt will let you set one default location to charge at 12amps. 12amps gives you about 4 miles per hour while charging. Be aware that range goes down significantly in cold weather.

4 Likes

The “slow charging” reputation of the Bolt is actually a bit of misinformation. The onboard level 2 charging capabilities of the Bolt (11 kwh) are actually quite good. You can take full advantage of a 48 amp level 2 charging system, which is about as good as it currently gets for Level 2 charging. It’s level 3 charging where the Bolt is lacking, as it is capped at 55 kwh.

The question becomes: HOW do YOU plan to charge the car? If you’re using Level 2 there is no real disadvantage to charging the Bolt. If you are charging at work/home most of the time this is how you will most likely be doing it if you’re using a work provided or home installed charger. If you will primarily be using Level 3 (or Tesla Supercharger) stations then there are alternatives that will definitely get you charged up faster, provided that A) The high power chargers are available in your area and not being used by someone else and B) You’re willing to pay the price to use them.

Tesla has been at this for a while and they appear to have the fast charging down with little to no impact on battery health but I would personally be cautious with some of the other manufacturers that promise insane charging speeds. Hyundai/Kia seem to promise the world when it comes to really fast charging times but they also seem to have no problem selling people ICE cars with engines that are rolling time bombs. Nobody knows how those cars/batteries will hold up in long term, real world conditions where they are being charged like that frequently.

In short, you’re not missing out on anything charging related when it comes to using the most widely available charging methods at the moment. You’re also not missing out on anything in the future at home/work barring a total overhaul of your home/work electrical system that’s probably not coming anytime soon. You’re only missing out of you plan to do frequent 200+ mile trips and if that’s the case you’re probably just better off getting an ICE car vs any of the current EV options.

1 Like

Chirag, Let me know how it goes. Mine was rejected via BBB AUTO LINE. Maybe I should get a lemon lawyer. Which law firm did you use. Thanks

1 Like

I was in same situation . Person who did SOC ( mean Car Dealer Sales Guy) should update lease papers . Mine was updated by him and then i paid all AMT .

As of Saturday I’m now waiting for a battery replacement for my replacement 22 EUV. 12,500 miles :roll_eyes:. Malibu loaner life…

No way. So you’ve had two batteries crap out now? Sheesh. Hope my 23 EUV battery doesn’t share the same fate.

1 Like

Had a 20, swapped to 22 EUV, battery now being replaced on the 22.

I received my 2023 EUV SOC from my 2022 Bolt a few weeks ago. 14 months left on the lease and I’ll probably purchase at the end since it’s perfect for my needs.

My 2020 Bolt Premier lease ends this September. Already received the new battery. With this news, it might be wise to hold on to it.

1 Like

End of an era. I’d love to know how much $ GM lost on the Bolt from 2020-2023.

I also got 2023 Bolt EUV as SOC from 2021 Bolt EV.
Checking over here: EV Tax Credit | Virtual Showroom | EV Live, it shows my 2023 EUV is eligible for tax credit. If I buy over my lease, do I get that credit? I believe when we did one pay lease, GM already cashed that deal, right? So we won’t get that credit I suppose.

1 Like

Has been discussed many times if you search. Not eligible for the tax credit for new vehicles, not old enough for the credit for used, and if it were it needs to be sold to you by the dealer — you’d have to ground the lease and repurchase, at which point the dealer could charge you whatever they want.

So in the end managed to realize $12k from the flip out of the Bolt to Silverado using SOC a month before lease was up. Bought out the Silverado and sold,

Driving this now:

If anyone is interested in how the process (now nearing completion / payout) worked for CA lemon law claim for our bolt, feel free to DM me.

1 Like

My father has a 2022 Bolt that he lemoned last month. The attorney was incredible. Originally got an offer to buy out the lease and return car; we didn’t want to do that since the car market was so expensive so he pushed back and my father got $20K+ and they allowed him to keep the car until the end of the lease!

Contact me in private if you want attorney’s info. This was in SoCal btw.

3 Likes