GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

As an update since my post. My ev coordinator called and said my VIN has opened now for a battery replacement while my case is still pending approval.

I informed her I would prefer to see the case approval through before making any commitments.

My hesitation is its a delay in the SOC and the battery replacement would be many months down the road.

Any advice from the pros on how to proceed?

Thanks

If you just barely started the SOC process and your vehicle is top of the list for battery replacement, I have a hard time imagining theyā€™ll forego the replacement in lieu of swappingā€¦

1 Like

Same scenario here. Reached out to a Lemon Law Attorney recommended on another post by @mllcb42.

1 Like

Yea I will get an update on Wednesday of next week. Iā€™ll keep pushing the SOC route though.

Weā€™re in the midst of a lemon lawsuit as well after the swap process was taking months. Our 2020 Bolt still isnā€™t ready for battery repair. At this point the idea that GM was able to provide ā€œtimely repairā€ is laughable, and weā€™re hoping (though not expecting) at least 5 figure settlement amount on top of being paid back lease payments.

What state are you in? I was trying to do a SOC for our 2020 but the ā€œbattery is availableā€ message came and now we have to wait for the battery as the solution. Iā€™m in CA, Orange County.

Please keep us informed on how your settlement goes.

California. You would probably benefit from consulting an attorney, regardless of what you choose to proceed with.

Iā€™m in California as well.I did consult with an Attorney and they said the battery has to be replaced first before they can do anything. Then they would get your lease payments back (if it was a lease) and they would give you a settlement probably less than $20,000 I was advised, and you have to give the car back. Sometimes SOC is better with a lease in my opinion. And faster too!

In California - used lemon law attorney after soc process was a headache and going nowhere. Battery did not have to replaced first for me. Start to finish took about 5 months. I had a one pay lease and got my money back plus a good amount. Yes - you do have to turn car in once settled. At least for me I wasnā€™t charged any return dispo fee and not penalized for early lease return but thatā€™s something you should check on with your attorney.

If I wanted to keep with Chevy brand and get a great deal on a new bolt I would say soc is the way to go.

Lemon law way is a good fast way to cash out and move on to other things.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Are you saying since your post on December 10th, things have changed that magically your VIN has opened up and they are pulling back your repurchase?

Iā€™m interested to see what they will say to me. Iā€™m assuming more delays and might have to push the Lemon law angle.

Yup, a few days after I started the repurchase process, my rep called and said, ā€œI have good news, or bad news, depending on how you see itā€¦ā€ Of course, no one knows about timelines or true availability so we will see. She hinted I can request to keep pursuing the repurchase but it is at their discretion.

A couple of weeks after I started my SOC process and placed an oder for a new Bolt EUV, got the call from the rep handling my case stating that the battery is available for my vehicle and sheā€™ll contact the dealership of my choice and schedule it. Fast forward 10 days and my battery has been replaced now.
So hereā€™s the scenario: What kind of compensation (monetary or otherwise) can I expect from GM for driving around this leased vehicle for more than an year only charging to 80% and with reduced range? Has anyone else been in this situation? Did you contact any lemon law attorneys?

PS: I asked the rep for compensation and she said she can reimburse 3 months of lease payments. Anything more, sheā€™ll have to contact higher management. I said please do and let me know.

My vehicle details: Bolt EV Premier
State: CA
Leased: March 2020
Lease Expiry: March 6, 2023

Sorry to hear about those of you who are struggling w/ SOC/repurchase.
I got my SOC EUV a few weeks back and Ramon from Stevens Creek Chevy(nor cal)made it super easy.

My 1st impression of the vehicle after several weeksā€¦all in all wonderful daily car, slightly less range than the 2020 Bolt LT, more comfortable, refined interior and driving experience. Super Cruise is something that I didnā€™t expect to be so wonderful. There is a bit of a learning curve when and it works wonders when driving up to the city. Would have to debate in 3 years whether I want to pay $250/yr or not.

My lease is expiring in a month so I am buying out the lease at a little over 20k which is a great deal, regardless of the missing federal EV incentives. I was able to lock in 5.64% over 6 years for financing which is high due to obvious reasons but still reasonable.

Hope those who are still in queue for still get them EUVs. Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Case was created last week for mine. How do they reach us. Call or email? How long does it take. Thank you

Yes. SOC takes a few months so youā€™re probably too late. Youā€™ll likely get a battery swap approved first.

Started my SOC late August, they did say the replacement battery would be ready in 6-8 weeks but went ahead anyway. Just took delivery of my Silverado last week, and no indications replacement batteries were coming. Will be buying it out end of January when my lease is up.

I know i am very late to the party, fk my life :frowning:

I live in new jersey and i reached out to concierge team to request for SOC swap today. She said she is not aware of that but she can reach out to dealer for replacement of car and will get back to me in 5 days. Not sure if replacement is SOC swap. Can some one please guide me on how to deal with this and what best i can get?

I also asked if i can get compensation for this trouble she said only if i can car on rental that can be reimbursed no one time compensation.

Also she said my request will be most likely rejected for replacement and my vin will be prioritized for battery replacememt.

Please share email for ur rep my rep says no compensation only they can provide $46 if i rent a car.

I have created case on monday and seems i am approved to get any car other than ev too.

Question is whether it is possible to find other cars? I mean whether dealer will be ready to do it?