GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

What state? When did you start your process?

I’m in CA. Late to the party and started the process 3 weeks ago. Just getting my order in now. I have a 2020 Bolt Premier on a one pay lease that started Mar 2021.

Excellent. We’re in FL and been having trouble getting GM to agree to do a SoC. They’re insisting only a ‘straight repurchase’ is available…which is ridiculous.

After you do the swap, your paperwork will get updated with the new VIN. Might take a month or two. Then just call GM Financial and buy out the lease.

I still have no idea where my car is. I’ve been given multiple ETAs and nothing has shown up. Dealer just says it is listed as “delayed”. It’s really been frustrating waiting for this to show up. It seems really unnecessary for a car to take over three months to get to Jersey from Ohio after being built. I’ve seen plenty of other EUVs in transit and arriving to NJ dealers so I’m not quite sure what the holdup is.

This is plain crazy, do you have the VIN to at least confirm the included options? You had mentioned your offer being issued way earlier, hopefully the car’s MSRP matches it.

How do you confirm the options from a VIN?

I have the VIN, strangely it shows up on CarGurus and appeared briefly on dealers website via a google search a few weeks ago. All the ordered options appear to be listed and the price matches up. Yet the dealer and the repurchase rep both seem to have no idea why it is “delayed”.

By looking at the window sticker

The fact that your orders have gotten messed up or delayed is getting me a little anxious for mine. I swapped into a ZL1 1LE. The car got built two weeks ago and now just waiting for it to be transported to NorCal from Lansing. I’ve asked my dealer for an ETA but they weren’t able to give me one.

I did not SOC into a Bolt

I am in the same boat. Initiated the process just a week ago. 2020 Bolt Premier lease started March 2021 and will end first week of March 2023. I am in Nor Cal.

2 Likes

I got a response like this when I reached to Ev Concieerge.
Thank you for reaching out to the EV Concierge. I have sent your trade repurchase request to our repurchase team to review. At this time they are unable to move forward with hosting a trade repurchase. However, the repurchase team has escalated this for you to get the recall open on this VIN: XXX. I will be following up with you providing you updates on the battery and looking into ordering the battery on your behalf once the remedy is open.

how can i proceed further to get my SOC done?

They’re stalling to avoid SOC because batteries are coming available - same thing happening with ours in FL.

I’m seeing more and more reports of this. I would perhaps reinforce that you’ve been dealing with a vehicle that has almost less than half the range due to the “safety” charging requirements, and after waiting 18 months for a battery, more waiting isn’t acceptable to you.

It seems that some are still getting the SoC option, so I wonder if GM is seeing how far you are in the battery line or if It’s based on the lemon laws of your state.

1 Like

My uneducated theory is it’s more related different state’s lemon laws… CA SOCs seem to still be progressing even if started now, but other states seem to have more trouble. :man_shrugging:

My host dealer got the car last month and GM is now gating.
The lack of coordination from GM and the dealer…this is a company-wide recall and should be coordinated so that consumers are least impacted? Just a thought…

Dealer wants the car off the lot so I will be taking delivery as soon as the paperwork is completed.

Hi - I am going to my dealership (Cerritos Penske) to complete the SOC later today but had a couple of questions.

#1 In 2020, I received the $1000 and no charger but am reading that there is a $500 Credit for the CVAP. Is this something I must ask my dealer to do, or can I somehow apply and get it myself?

#2 Regarding my HOV lane stickers, must I restart the process by registering the “new car” at the DMV?

Thanks for reading, and appreciate any help and assistance.

I finally got around to calling GM Concierge yesterday, and they called me back within a few hours and I opened two cases for my two Bolts (2020 Premier and 2022).

I am in SoCal and made sure to use the terminology presented in this thread. They kept saying “repurchase,” and I said I wanted to do the “substitution of collateral.”

She did not say they were the same or different, so I asked if it would be a “VIN swap”, where my monthly payments remain the same until the lease maturity date next year, and my residual transfers to the new car?

She said yes.

I’m waiting for the emailed paperwork but the letter I received for my 2022 only indicated “replacement” or “repurchase.”

Does the word “substitution of collateral” have to appear for it to be a SOC? Or is that later after the case is moved along?
Anything else I should have asked?

Your questions are echoed in the history of this thread.
You can start here and read down. I think it should answer most of your questions: GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue - #1316 by FlyingMachine

2 Likes