GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Still not updated for me lol. Swap completed in Aug

I finally got a host dealer and am going to try to place an order for my SoC of a 2020 Bolt Premier lease today. Gross cost on the 2020 was about $40k, so I’m planning to go for a loaded 2023 EUV to get as close as possible in MSRP. I’m a little worried they’re going to try to charge me for usage, though, as there seem to be mixed experiences lately with some California lease SoCs getting charged and some not. I never got a straight answer from my rep, either. I guess I just need to place the order and wait until I get the final offer from the repurchase department to see if I’m charged. If I am, try to fight it then, right?

For CA - there is no deduction usage on leases.

1 Like

They won’t charge you usage.

Make sure to select EVERY option on the online configurator to bump your MSRP as high as possible. I asked the dealership to do it since 2023s couldn’t yet be customized on Chevy’s site, and of course they left off a couple of small things. Annoying.

2 Likes

I didn’t bother with the accessories, but took checked EVERY SINGLE BOX. Super Cruise is pretty nice. Not sure if I would have actually paid for it, but since we’re checking all the boxes anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

How long did it take to get the check from GM on a SOC msrp difference for everyone?

About 3 weeks. Some here said it was delivered directly to their home via FedEx. Mine was paid out by the dealer. They didn’t want to float the cash while they waited for GM, so they called me about 3 weeks later to say that my check was ready.

What would you have added to the EUV Premier besides Super Cruise, Sun and Sound package, and floor mats (which are the 3 I did)?

Cargo net lol

Some combination/all of these :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, to max it out you add all of those except the Interior Protection Package (which is covered by the Winter/Summer Floor Mats + Cargo Convenience).

I added the Interior Protection Package and cargo net (a la carte via the dealer when I placed the order).

The cargo mat is pretty useless IMO. The cargo floor is pretty high and small, with some extra room underneath the false floor on top of which the cargo mat sits. Adding a thick rubber mat on top of the false floor which I want to lift up occasionally (to access the storage space under it) doesn’t make sense to me.

Hi all so I took advantage of the CVAP ($5,000.00) and CVRP ($4,500.00) back in March 2021 and picked up a 2021 Chevy Bolt EV from Ethan with 36 month 10k miles. I did the one pay option of $7,600.00 which left me with positive $1,900.00 after I got my rebate. I also got $1,000.00 free credit from EvGo and a free level 2 fast charger with GRID (about $500.00 retail value).

Roughly my residual on the 2021 Bolt is ~21k

Fast forward a year I get mail from GM about the Bolt recalls. I took advantage of this and worked with GM repurchase department to make an order for a 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier Edition. I also included the Redline Package, Sun and Sound Package, and Supercruise Package. This came out to roughly ~39k MSRP.

Doing this I was able to keep my same residual and my $0/mo payment until my maturity date of March 2024.

Fast forward to 11/08/2022 I finally picked up my 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier. I will save you all the boring details but essentially I had to find a dealer who was willing to do this repurchase. Luckily my local dealer was willing to do it because I have bought over 4 cars from them in the past 4 years.

My purpose of this post is not to just brag about getting PAID to drive a car for 3 years but more so to get advice on what to do now.

Option 1 - Drive the car until my maturity date and pay $0/mo and return the vehicle
Option 2 - Sell to a 3rd party and cash out my positive equity (anywhere from 12-20k ((depending on who I work with (((Please give me some referrals)))
Option 3 - Anything else you all may suggest?

I know that I could have also purchased any GM vehicle (such as a Tahoe) but no dealer was willing to sell me a Tahoe at sticker. If I went with this option I just had to pay the difference between my MSRP and the MSRP of the new car. Here is a post of someone on Leasehakr who did this successfully. Cheapest Bolt/Tahoe on LeaseHackr?

Looking forward to hearing all your responses and coming up with a solution together. My end goal was to essentially take the equity I make and put it towards a Tesla Model 3. Please give me some other solutions. I LOVE electric vehicles since I had my electrician install a fast charger for me. I would also love a truck.

Less than 30 months? You might have to repay that to CA

If this is your end goal, you should probably sell now to capture equity. Used (granted yours is practically brand new) car prices are trending down. Also, if you are still under lease you will only be able to sell to a GM dealership if you are under GM Financial. If you want to sell to anyone else, you will have to buy out the car first (and pay sales tax). You don’t seem like the kind of person that holds onto their cars and the Bolt uses “old” EV tech so it’s value will likely not hold. Unless gas prices go to like $8/gal, but you can never know…

Can you explain what you mean by this?

So there are third party dealers like The Car Trackers or Auto Nation who are still able to buy out GM leases. I would like to know if there are any other companies that do this so I can compare quotes.

He means mr gov may require some of that sweet money back, both of them.

2 Likes
  • The CA government says you must own the car for 30 months. And they can easily check DMV records.
  • Any big company like AutoNation, there is no master list. Sometimes those big groups hate the extra paperwork and won’t do it no matter what. You have to talk to the used car manager.

Well there was a recall on the car that I used the rebate for so that wasn’t my fault. Not too sure how much they will look into this. If that is the case maybe its better for me to just keep the car until my 30 month mark.

Thanks for the heads up