GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Some experiences with Bolt Buybacks - can’t find any info on state incentives though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/wiki/recall

1 Like

Animated GIF

2 Likes

YES - I will be first in line for a buyback with a new battery pack!

1 Like

Thanks for the details. When you say escalated, you asked for a buy back? I did too and got a case number and saying someone would call me to discuss options. Did you get a similar response?

I was also told I could rent a car with max $46/day myself if dealer won’t give me a loaner.

I’d also rather not have the car in my driveway so asking if they can store the car.

You can always just leave the bolts on charge - eventually they will total themselves and you won’t have to payback NJ. Make sure to use a long extension cord …

5 Likes

Be sure to get it in fire engine red since you will need to carry fire fighting equipment at all times …

2 Likes

I did not explicitly ask for a buyback yet. I said that I would like to escalate the case and review my options, including buyback. I’d like to see what they offer me at least. NJ Lemon law might be an option if that’s unsatisfactory and they can’t get this fixed in a timely fashion.

Thanks. Keep us posted. The rep past night said something about getting back to me in 7 business days so will likely chat them once a day for updates.

I’ll see what they say. I have two so I don’t know if that will complicate things or not. I also need to see whether a buyback would qualify me for a Charge Up exemption or not. If I have to pay back the rebate money it could make things more complicated.

Only one 2020 has burned up so far, I’m just going to leave my outside, if it catches on fire, oh well. Once the batteries are replaced on the older ones, those things will be a great used buy

4 Likes

I’ve read through a lot of Reddit posts and still not clear how a buyback on a one pay lease would work. I just want to know the formula. I’m in California.

1 Like

From a reddit thread, post 4 days old…
https://i.imgur.com/eyxGGOZ.jpg

Likewise, I am looking for information on one pay lease return as well. In case you didn’t know/think about the CVRP claw back info: The CVRP doesn’t say anything about lemons or totaled vehicles, nor does it mention anything about recalls. The current T&C that applies is written below (bolding is my emphasis).

D. Vehicle Ownership Provision

With the exception of vehicles purchased or leased under the special provisions in
Section II.e(G.), vehicle purchasers and lessees participating in CVRP are required
to keep the vehicle and meet all applicable project requirements for a minimum 30-
month period after the vehicle purchase or lease date.

If a manufacturer defect or other unforeseen circumstances require the replacement
of a CVRP rebated vehicle with another vehicle of the same technology type
(FCEV, BEV, PHEV, etc.) or upgrade (e.g., replace PHEV with BEV), the
Administrator, in conjunction with CARB, has discretion to allow updated information
to be provided with no return of CVRP rebate funds. To be considered, the
replacement vehicle must be on the current list of eligible vehicles at the time the
replacement is made or be the exact same vehicle that was originally rebated.
Lease transfers or lease assumptions are not allowed.

Resale of a vehicle or return of a leased vehicle to a dealer may be allowed within
this 30-month period if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances.
To employ this provision, contact the Administrator to initiate this process. If the
vehicle is resold or returned, the vehicle purchaser or lessee must refund promptly
to the Administrator a prorated portion of their rebate, in an amount equivalent to
the original rebate amount divided by 30 months and then multiplied by the number
of months remaining in the original 30-month period (rounded to the nearest month):

(Original Rebate Amount ÷ 30 Months) x (30 – months since vehicle purchase
or lease date)

The Administrator will follow specific procedures when managing vehicles that
received a rebate at the time of original purchase or lease and have since been sold
or returned to the dealer prior to the 30-month ownership commitment (see
Attachment A).

Purchasers or lessees who must resell a vehicle or return a leased vehicle to a
dealer due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances such as military relocation
outside of California, or a totaled vehicle, may be exempt from returning the
prorated rebate amount. Exemptions may be approved by CARB on a case-by-case
basis.

Source: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/sites/default/files/docs/nav/transportation/cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

TL:DR: Looks like a buy back would end up having a prorated a portion of the CVRP clawed back within the 30 month requirement, unless you trade it for another vehicle that is on the list that is eligible for a CVRP (at the program administrators discretion). Also at their discretion, they may allow you to return the vehicle due to unforeseen circumstances, but it does not mention if this event removes your liability to return a portion of the fund rebate.

1 Like

Man, your $99/month Bolt prediction never came true, so where’s the $49/month coming from? Lol

1 Like

If you account for one pay leases in states with good EV incentives it absolutely came true!

2 Likes

Did GM ever have to advertise $99 a month lease on BOLTS? No.

Did people doing a 1 pay lease in NJ with 5k charge up rebate and costco get their bolts for free or less than $100 a month? Yes…

Did some people buy their 2017 Bolts at MSRP and special order them while tracking their movement on the train from factory to CA dealer and then from CA dealer to their East Coast location and proclaim that Tesla was dead while GM would sell every single BOLT at MSRP and up to 100-200k copies a year? You know who you are …

Are people watching how this spells the death knell for Mary Barra and Electric pickup and Hummer at GM - you betcha…

1 Like

The first foray of GM in EV cars ended up in all cars being bought back & getting crushed … Not looking too promising for this second attempt either

GM is lucky here since they have been able to position LG as their sacrificial lamb. They are going to have a lot of work to do in proving that the Ultium platform is better and safer.

3 Likes

A “friend” got a 39k 2019 BOLT LT for 27 k including masshole tax. Got the 3750 Trump bux and 1500 MA State EV rebate. Made 4 payments of 500 on the loan and then sold to VroomVana for 25k. And paid around 100 in MA excise (prorated). I think that comes to less than 99 a month, right?

So you are saying there’s a chance?

2 Likes