GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Can’t imagine they’ll have enough replacements to do this any time soon. Is there any transfer limitations on a car with an open safety recall? Lol, was hoping to get out of my COVID car once things got back to normal… though that’s also not looking likely any time soon.

Eek! More info here: General Motors to Recall Additional Bolt EVs

Until customers in the new recall population receive replacement modules, they should:

1. Set their vehicle to a 90 percent state of charge limitation using Target Charge Level mode. Instructions on how to do this are available on chevy.com/boltevrecall. If customers are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, GM is asking them to visit their dealer to have these adjustments completed.

2. Charge their vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.

3. Park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and should not leave their vehicles charging indoors overnight.

Having to charge outdoors is going to be an issue for a lot of folks.

6 Likes

All Bolts including current 2022 EUV are all under recall and can’t be sold - what a bummer!
[Chevrolet Bolt EVs to newer models of the electric car due to potential fire risk.](https://Chevrolet Bolt EVs to newer models of the electric car due to potential fire risk.)

I just contacted the Bolt concierge. I’m going to look at having my lease terminated. I did put 0 down. So I’m hoping it can just be a wash and I just hand over the keys.

The question now is what the hell else do I get that is this good for under $250/mo :smiley:

3 Likes

Right now? Absolutely nothing.

I’d keep it for now and see what GM is offering as compensation. As scary as the incident reports are, they are still exceedingly rare. There is nothing in this range comparable right now…

Our 2020 Bolt is an extra car. My wife, generally a non-car enthusiast, loves it. I mentioned that we may be able to get out of the lease because of this - she said no way. Keep it as long as we can live with the inconveniences. Great car. Shame about the recall. I’ll settle for the Zora (or see about the Silverado EV now that it has been announced), but will see how GM handles things.

Compensation is them sandbagging until they can find a fix. Right now none of the packs in production have met requirements as they are all apart of the recall.

I live in a house where my garage is attached to the house and we sleep above it. If it’s a risk I can avoid I might as well.

It will suck to have a higher payment, but would suck infinitely more to have a house fire.

1 Like

Has there been any detail indication on cause for the recall to extend? Was under the impression the later LG packs didn’t have the same cells as the older ones. I wonder if the real reason is pressure from NHTSA…has there been a sudden increase in later model fires reported?

edit: from the GM link above (NYTimes was paywalled for me)

“the batteries supplied to GM for these vehicles may have two manufacturing defects – a torn anode tab and folded separator – present in the same battery cell, which increases the risk of fire. Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules, with an expected additional cost of approximately $1 billion.”

“After further investigation into the manufacturing processes at LG and disassembling battery packs, GM discovered manufacturing defects in certain battery cells produced at LG manufacturing facilities beyond the Ochang, Korea, plant. GM and LG are working to rectify the cause of these defects. In the meantime, GM is pursuing commitments from LG for reimbursement of this field action.”

So far there is only 1 report of a 2020+ model catching fire that I have seen. GM has more information than any of us and they were quick to pull the trigger with extending the range of model years affected. Definitely has me more worried.

1 Like

But also has me more relieved…if this was Tesla, it’d take several more deaths before anything gets ‘voluntarily recalled’.

4 Likes

It’s in at least one of news articles, the immolating batteries seem to have 2 defects (the previously discussed one and also a crimp near one of the connectors). And it was originally just the LG plant in Korea but has expanded to all of them.

I have no doubt they will get it sorted, but I understand why people are concerned.

1 Like

Trish had posted on her tread some useful info on why the newer versions 2020 and up were also included in the recall. Looks like they are just being super cautious with this…

On a side note, i recently replaced my eGolf with a nice gray EUV…nicknamed Silent Killer.

1 Like

The EV community has been tracking the fires. I found this interesting:

Interesting. I couldn’t find a similar one for Tesla fires??

From the most recent incident:

When I called GM after this, they literally told me they wouldn’t do anything for me at all unless “I sued them.” I couldn’t have imagined being treated worse on my first new car purchase, Chevy corporate and the dealership treated me like garbage. For the rest of my life, I will NEVER buy a Chevy.

Color me surprised /s

OIP

1 Like

That article is a month old…and we just got the stop sale and major recall last week. I haven’t been keeping track of the Bolt fires but i must say in this case GM sat on their hands for too long. There was clear pattern here. The only one that stands out is one of the latest models and seems to be unrelated…can’t tell what the model year is here…

July 25, 2021 – Glen Ellyn, IL VIN 1G1FY7S07K4******

• While driving, car began to rapidly slow down (…burned down)
  • This vehicle had an American battery, and thus was not subject to the recalls

Edit: looks like a 2019 model

My question is the following. Is GM going to have a fire sale on the 2022 bolts once they complete the recall and / or buybacks??

Let’s say msrp is 35k and residual 14k for a fire engine red color. Throw in GM incentives of 12k, dealer discounts of 5k and costco 3k. I think this could move those bolts without anybody getting burned by negative equity.

Looking at you $49 a month bolt lease. Paging @bro1999 for his opinion. I am just fired up thinking about this potential deal.

Please don’t flame this post I am just sharing my humble opinion on this hot little number.

11 Likes

I get how a Buy Back works if you purchased it. How does it work for a lease? Just terminate and lose upfronts - acquisition, etc. ?

I contacted the EV concierge and escalated cases for my two Bolts so I can get out in front of this in case it gets worse or they drag their feet on the recall. The way it was explained to me by the concierge is that some sort of trade assist could be offered, which I suppose would be same as cash to put down at a dealer for a purchase or lease. I’m not sure what I want to do about it or what my options will be but I wouldn’t be totally opposed to this option, if offered. I don’t need three cars so this could be a quick and easy way to downsize the fleet. My only concern is what happens to the state rebate money from NJ that I received. I know that if the cars were totaled I would not be responsible for paying the money back. I’m not certain what happens in the event of a lemon claim/recall/buyback situation. I’m waiting to hear from the administrators of the program about that.

5 Likes