GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Any insight into the CVAP issue / non issue if you go with non EUV?

$7500-ish on Tesla, itā€™s never going to be built with Union Labor. And the EV tax credit is currently getting horse-traded into something other than the two proposed plans. David Robertā€™s Volts Newsletter/Podcast so far has the best analysis Iā€™ve found during these long C-SPAN days.

2 Likes

Tesla (additional vehicle) adds $1500/year to my insurance

Try Tesla Insurance. I know there are lots of factors can affect car insurance cost, but weā€™re in CA, clean record and Tesla Insurance is the cheapest one ($116/month for M3 SR+) v.s others ($2xx/month)

Are there any reviews dealing with Tesla insurance in case of an actual event where you need insurance?

So, called EV concierge, got a case assigned, got a call back fairly quickly, I wanted to swap the car for another rather than full buy back. GMā€™s repurchase department called the dealership I got the car from. They said they can swap for ICE car that they have in the inventory. I want an electric car, but ohh well I will be fine with ICE for the time being I guess. Then sell/trade down the line and get an electric after a year (next year, there is amazing and exciting electric cars coming like Ioniq 5,Nissan Ariya, Kia EV6 or my fav Audi Q4 etron, all under $45K in base trims. Under 45K since 5k rebate from NJ is only under 45K, 45k-55k is only 2000$.)
My car had 44k+ MSRP, if GM does MSRP swap, 44K puts a lot cars in that range, like CT5, XT4, even Camaro. Only problem is inventory. I went to dealership yesterday, they mostly have Buick Envision. I drove Envision, it was not bad (Shares a lot of underpinnings with XT4). So I will be fine getting middle or top trim envision. I really wanted to see if I could get Cadillac CT5 since it can be under 44K but there is no inventory. There is few out of state, but I am not sure if they will do a swap. I may give them a call after I find out how this entire process work.
Dealer has not done any swaps yet, so they are going to call GM buyback guys and figure out what to do. So I am waiting for call back.
I will update once the dealer or GM buyback people get back to me.

3 Likes

If you are having trouble finding a car thatā€™s $44k (ask the repurchase rep, not the dealer) ask if GM is willing to waive you going a little over MSRP and reason you couldnā€™t find a car within your MSRP range due to inventory shortages. Iā€™ve heard someone doing a swap picked a car $7k over their Bolt MSRP and GM was willing to waive the overage. Canā€™t hurt to ask anyways.

2 Likes

That is actually a really good idea. Given the shortage, most dealers only have cars that are available in higher trim levels. I think I will get a call back from GM rep on Monday, I will ask her if I can do that. Thank you.

Be ready with a specific VIN to give them though.

Has anyone here been successful on a buyback with a lease? MSRP swap or just terminating the lease? Love my 2022 EV leased just before the recall. Iā€™d accept a swap on a factory ordered Bolt where I have confidence that the new quality control measures were used in production. Of course would want the same lease terms but that might get complicated.

Currently there are no swaps available to another Bolt since they are all under a stop sale order and recall. If you want a swap itā€™s going to have to be into an ICE vehicle.

Has anyone been successfully reimbursed for a rental car plus gas? Have there been any issues? How long does it generally take to be reimbursed?

Iā€™m scared to rent since Iā€™m going to Be carrying the cost until I get reimbursed.

1 Like

Same, not taking the risk of a couple grand rental bill being paid by unresponsive GM.

1 Like

Have you gotten a callback yet or are you still waiting?

As it stands now, I received a call from a regional manager a few weeks ago who gave me a new case number for my Premier. He told me that it was being sent to a third party to process the buyback. He wasnā€™t assigned to my LT but he was able to tell me that it was at a similar place in the process. I havenā€™t heard much since.

1 Like

Is this the black one or the oasis one? Forgive me but Iā€™m out of touch re gm recall.

Have you heard anything from Charge Up about exemption?

The Black one is my Premier and the Blue one is an LT. Normally Iā€™d be champing at the bit to get this done but itā€™s not exactly a great time right now. So if they want to drag their feet until inventory improves a little I donā€™t necessarily mind.

Not since my last contact with them where they said an announcement was ā€œforthcomingā€ā€¦

2 Likes

I heard back from the rep handling my LT today and I was given the new 6 digit case number for that one too. I was informed that it is in the ā€œAudit stageā€, which is followed by a repurchase agent reaching out to discuss options. Weā€™ll see what happens next.

2 Likes

The whole process is being run by Vogons.

1 Like

Not a ton of new information, but at least itā€™s recent communication from GM. Looks like GM is trying to avoid buybacks as expected. 17-19s get the full battery replaced. 20-22s will only have defective modules replaced. How they determine they are defective is not covered in the article, though it based on other articles I believe they are using updated software to identify packs which are near failure.