GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Still haven’t been able to find anything on the internet how this would work with leases. I imagine you would have to convert into a purchase option and basically finance MSRP less sum of all lease payments.

The rep mentioned a “VIN swap” which I presume would keep the same lease terms/contract with a different vehicle.

1 Like

Did they offer the buyback immediately upon calling? My understanding of CA lemon law is that the vehicle has to be taken in for service at least twice to remedy the safety-related defect before a buyback is required statutorily.

This is the wording I received here in CA:

"Attached is Chevrolet’s offer to repurchase/replace your vehicle per CA Lemon Law. Please review the offer and consider how you would like to proceed. "

Chevy is proceeding down the lemon law path even though I didn’t have to take the car to the dealer. Unfortunately there was no ‘offer’ attached in the email so still waiting on clarification.

2 Likes

Thanks! When did you lease your vehicle, and what year is it?

2021 leased in June

1 Like

2022 EUV. Leased three days before recall. Got offer on my first try but have not details.

Will keep everyone posted. It’s making this fall quite exciting!

1 Like

From what I understand GM handles all buyback cases based on the lemon laws in your state, regardless of whether you initiated a lemon law case yet or not. The offer you get is based off the formula they use for Lemons in your state. Usually MSRP minus incentives and usage.

1 Like

Lol they sent you an offer email with no offer? :joy:

A different department sends the offer with the details.

1 Like

Didn’t stop me accepting it in the email :grinning:. I just clarified exactly what I was expecting based on the phone conversation.

I have 2020 Bolt. I really like the car, from super low cost to drive to no maintenance in a year (My car has back door handle issue, never went to dealer after purchase, so its still there, but I dont have anyone in my car besides me, so not in a rush to get it fixed.) Plus one pay was a great option and I dont have to worry about payments every month. The car was leased on a very very good deal, less than $7000 for 3 years, of course minus $5000 form great (or shitty, depends on who you ask) state of NJ.
Now onto problem, I called Chevrolet Customer Assistance and they gave me a case number and asked for lease contract and pic of mileage. I would like to do MSRP swap for the 2022 bolt or even EUV as they have adaptive cruise control on both, it is a feature I miss a lot from my previous cars. Plus the seats are little better in the 2022 model compared to mine. Since Chevy is not building new cars, it seems like MSRP swap may be hard. I dont want to get rid of the contract I have as it was dirt cheap for me (well compared to my pervious lease). I did one pay, so I am not sure how that will play a role when it comes to buy back or even MSRP swap.
On top of that, during the snow I hit and broke the front bumper, the grill is half broken, and there is a crack in the middle of the bumper. I am wondering if I should get it fixed before the buyback or chevy will just charge me for that. Cost to fix the bumper from local repair shop was quoted $2000 for new bumper, may be I can go around and try to find someone cheaper in NJ (if you know someone at a repair shop in NJ or NY, please recommend). I can add pics of damage if someone can recommend something better.
So, really frustrated and confused as to what I should do next. Hopefully GM can start 2022 production again soon.

You’ll need to keep in mind, when you’re mulling your options, that you don’t want to trigger paying back the NJ state rebate.

Maybe ask for guidance from the NJ Chargeup folks that you always intended to lease for 3 years as per their rules but GM is taking the car back for a safety-related recall and giving you some sort of replacement EV.

Anyone know precisely what line in the lease contract GM uses for the purchase price when calculating the buy back? I.e. gross cap cost, adjusted cap cost?

If they can restart production, that means they have batteries they believe to be safe. In that case I suspect they’ll want to swap the batteries rather than give you a ‘22.

My guess is they don’t restart production soon since they’d rather fix batteries than deal with expensive buybacks. That’s if they are able to get batteries they are confident in, which I also doubt since we are so early into the new defect discovery.

1 Like

It varies by state but it’s usually based off of msrp minus incentives and there’s a charge for mileage. I haven’t heard anything back yet worth mentioning so I’m not sure what their offers will look like for me.

Copy, I’m in Cali and am at the start of the buyback process. I’ve submitted my contract, odometer pic, and registration. My advisor said everything was received successfully and am now waiting for a dealer to say they have space (that’s a funny one, there’s no cars on any lot) and then they will provide the numbers…

Keep us posted. I’m curious if CA lessees will get some money out of it in addition to recovering the unused portion of the lease (either months or miles).

I saw this on Reddit where someone did a buy back on their lease in CA: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/mq88e4/california_gm_lease_repurchase_complete_2019_bolt/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

You 100% need to get the damaged fixed. Personally I’m pushing for a MSRP/trade swap for another GM vehicle (acadia). They WILL NOT put you into a 2022 bolt/EUV as those are recalled.