GM recalling Bolts for potential battery issue

Lol they gotta make their $$ lol

I saw that initially and I just assumed that the video got taken down because the story mentioned that the owner of the car was planning on suing GM.

I agree with you both… @Vezhof

I am less concerned because I have a 2020, but still inconvenienced by setting the mileage to 90% and keeping it above 70 miles remaining. I was using the portable charger and got around just fine for the last few months, but now I have had to take the car to charge at a DC fast charge mid week to make sure we don’t go below 70 miles by the end of the week. I also cannot park outside as I do not have an outlet available. I will probably have to spend more money to run a 120v to the garage (which was quoted at $1000 with the charger) but even then, I would need to figure out a way to get the charger to go outside which is probably an added expense.

Has anyone ran their charger to outside the garage for access on their driveway? Any suggestions or tips are appreciated! (in SoCal)

Sure have, use a 12Gauge Extension cord to handle the 15Amp requirement.

Welcome to the Leasehackr Stepka!

My 2020 is zippy and fun to drive, but I am glad I leased it and don’t have to hold onto this junk. The only saving grace is that my payment is effectively $88/month which is really the only reason why I settled on the Bolt over the i3. I will hold onto this vehicle until leasing deals come back around and then find a way to offload it if a battery fix hasn’t already been issued. I wouldn’t ever buy a used electric vehicle for fear of how the previous owner abused their battery with poor charging habits and aggressive driving. With GM waiting until they are confident LG will build defect-free products, we may be waiting a long time, especially with the global chip shortage.

From the Mashable link above:
“We’re not going to start recall repairs or start building new Bolts until we’re confident LG will build defect-free products,” GM spokesperson Dan Flores told the Detroit Free-Press just days ago.

Are you running it under the garage door? If yes, how do you prevent creatures from coming in during the night?

I have a rollup door with a large bottom seal and the cord just molds around that.

I put 2 old croc shoe to create a gap to run the cable under. I have some traps in the garage for critters.

Thanks enkay. Sigh I’m still moving toward the reimbursement in CA.
The GM site still indicates ‘customers should continue to park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging indoors overnight.’ But the dealer told my husband it is ok to park the car inside since we had the ‘interim remedy’ (limiting charge to 90%) done there.
We also have a rollup door and had been allowing it to close over the cord; no critters have gotten in that way.

How have others experience been with the EV Concierge? I keep getting the run around - “No update on case” “Your advisor has been changed” “We will call you back within 24 hours.”

All of those things constantly being pushed and no real progress. I’m still pretty early in the process, but still curious if others are getting more actionable responses than I.

They asked for my paperwork for the msrp swap, we’ll see how quickly it moves. Where are you in the process?

I have provided them my lease contract and photo of odometer. I have a case number, but have progressed no further. I just keep getting the promise of a future call even when I dial into them.

1 Like

Finally received a call from my ‘advisor’ who basically told me my documents were accepted and that I would be receiving a call from ‘the field’ within 48 hours. She did caveat that 48 hours with it sometimes taking 10-15 business days, but she did communicate 2 options for my lease within the state of VA.

1. Keep the lease as is and wait for a fix while adhering to strict guidelines
  2. Terminate the contract with no penalties.

She said these were not 100% confirmed options, but seemed pretty confident. I’d be OK just having the contract voided and walking away. I wonder if I will still have to go through a wear & tear inspection…

1 Like

Got a lease on a bolt back in April, with this recall though, I have no safe place to charge it. Will they take it back? Other options if they do?

1. Call Chevy and ask them (I believe WA is a friendly states for Lemon Law)
  2. Call a Lemon Law Attorney and ask them (Free btw)

Chevy has offered me a buyback or replacement for my Bolt EUV which I leased last month.

Buyback is fairly straightforward, I think. I did a zero drive off lease so I assume they just void it???

However, with a replacement it is supposed to be a comparable model. Of course, GM doesn’t make any. Does that mean that GM has to replace it with a similar model from the competition? And how does a lease then work, as none of the 41k EVs are leasing close to $330 with zero drive off. At least not loaded like mine, which they have to match.

I spent half an hour googling this, but no one mentions whether it has to be the same car company.

Thanks!

No, of course not.

Comparable in MSRP is likely the intent. No idea how they’d work that out on a lease. You’d have to ask them.

1 Like

Your best bet to get into an EV is a MSRP-based replacement Chevy. Then try to lease swap it with money down required to capture some equity. Use that equity to offset the cost of the more expensive lease on a competitor EV.

2 Likes

Don’t believe you can swap into a leased car. Needs to be a straight purchase.