Getting out of a 2018 Volvo S90 Lease

Like many here, I leased a well equipped 2018 Volvo S90 when Costco offered there credit last year. I need a car with greater ride height (pending hip replacement surgery) and easier cargo storage. In short, I should have gotten the V90cc but there were no deals on it at the time.

Now there are pretty good incentives on the V90’s (including Costco money) but I’m not even halfway through my 24 month lease. Someone mentioned selling their S90 (through CarMax?) and making a small profit…obviously, lease transfers not allowed through Volvo Financial.

Car had an MSRP of $64,255 and buyout as of today is $45,603. Not sure if there are any NC taxes or fees on top of this for buying it. Any brokers (NY/NJ area) want to take this on? I’d be happy to source a replacement SUV/wagon through you (a V90cc, Audi SQ5, X3/M40i, etc) through you.

I’m currently in Northern NJ (purchased & registered in NC) and the nearest CarMax is in CT (about an hour away). There are 2 CarMax locations in South Jersey.

I’ve had both hips replaced. The 1st in '07, 2nd in '09.

Don’t wait. Get it done. I’m driving new S90 as of 2 weeks ago. It’s all good.

Good luck with sale.

1 Like

Thanks Bruce…I’ve tried PT, Acupuncture, anti-inflamatories and a guided Depo-Medrol shot in the hip. The shot worked great…for 10 days. Pain is back and getting in and out of the Volvo can be challenging at times. I think it’ll come to a point where getting in and out of ANY car will become difficult. Hope to get the surgery done this summer. Already met my surgeon but nothing can be done until 3 months after the injection.

I’m 28 and starting to experience some hip pain. How can I prevent this from escalating?

Volvo has pull ahead programs with 9 months remaining on the lease. So if you can hold out 4-6 months, that might be your best option. You can try Carmax, but I just purchased the S90 T6 inscription 69,400 MSRP. The day I bought it, i drove straight to Carmax to see if there was any chance of a quick flip. They offered me 39K. Obviously the car is worth more than that, but I doubt Carmax will work for you at this time.

Get an x-ray or MRI and see if its a congenital defect like dysplasia. This can be fixed surgically with a periacetabular osteotomy (PAO) procedure for people younger than 45. At your age and depending on your weight and activity level, a total replacement would likely have to be redone in your 50’s (or sooner) and again in your 70’s.

1 Like

Hoping the 9 month pullahead is still there in December which is the soonest I can exercise it. Car has less than 3,400 miles on it at this time and I’ll probably park it soon and start using my Pacifica again. It’s really depressing how quickly these cars are dropping in value. My car had a 60-62% residual on it for a 24/10 lease last August.

I was 46 when I had my first done. Should have done it 5 years earlier. The pain was gone as soon as the bad joint was replaced.

Mine was from not being too kind to my body, snowmobiling, jetskiing, atving, jumping off things too high, etc. Oh, and a good dose of arthritis that runs in the family.

If you’re overweight, lose it. See a good surgeon. Have some good support. My wife is a saint.

2 Likes

Same here…grew up in Europe and played a lot of soccer as a kid. Right ankle, left knee and right hip are all loaded with arthritis. I’ve got a good surgeon at a hospital here in NY (Hospital for Special Surgery) that specializes in orthopedic issues.

Thats probably because of all the peeps on here that have flipped theres for a profit and carmax has been stuck for months :joy:. They have gotten smarter I guess.

4 Likes

HSS is a great hospital. My brother had his knee surgery there.

Swap-a-Lease has a program for $199 to list the car until it sells. They create a new loan offer (based on the payoff) to advertise the vehicle in their Off Lease Program at the payoff amount.

·

The problem is that pay off will be higher based on market. Before you pay them the $199, make sure your research well on how much your vehicle is going for in the region. Majority leases cars above $35k so even if its used, it will be hard seller. I looked in to that 4, 5 years ago but the customer service agent was just selling that listing hard rather than any other details.

1 Like

Mani…is the V90cc another car that loses value fast? What about the new XC60’s and XC90’s?

Im sorry, I dont keep track of used car prices. You might want to use resources such as carmax, truecar used prices, kbb and autotrader.

Mine is going on 3 months, with $2000 in price drops already. Not sure if they will drop it again or send it to a different lot.

1 Like

Good luck on your surgery. I lost interest in keeping the s90 when I found out I could flip it, but that time may have passed. Also, the first time I split my pants getting into/out of it removed any doubt about keeping it. [My hips are ok but my knees cause me to “fall” into a vehicle so close to the ground]

Have you tried something like the “car cane” from the makers of the “hurry cane” to see if something like that would help? I think it would help egress more than ingress, so it depends which causes more problems.

https://m.hammacher.com/Product/Default.aspx?sku=87853&cm_cat=ProductSEM&cm_pla=AdWordsPLA&source=PRODSEM&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-TXBRCHARIsANLixNz_t_ij3O397WxG-E_e3MQTT7sxkoVm-XK5wwxFfMt2UyCAIZcM6zcaAn4pEALw_wcB

How much would a V90cc help…isn’t it like just a couple inches taller than a S90?

1 Like

A couple of inches would definitely help. Plus I need the cargo space for my business inventory and our new dog. The S90 is my first Volvo (in over 70 cars that I’ve owned or leased). It replaced a Mercedes E350 that was comfortable but had terrible rear leg room. The new S90’s are remarkable when it comes to rear passenger room.

1 Like

Realistically, presently the S90 is a fantastic $43K car new.

You do the rest of the math.

There’s a reason they lowered their residuals.