Genesis GV80 Coming Soon

That’s not really possible since the three of the four GV 80 trims have an MSRP below than the base X5’s MSRP. So yeah, the choice isn’t really between the GV 80 and an X5. Then for the one actual comparison between a well equipped GV 80 3.5 Advanced + versus a very lightly optioned X5 40i, I would definitely pick the GV 80. It has a bigger engine and way more features.

BMW roundel is definitely a big selling point and is Hyundai’s biggest weakness but I wouldn’t call someone dumb for buying the GV 80 over a similarly prices X5. But in reality these cars aren’t direct competitors. It’s more like GV 80 versus new MDX.

Isn’t, though? I mean, the lower MSRP GV80s have a 4-cyl engine; the V6 GV80 starts at literally only $300 less than the base X5. And BMW is rather infamous for under-reporting HP. The 2 cars are literally within one inch of each other in all exterior dimensions.

I imagine that a GV80 will be better equipped but, if pre-pandemic leases for the G70 are anything to go by, the lease deals for a GV80 will not be any better (and might be somewhat worse) than the competition.

I wouldn’t call someone dumb for buying a GV80 (although I would question anyone who is buying any non-future classic car at over MSRP), but I do think the GV80 is very much a direct competitor for the X5 and imagine the Hyundai/Genesis product planners see it that way, too.

So the flip side is if Genesis thinks they are gonna move many of these at lease prices that are comparable to a similary equiped X5, yeah they are being stupid. GV80 has to have a significant price advantage.

Brokers are leasing lightly equipped X5 40i models in low to mid 6xx range. If GV80 lease prices go above $700 they are not going to sell many of them. No one is choosing a GV80 over comparably equipped X5 without a 10%-20% price premium.

Tell that to all the people paying $700+ for a palisade/telluride

From my perspective, that is the case. Some posters here are mocking people purchasing over MSRP, but I think the fundamental undertone is, Genesis itself is dumb for not trying to undercut the Germans in the way that actually matters (w/ heavily subsidized leases, rather than w/ a lower MSRP). Honestly, the only people impressed w/ the low MSRP are the auto journalists.

I get your point, but, for some reason, I can see the Palisade/Telluride being more desirable (or being more broadly desirable) in a way that the GV80 may not be. Maybe b/c the Teullride and Palisade seem significantly better than their competitors, whereas the GV80 is just another really nice entry? Just a hunch. But we shall see.

I think these two are connected. The telluride/palisade are probably the two best entries in the non luxury mid size SUV segment. They are noteable because of their quality/features relative to their MSRP. That gets them press and gets customers in the door. Then dealerships can get plenty of uninformed customers to agree to terrible leases. Although in the non luxury segment people are somewhat more likely to purchase than lease, where the Telluride/Palisade are a better deal.

There is always a fool to separate from his money. But you can’t sustain a brand on fools.

No, but considering they’re selling like hotcakes and the average deals, there are a lot of fools

1 Like

millions of them!

From a purchase perspective, you can make a good argument that they are a fine deal even at/slightly above MSRP. I would rather pay 3% over MSRP for a top trim Palisade than 6% under MSRP for a top trim Pilot. Sure it would be a few thousand more expensive but it’s a much better car. MSRP is a arbitrary number (hence 1% rule being useless :wink:). For purchases the buyer has to determine actual value.

Now the fool leasing it for $750 a month is a different story. Of course we know he could be driving a well equipped X5. But most Americans don’t understand how lease prices work/that they only very very loosely correspond to MSRP.

https://www.genesisofwayne.com/new/Genesis/2021-Genesis-GV80-4733f61f0a0e0a17698ea0af00f6c15e.htm

As configured:

3k markup on an albeit VERY nice Hyundai/Kia product?

I’m waiting to see how the LH community reacts.

3 Likes

First one I’ve seen hit the market… Given what the palisade/telluride were doing at first, this is probably a very reasonable price if you have to be the first on the block with one.

4 Likes

$76k Hyundai? No, thanks. I still can’t accept Volvos with $75k sticker, even at 10% off

7 Likes

I can see someone reacting already!

Over MSRP for a Genesis? Guess I’ll go buy that GLE/X5 instead. Thanks for the offer!

I’m sure these will be deeply discounted once Genesis floods lots with them like the G70

edit: there’s a dealer in NJ already offering $4k off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d be curious to see the actual sticker. There were Hyundai/kia dealers advertising stuff like $5k off!*

*$5k off market price of $10k over MSRP.

1 Like

Here it is! Looks like it’s about 4k off

Interesting. It doesn’t show up on the dealer’s website.

Yeah nah I’ll pass

$4,550 off MSRP in Fort Walton Beach, Florida and a few $3600 off in Georgia…