Genesis GV80 Coming Soon

Looks like the new Genesis GV80 SUV has been leaked out. Looks ok IMO. Wonder how much interest it will get

This thing will probably be a huge hit considering how well the Telluride was received. Canā€™t wait to buy a $60k loaded low mileage 3 year old example for $15k. As with all Genesis models, resale will likely be abysmal as usual.

2 Likes

Iā€™m conflicted about the design. Itā€™s okay I guess. I donā€™t think it moves things forward really but then again, itā€™s a luxury 3 row SUV so I should manage expectations accordingly. I get some baby Bentayga vibes from it, probably from the very large, very shiny grille.

I still donā€™t understand why they didnā€™t fastrack the GV70 which Genesis themselves acknowledge will be the biggest seller in the line-up. It all feels a bit too little too late to me but weā€™ll see. I can totally see ā€˜Genesisā€™ dealers giving this a $10k mark-up to begin with or something equally stupid.

The exterior is ok, nothing special. Interior is really nice in my opinion. I would say for a fact this is beats out the Enclave, QX60, XT6.

Those were all sedans. These new SUVs will hold their value better. I donā€™t understand the craze but thatā€™s where the market is.

People willing to pay $500+ for practically useless subcompacts like the NX

4 Likes

I like it. Unique design for this segment at this price point.

Wish US gets the diesel, that thing is a killer

Forget the dieselā€¦assuming this comes with the 3.3TT its a JB4 away from ~425HP. Look at some number that stingers are putting down. The 3.3TT is no jokeā€¦

I have zero doubts this will outsell all of their sedans in no time. Not a fan of the quad headlights, but the rest of the design language looks to be very ā€œGenesisā€ and could be a huge win for the luxury brand, and might be the point where they start to eclipse other near-luxury brands.

Iā€™m impressed with the exterior, itā€™s very nice, the interior is even better.
Not a huge fan of the steering wheel, but the rest seems very nice, check the video I posted, itā€™s gonna be a huge seller in the US, for the right price.

1 Like

In fairness, thatā€™s not difficult to do as the near luxury brands are all floundering with some fairly ageing models. Lincoln and Caddy are starting to move in the right direction.

• Lexus - desperately needs to update the RX & NX and get a proper 3 row in their line up.
  • Acura - I canā€™t even name their 3 row SUV? Some sort of combination of irrelevant letters.
  • Infiniti - Nope. Just no.
  • Buick - Exists.

I mainly see this as competition for the XC90. Except this will have deliciously smooth V6 power. I guess it might pull in some X3 / X5 owners who are fed up of sitting in BMW service centres.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha

Agreed but somehow despite it being so obvious, new entrants keep missing the mark. Eg the RXLā€™s third row is a joke. Also obvious would have been using Lexusā€™ usual product strategy and basing it off an existing Toyota platform like the Highlander.

1 Like

Only if it leases well. Otherwise, I donā€™t see it happening since I think BMWs can have decent reliability for the first 3 yrsā€¦

1 Like

Easily their best looking vehicle to date. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll sell way more of these than they did with their sedan lineup. Hopefully these donā€™t get as stale as the G sedans felt after the first couple years.

1 Like

The QV80 will be receiving Hyundaiā€™s 2.5T with about 290 hp and a 3.5TT (new engine) with about 390 hp.

3.3TT is ominously missing despite making the most sense to keep it. This tells me genesis is making an attempt to accelerate into a luxury brand quicker and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if for the G90 and G80 Sport they dropped the 3.3TT in favor of the 3.5 liter unit.

Did not expect the 3.3TTā€™s days to be numbered this quick. Makes no sense to have two V6 twin-turbo engines so close in displacement in the lineup.

1 Like

RX is based on the Highlander platform. For some odd reason they are always a year or two behind the Highlander with model update and for ā€œprestigeā€ reasons they were avoiding the 3rd row seats as long as they could. New Highlander is just coming out, with a bit of luck 2021 RX will also get a complete overhaul, if not 2022 will get one for sure.

On the GV80 - I have to admit I really like the styling of it.

Then itā€™s even more ridiculous that the RXL doesnā€™t have third row accommodations similar to a Highlander

The G70, their first real car as a luxury standalone mark, hasnā€™t even been out a whole year. Most people say mine is the only one theyā€™ve ever seen. I have probably seen 2 others in all of Southern California.

The gv80 and gv70 will both be huge successes. Genesis knows how to make a great car