Genesis GV80 Coming Soon

From my perspective, that is the case. Some posters here are mocking people purchasing over MSRP, but I think the fundamental undertone is, Genesis itself is dumb for not trying to undercut the Germans in the way that actually matters (w/ heavily subsidized leases, rather than w/ a lower MSRP). Honestly, the only people impressed w/ the low MSRP are the auto journalists.

I get your point, but, for some reason, I can see the Palisade/Telluride being more desirable (or being more broadly desirable) in a way that the GV80 may not be. Maybe b/c the Teullride and Palisade seem significantly better than their competitors, whereas the GV80 is just another really nice entry? Just a hunch. But we shall see.

I think these two are connected. The telluride/palisade are probably the two best entries in the non luxury mid size SUV segment. They are noteable because of their quality/features relative to their MSRP. That gets them press and gets customers in the door. Then dealerships can get plenty of uninformed customers to agree to terrible leases. Although in the non luxury segment people are somewhat more likely to purchase than lease, where the Telluride/Palisade are a better deal.

There is always a fool to separate from his money. But you can’t sustain a brand on fools.

No, but considering they’re selling like hotcakes and the average deals, there are a lot of fools

1 Like

millions of them!

From a purchase perspective, you can make a good argument that they are a fine deal even at/slightly above MSRP. I would rather pay 3% over MSRP for a top trim Palisade than 6% under MSRP for a top trim Pilot. Sure it would be a few thousand more expensive but it’s a much better car. MSRP is a arbitrary number (hence 1% rule being useless :wink:). For purchases the buyer has to determine actual value.

Now the fool leasing it for $750 a month is a different story. Of course we know he could be driving a well equipped X5. But most Americans don’t understand how lease prices work/that they only very very loosely correspond to MSRP.

https://www.genesisofwayne.com/new/Genesis/2021-Genesis-GV80-4733f61f0a0e0a17698ea0af00f6c15e.htm

As configured:

3k markup on an albeit VERY nice Hyundai/Kia product?

I’m waiting to see how the LH community reacts.

3 Likes

First one I’ve seen hit the market… Given what the palisade/telluride were doing at first, this is probably a very reasonable price if you have to be the first on the block with one.

4 Likes

$76k Hyundai? No, thanks. I still can’t accept Volvos with $75k sticker, even at 10% off

7 Likes

I can see someone reacting already!

Over MSRP for a Genesis? Guess I’ll go buy that GLE/X5 instead. Thanks for the offer!

I’m sure these will be deeply discounted once Genesis floods lots with them like the G70

edit: there’s a dealer in NJ already offering $4k off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d be curious to see the actual sticker. There were Hyundai/kia dealers advertising stuff like $5k off!*

*$5k off market price of $10k over MSRP.

1 Like

Here it is! Looks like it’s about 4k off

Interesting. It doesn’t show up on the dealer’s website.

Yeah nah I’ll pass

$4,550 off MSRP in Fort Walton Beach, Florida and a few $3600 off in Georgia…

It’s a free market economy here in the States. I am sure it will find its buyer soon. Probably not a LH member though…

I suppose as even mainstream brands become more expensive from a sticker price perspective the luxury brands have to adjust their pricing accordingly, even if it’s all BS and balanced out eventually with incentives. Otherwise they end up looking like the undesirably cheap option in the segment.

1 Like

Inflating MSRP is the easiest way to rip off people who think “1% means you’re not getting ripped off”

3 Likes

I wonder how many of these will be running around as rental cars in not so distant future.