Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

When having to ask for Money Factor being used on a potential deal over the phone, I received several replies:

“It is really not that important since it’s such a small number.”

“Why does it mean anything if this is the car you want?” (was not actually the car I wanted)

“Negotiate price, the Money Factor changes the deal by only a few dollars a month.”

“How can a number that starts with 0.01 have much of an effect on anything.”

Turns out the Money Factor was 0.0133, 40 bps higher than base BMW of 0.00093. They started to negotiate after I thanked them for their time and was going to hang up the phone. Why trust a dealer that needs to make up that many excuses for something that should be transparent?

2 Likes

They need to pay for the Jonnie Walker Blue at the nightly victory party and you just spoiled it.

2 Likes

When I asked the one dealer for those items-RV, MF and the like, I was told “we aren’t allowed to disclose that”

Well that’s one way to not get a deal.

3 Likes

Let’s just skip the complications, it’s so small already go ahead and make it 0.

5 Likes

1942 or I walk.

I have heard this one as well on another deal.

Only if BMW MSDs actually did something these days :cry:

2 Likes

It’s also not a great way to shop for a lease.

2 Likes

If you drink whisky - you drink single malt.

4 Likes

I wasn’t really at a dealer to shop for a lease. I was only there for the test drives. None of the dealers in the nj/ny area for bmw seem game to do a legit deal. Knew this was going via a broker when it was time to actually do the deal.

kia dealer asking me what’s wrong with their $900/month stinger lease offer.

this was in january, im afraid to see what kind of numbers they are now…

1 Like

It’s basically a Lamborghini

Got this when I was working on my Sonata deal.

“Hi Doug this is N___e again I wanted to let you know the SE you are looking at was a service loner so it has 3,000 mi so on a lease you would have to pay for those up front it is .15 cents a mile but we could move you up to a SEL without the millage.”

I wonder if they charge mileage on their used cars as well.

4 Likes

Well, they do have to adjust the residual lower to account for the miles, and you’re paying the difference between the residual and the selling price, so it’s basically correct, but probably not the best framing.

1 Like

My favorite was when I was looking to order my car, had one of my competing dealerships claim that it is “illegal for them to sell a vehicle below the affiliate price”. He claimed they absolutely had to offer the affiliate price, or the manufacturer would pull all programs from the dealer. He told him that’s simply not true. Nice try, though.

Volvo dealers could not sell below invoice on a-plan without violating Volvo’s policy, so…

1 Like

This was a manufacture that I know allows it. There were several others on that car forum who described their deals. I ended up purchasing mine for less than the affiliate pricing as well.

Right. But there may be consequences for any dealer if they don’t follow their manufacturer’s rules.

I’ve been looking for a couple of Tundra’s for cash purchase, found one with a $2462 discount listed as dealership discount. Asked for a price sheet based on my zip code, I was told “sure we’ll send it right away”, then it became “we’ll send first thing in the morning” only to find the next day “the msrp is $37,XXX” in my inbox. Asked again for a stupid price sheet again only to be told they need an exact address to calculate fees accurately… weird. Then the best part came when the next day they sent me an email “I do also want to inform you there is an out of state fee on our vehicles. For the tundra its a $2500 fee. Would you like me to price out the vehicle still?” can’t make this stuff up. They also communicate with personal videos which I find really annoying. Called to talk to a manager and told me the price is $37 instead of $35 and claimed I was lying about the price and to send him a screenshot…

1 Like

Recently went to a Toyota dealership where the dealer was forcing me to buy a used Toyota off them. He was trying to convince me a used Corolla LE with 50,000 MILES was worth $28,000. So I decided I may as well get a new one. And then he had the nerve to tell me that a new one would cost $6000 more. Since when did Corolla’s jump into the luxury sedan market? Biggest waste of 2 hours. The dealership was Lia Toyota of Rockland. Avoid them like the plague.

3 Likes