Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

Test drove a car.

Salesperson came back with a 2.5% of msrp offer on a base model loaner with 2.5k at signing.

4 Likes

Should start a new thread ā€œsaddest dealership moments when the dealer was actually seriousā€.

5 Likes

To be fair, it couldā€™ve been age, ethnicity, or the dealer just being a dealer.

Letā€™s be honest, if any kid walks confidently into a high end dealer alone, theyā€™re not giving him a great deal.

2 Likes

I was just about to say that the only CJDR dealership in NJ that Iā€™ve dealt with and had a good experience with was Buhler. Iā€™ve never had a good experience with any dealership north of Buhler. Never tried Ramsey, RT4 in Paramus was the furthest north Iā€™ve tried and I actually leased a car from them that ended up being a lemon.

That being said, shoutout to Nielsen on RT 10 in East Hanover, RT46 CJDR in Little Falls for being the 2 worst car dealerships I think Iā€™ve ever dealt with - including shady used car dealerships that are being sued by the state for baiting and switching, fraud, lying to consumers, selling branded title claiming they have clean titles, etc.

Unhonorable mentions: Decozen CJDR in Verona, NJ, Teterboro CJDR in Teterboro, NJ, CJDR of Paramus on RT4 in Paramus, NJ, Autoland CJDR on RT 22 in Springfield, NJ, Sansone CJDR in Avenel, NJ for being way below average in multiple different experiences/deals many years apart. I gave every dealership above at least 3 chances and none of them have ever ended even somewhat professionally or well. They all made me wait hours before being able to see a car, have terrible service, come out with terrible deals and argue about what other dealerships are offering. Hell, 3 out of 4 dealerships that have ever ā€œlostā€ a key to my trade have been CJDR dealerships. (The other being a Lynnes Nissan in Bloomfield, NJ). What I basically found out is that thereā€™s basically no good CJDR dealership in NJ.

1 Like

I have been fairly pleased with Route 1 in Lawrenceville. Bought our van there nearly 7 yrs ago, and their service dept has been great. They are the only CJDR service dept within 50 miles who doesnā€™t overcharge and doesnā€™t push any extra services. Never tried to lease there, so take it for what itā€™s worth.

1 Like

My local Volvo service department - amazing!

Sales - they do their job and try and make money.

Late 2019, while my wife was pregnant with our second son, we were shopping SUVs. Walked into a Honda dealer to look at pilot. Salesman asked us when we were looking to purchase and we told him in the next month or two. He said it was too early to do a test drive and we should come back when we were ready to purchase. Pure insanity.

6 Likes

Yes, I would recommend Buhler to all. Thatā€™s where I got the Overland. Manager emailed me back immediately with a more competitive offer and I did everything docusign and they delivered to me like 30 miles away. I also had a good experience with Freehold Jeep a couple years ago but the salesperson I worked with no longer works there and the manager this last time around never answered my email.

1 Like

One of the luxury brands that cost more than 75kā€¦

2 Likes

These are my absolute favorite. This is often said more times then not.

Few of my favorites:

ā€œMake sure you check the entire deal because I have seen far to often dealers not putting all the details in.ā€

ā€œI will buy you a steak dinner if you show me signed contract with said numbersā€ or some cash payment.

ā€œAt that discount I would have to close the dealershipā€

11 Likes

Canā€™t they just admit they are dealing with a knowledgeable customer and say sorry we arenā€™t willing to discount that much good luck elsewhere instead of acting like itā€™s some unheard of offer.

12 Likes

Iā€™d fully respect that answer if they gave it, but most of them act like they are personally offended by your desire for that kind of discount.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s been my experience- when my wife wanted really wanted a GLS- we wanted to shop local so I went to tell them what Iā€™d pay for it, basically a sticker price deal with base MF cuz I wanted to get the deal done and over with

They countered with a 2% off and huge mark up- yielding a deal that was essentially 10k above sticker deal when correcting for MF.

I told them Iā€™d take the car now, letā€™s get it done they acted like I was crazy for not agreeing to their deal. They didnā€™t budge and kept calling me to see what I think about their offer and if Iā€™m ready to sign.

2 Likes

After asking about difference between my calculations and theirs, I was once told that I am not ā€œrunning the money factor for the full price of the lease.ā€ I later find out that they ā€œlowered the dealer feeā€ by raising the discount.

More dealers are pretty straightforward in saying ā€œwe are way off, but good luckā€ instead of the series of excuses they think will make people justify their 2.0% discounts.

3 Likes

The old throw the trade keys on the roof trick, thatā€™s standard FCA/CJDR practice

3 Likes

Gotta love the oleā€™ ā€œyour presence is your powerā€ nonsense lol

6 Likes

For every person that actually buys a car after committing to numbers over the phone/email, there are at least 10 more that do not. Either they ghost you, were never serious, or try renegotiating. This changes as you move up to highline cars (lots of out of state deals) but for volume brands, more often than not remote deals fall through. You gotta invest time into scenarios with higher closing probabilities, which would be in person deals.

11 Likes

Iā€™ll have to keep that in mind when itā€™s time to get my oil change. I tried leasing from them and they absolutely would not play ball or compete with the Gladiator quote I got. They were in the 500s I believe.

2 Likes

I had a manager at Vann CDJR in Jersey straight up tell me that the numbers I wanted made no sense for him when he knew that he would never see me again in his service bays since there were several closer dealers to me. I had to respect that. He also said he would pay me 100 bucks if I showed him a contract that was 7% behind invoice on a Gladiator but he never coughed up.

2 Likes

This speaks to an approach of making a direct offer, making it clear youā€™ll be in to close ASAP, and be gracious. That way, itā€™s an easy, low friction lead that either turns into a quick yes or a quick no with minimal time lost for all parties.

2 Likes