Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

I was joking lol, I know you talk about them on here a lot haha

1 Like

Oh I totally agree but this dealer had that asterisk as well, says pricing is only an estimate, does not include TTL or documentation, etc. I clicked through. The sales guy even mentioned that in his reply also towards the bottom.

My only point was that the sales guy was professional and polite in his replies, not funny or ridiculous, which is the theme of this thread after all. Telling you to drive your new car purchased elsewhere off a cliff, now thatā€™s funny :grinning:

1 Like

Not on the PDF lease summary you get after committing to purchase or lease. It does say the dealer does not have to honor it, of course, but makes no mention of additional fees or accessories.

Theme of thread is obviously subjective. Iā€™m sorry my story was not up to your standards. I have more but I guess Iā€™ll keep them for the other forum.

The asterisks are only for advertising since the TTL cannot be known ahead of time.

Once a consumer has provided their zip for TTL calculations purposes, it is absolutely ridiculous for any asterisks to remain.

2 Likes

True, might be good business, but it does mean Iā€™ll go somewhere else to get my cars. I told them I am not looking for them to match the deal I can get somewhere I have to fly to and drive home, but he has to be in the same ballpark, not $150+ more a month for a custom order. But since ordering a car and delivering it wasnā€™t worth it to him not getting his normal margin so be it.

Absolutely - itā€™s the reason central pa luxury market is what it is, people will shop as far away as NYC for a deal.

I donā€™t see Faulkner, sun, or anyone else folding soon. They have their clientele, expand elsewhere, and make money.

Yep, exactly how I got my new car - a broker here, a short flight and a 7hr drive home saved me a lot of money.

They usually call those asterisks ā€œPlus Plusā€

1 Like

Fair enough. In this calculator the fine print is listed on the bottom of the first page when you first enter the inputs and it spits out the payment.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This information is intended as an estimate and is not a sales contract. It is not a final representation of your pricingā€¦

Agreed but in this calculator the zip is provided for incentive purposes and not TTL.

ENTER ZIP CODE FOR AVAILABLE LOCAL OFFERS AND INCENTIVES

And then of course in the fine printā€¦

1. Tax, Title, and License are extra. 2. Estimated tax includes state, county and city taxes based on the location of the dealer. Taxes due at delivery may varyā€¦

All of this crap is just the usual minefield you have to navigate through as a vigilant car shopper these days.

I did one of these ā€œbuy onlineā€ things and once I put in my zip it was very very close to what I calculated based on their online priceā€¦ so I agree it is ridiculous to have a tool that gives you a lease price based on their dealer discount (without incentives) and for the dealer to act like you are crazy.

They have a right to not honor it as the disclaimer states.

But it is funny or ridiculous for them to act like the numbers it generated are false and off by 5000 (in the case of a Camaro thatā€™s around 40% error)

3 Likes

They could stick it in anything and sell it, I think it didnā€™t fit in the jeep, might be the same issue for the Pacifica.

Wish your dealer had one last year, would have been done and over with :grimacing:.

Interesting enough, I got a fantastic quote from Faulkner early last year. Hardly had to fight for it.

If I could give 2 hearts, I would. lol.

1 Like

Their Chevy dealer was pretty bad when I reached out. They had no idea what they were talking about and when I called them out on things the response I got was ā€œWell we sell a lot of these thingsā€. In reference to a Bolt. In a state with no incentives or tax breaks. In the dead of winter.

1 Like

The Jeep dealer I mentioned was the ā€œsecond largestā€ in my state and the salesman kept reiterating that he could beat any deal of any other dealer because of the volume they got. Wouldnā€™t even give me a quote over email, so I budged and went in just to get told my father needed to run his credit to get a quote. They claimed they didnā€™t want people ā€œshopping around their dealsā€ and that running credit would make it more likely for someone to buy the car??? :rofl: Word for word.

1 Like

It wouldnā€™t surprise me at all if this was true. Thereā€™s an emotional hurdle that doing a credit pull pushes many over. It creates momentum in the transaction.

1 Like

Also the perception that each hard pull lowers your score.

1 Like

My favorite is when they ask - when is your birthday? -oh my sons/wifeā€™s birthday is on same day.

2 Likes

Me (after researching and finding a reasonable discount to ask for):

Hi! I am interested in the X model you have for sale - Stock#. I am interested in leasing this vehicle at a sale price of $ before any rebates/incentives and buy rate Money Factor. If you can meet this price, I am ready to sign the lease remotely. Thank you for your time.

What I expect:

Sorry I canā€™t do this deal at that price, we are too far off. All the best.

Yes I think we can make that price work, please provide information for a quote.

We canā€™t make that price but we can do $.

We canā€™t do such a big discount on that car. How about this other one instead?

Reality:

Can only talk over phone (You read my email and sent me a reply, why do we need to talk?)

When are you COMING IN?

If you get it at that price, get one for me too!

Where did you get this price from?

Yes we can do it (turns out they include rebates in the discount and markup MF)

Silence followed up by survey 2 days later

Thatā€™s not a fair offer and you know it (spoiler: It was a fair offer)

Is someone else giving you that price?

Canā€™t talk price without credit check

It gets really tiring really quickly. The dealers must have gotten enough emails at this point to understand a serious and well-researched offer. It canā€™t be a good use of their time to send replies like these.

Are there any tips to cut-out the BS and get a solid response from dealers? (even if they donā€™t want to do the deal)

3 Likes